Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if Maui is on target with her weight. Her last vet visit she weighed 20.6 lbs, she is 3 months old. It has been a long time since I've had a dobie puppy, so I can't remember. The vet says she is fine and healthy and that she's going to start looking like I starve the poor thing. I feed her 3 times a day right now (she is slowing down a little, not finishing all her food, I think she is more interested in playing). Does this sound about right to anyone?

·
Registered
795 Posts
my pup is 28 lbs and today for some reason she looks "skinny" to me too. I know she's healthy but Im wondering if its another puppy phase they go through before they start to fill out. I know what you mean about losing interest in the food, she gobbles then runs away to play so I have to constantly redirect her back to her bowl. We are giving her 1 1/4 kibble mixed with a little canned three times a day, not sure if I should up that or not at this stage of puppyhood.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
If the vet says she is ok, then I wouldn't worry. It's hard to compare because not only do dogs grow at different rates, they end up at different sizes :) It's sounds within a normal range if that helps. Flirt is BIG, and GREW FAST and was 22 lbs at 10 weeks, but she's too big for a female.

I would only feed her what she'll eat if you want to make good eating habits. And if she runs away to paly, I'd pick up the food and put it away. I would try again in say an hour since she's a puppy. But I teach my dogs from day 1, you eat when food comes out period.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Adara thanks for the advice. I know you are right with not chasing her with the bowl. lol. She was just weighed this past friday and was 28 lbs, but today when i woke up i saw ribs and i didnt see ribs yesterday so I didnt know if that was normal or not. thanks so much for the words of wisdom. I have to be less of a softie with her. lol.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Adara thanks for the advice. I know you are right with not chasing her with the bowl. lol. She was just weighed this past friday and was 28 lbs, but today when i woke up i saw ribs and i didnt see ribs yesterday so I didnt know if that was normal or not. thanks so much for the words of wisdom. I have to be less of a softie with her. lol.
I should add I learned from my mistake. I had a 12-15 month old Dobe boy who wouldn't eat unless HAND FED then I had to force feed him and I created the mess. Now not all dogs wil be quite that bad but if I can prevent anyone from going down that path, I hope to do so :) It's horribly stressful.

Started out coaxing himto eat, giving him more time, adding goodies, adding different goodies, changing food, adding goodies, changing food, adding more goodies, trying this, that....so on and so on and so on...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.