Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help! new to forum but have had dobe's for awhile. today the vet informed me that my 18mo. old female fawn had "pig hair". the tech. name is alope...i don't remember the rest. however, she shouldn't be bred asnd it's not curable. has anyone had the happen before? any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. thanks tracy:sadcry:

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Joce has a good point. What are you feeding her? Go into detail of what she gets on a daily basis. There are alot of good Super premium brands of dog food out there that have all the necessary ingrediants to promote healthy skin and coats. This will help alot. Also, has her thyroid been tested? If not, it may be well worth to get a full panel done on her. This will atleast rule something else out. I won't rule out a vets diagnosis, but I still have not found a vet that really understands the doberman yet. I heard the best plcae to have the thyroid test done at is at Michigan University. I tried to have my vet get it done there, but they balked at it. I had my girls done at 1, just to have a baseline and am planning to have it done yearly just to monitor it. Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a blue female once that had the same thing. That was so many years ago that it was hard to find a vet that even knew what it was. I wish you luck in the treatments, or suppliments or however you go about combatting this thing. Your vet was right, it's not curable, but in many cases can be controlled. Keep us informed about this, because I have a sister in law w/ a fawn female that just turned 2 yrs old, and she is always expecting it to show up in hers, but so far, been negative.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
We have a blue female. thank the Lord she does not have Alopecia. But when we did get her, her coat was a mess. Very thin, bald in some areas. After getting her to the vet to make sure everything else was good with her. (she had whipworms)we started her on nutro chicken and rice and then to Chicken Soup dog food. also we followed the advise on this website and the results were amazing to say the least. the Vet was so surprised how great she looked in only a couple of months. I truely think that the better dog food, and vitamins really helped. also a gentler shampoo. plus now she is a house dog. Blue and fawns have a hard time being out in the sun all day! here is the website--http://www.seattle-attorney.com/storm/sup.html
Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts