Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Im new to this forum and new to being a doberman owner. Our pup is literally the best ever considering she is a massive 3 month old.

so last Thursday we got her ears done, so we are on day 5. everything seems like its healing well beyond the fact of trying to prevent her from scratching them and flipping on them when shes playing, I am concerned about the edge of one ear which has a bulge due to the stitch looking too tight.

the vet is an hour and a half from my house at best so hoping to get some educated responses here before driving her out there for fear of something happening to my baby. appreciate anyones time to respond to a new doberman dad!
Grey Sleeve Tints and shades Wood Comfort

Sleeve Grey Comfort Bag Tints and shades

Attachments

· Big Lil pup
8,967 Posts
Hi dv. Welcome to you and your pup from the Pacific NW.

If you are concerned, why not shoot the cropping vet a photo. It is pretty self explanatory. These days, most vets are doing a lot more long distance consults and tentative diagnoses without a physical presence. They could let you know right away if you need to come in.

John L
Portland OR

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey John thanks for the quick reply. Ive attempted to try that but the vet we went do does not offer that... literally walk ins only. kind of archaic but nevertheless it is what it is. I took her to her regular vet yesterday to get her 2nd to last round of shots and they didnt seem too concerned but also suggested the same as you.

I suppose I gotta block off the rest of the day and make a trip out there to give me some peace of mind.

· Premium Member
14,952 Posts
If her regular vet looked at it didn't seem too concerned I probably wouldn't be either. It looks like (because that's either the first of last stitch up the ear--it's where it was tied off and those fairly often end up being a little too tight. But unless the area appeared to be infected (oozing goop or even bleeding) I wouldn't be all that concerned.

When are you supposed to go back to have the stitches taken out? If you are on day 5 a fair number of vets want to pull those stitches at 7 days--so if it's only going to be a couple more days and it didn't appear to be infected I probably wouldn't make a special trip.

But you've had one vet who saw it and wasn't concerned and just told you to take the puppy back to the cropper and ask their opinion. I think that would be enough for me to just wait until I was going to take the puppy in to have the stitches removed.

dobebug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts