Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Skin Infection

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  friskybinx 
#1 ·
Hey guys ---

I'm posting this for a friend because she's having some issues with her lab. He has a vet appointment on Tuesday, but she's trying to find some kind of remedy for him until them to make his skin feel better. Here's a picture of his neck:
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss341/seeknsnazzy/IMAG0467.jpg

I don't have any of the issue inside his legs, but it's all over the soft inner spot. Do you have ANY idea what this is? Maybe ringworm? He itches constantly and it's super red. The neck issue popped up this morning but in between his legs has been going on for a few days. If you know of anything, please let me know so her poor boy can at least be comfortable while they wait for the vet appointment. She's tried everything including multiple shampoos, skin irritation stuff, etc.

#3 ·
I'll second the Benadryl to calm down the itching at least on a temporary basis.

What does she feed? Do you know?

Sometimes a diet that is too "hot" (too much protein or too much fat) will produce pyoderma-like inflamations that look like that. The answer if that's the case is to put the dog on a more moderate diet, cut down on fat and protein if it's being added to a kibble diet.

But I wouldn't want to wait until Tuesday for an appointment with my vet--I think I'd be asking to get the dog in on an "urgent" basis. Those kinds of things (like hot spots) can spread and become VERY painful and itchy very quickly.

And on a dog like a lab usually they will end up being clipped to the skin in all affected areas and because those raw patches become infected easily and the dogs end up on steriods to stop the itch/scratch cycle and antibiotics to stop the secondary infections and you still are left having to figure out what started the whole process.

Good luck

#5 ·
No, that is not ringworm. I don't know what it is, but that poor boy should have seen the vet yesterday if possible. I would tell her to try to get the appointment up to monday.

I third on the benadryll. She can give 1 mg for every pound or one 25 mg pill per 25 lbs every 8 hrs. So if the dog weights 75 lbs then she would give him 3 pills every 8 hrs if needed.

I couldn't give a guess to that bad of a condition. Good luck to her and her poor dog.

Oh, just the PLAIN benadryl, not the cold one.

#6 ·
I'll fill her in on all of this. I practically had to force her to go to the vet (They apparently don't think this is a big issue..) They claim to have tried benadryl but it didn't work and it just made him sleepy. I've been begging for her to take him sooner, and almost offered to pay for it just to get him seen by someone.

The only reason I suspected ringworm is because I think one of her cats is going through the same thing. Constantly licking & thinning out spots of her fur because of it. But the other cat is fine..

She said the infected areas seem to sweating, too, because they get very moist. I'm just trying to get ideas so that poor dog can get some kind of relief :( I wish I had a picture of the inside of his legs. They were beat red and looked awful. All they did was buy a cone so he'd stop itching. Just thank the lord they finally decided to take him..

#7 ·
I wonder if it is hot spots. I dont have much experience with them, but I know they are moist, beet red and itch badly. I would turn them in to animal control if they dont follow thru and it will probably take more than one vet visit. Seriously, if they had places like that, you bet they would hotfoot it to their doctor asap, the jerks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.