Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to this site hello everyone.

I have a 2yrs 6mth Doberman (female) since she was a tiny puppy she has had canine achne which she was treated for by our vets on several occasions. As they kept bursting and bleeding. Then she started to chew and suck her one side, then her paws, then rubbing her head on sofas, carpet and us. The vet then decided to check for allergies. They did the blood test which highlighted she was allergic to pretty much everything they tested for.

The vet has now started her on a tablet call Atopica this has stopped the stops on her chin reduced all chewing and rubbing and has really calmed her down. We also put on her on a fish based diet and add salmon oil to it. Over the past few days my husband and I have notice tiny White spots around her eyes (not on them) and small bumps over her body also hair loss on neck, belly and hind quarters.

We are now lost and not sure what to do we are considering to changing her to raw diet.

Is there anyone else that has had a similar problems or any suggestion of what we should do next?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If you search the forum, there are a lot of threads about dobermans and their allergies. People say the best food a dog can be on is raw, but it must be balanced and can take some time to prepare and sanitize afterwards. There is also talk about salmon oil and sardines to help with itching and redness. Kelp powder has also been mentioned to help with horrible coat and skin.

Sorry your going through this, has your vet done a full thyroid blood panel?

·
Registered
452 Posts
My dobe had skin staph with thousands of scabs/pimples all over her body. She never itched or scratched but she looked horrible, lost hair and had "moth eaten" look around her eyes and ankles. The first round of antibiotics (doxycycline) didn't do anything but the second one with cephalexin did the trick and her skin cleared up completely and her coat is starting to thicken up.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,340 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. When you said she is allergic to almost everything, is it environmental or food? Did they do a skin test. For the skin acne, make sure you are using Stainless Steel bowls and after each meal wipe her chin off. Baron has severe environmental allergies and is on allergy shots every 21 days. He also gets a Zyrtec (not decongestive kind) onece or twice a day and Zyrtec eye drops once days. His allergies manifest around his eyes. But one he was around 1 1/2 or 2 he had staff which finally resolved itself. Best of luck getting this resolved.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Going to a raw diet (with sardines) has really helped Delta's skin allergies, which were thought to be predominantly environmental. But she also never had the acne, or white spots like you mention. I wonder if she could also be reacting to either the medication or the new diet? Is it possible the white spots are something else entirely? Have you mentioned those to the vet yet?

At this point, I would think it might be worth it to try a raw diet, and keep close track of what you put it it, to see if it helps and also to try to narrow down what she could be reacting to.

Also, if you aren't already, try wiping her paws off with a clean slightly damp towel when she comes in from playing in the grass? Anything you can do to reduce her contact with the allergens can only help.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Full Panel Thyroid testing, try a Holistic Grain Free food, add a good probiotic to food, keep up with the fish oil. We do 2,000 mg a day or a can of Sardines in pure olive oil, or another thing to look at is Krill oil, 400iu Vit E a day, raw organic egg every day.
For sure use stainless steel bowles and wash them out after every meal.
Any time you are treating with an antibiotic you should be giving a good probiotic to restore the good bacteria in the intestinal tract.
For sure a Raw diet is the best. It can be expensive to buy a pre made. If making your own you will have to add other things to it. There are a lot of owners on this site that do it and can give advice. Read up about it.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Raw is always an excellent choice for your dog. However, my personal experience with a severly allergy prone dog was that even unenhanced, low sodium chicken and poultry products caused skin allergies on my boy, and because of the costs of not feeding poultry, I switched to a high quality kibble. Since it is rare that dogs are allergic to raw chicken, I assume it was just the processing that made him break out more.

If you wanna go ahead of with the raw diet just be careful and watch her on chicken products, and if you can afford to not feed it, even better! (Then again your girl may be perfectly fine with chicken, just throwing my personal experience out there if you seem to still have trouble with the raw). Good luck, these allergy/skin problems are tough!

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
I would probably go for a consult with a veterinary dermatologist before I made any changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts