Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been lurking ariund this forum for some time now, while looking for breeder with good reputation - trying to soak in as much info as possible to make right decision about choosing our new puppy.

I think I found the right combination of things, but a question/concern regarding the size popped up in my head just today. I'm looking at EUROPEAN blood line puppies. Male is 28 3/8" or 72cm and female is on the shorter size at 24 3/4" or 63cm with ZTP SG 1B ( SG penalized for the size). Compared to her other sibblings and female dogs that breeder owns, she is on the small side for sure. I'm curious about how genetics works for size. I'm getting male and i'm little bit concerned as how this might affect him. I have not seen puppies yet as there is some travel involved, but will see the whole litter on the pickup day.

Please share your thoughts.

Cheers!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
well if the breeder you have chosen really knows their dogs and can evaluate puppies.........they should be able to give you a very good idea on the adult size of the puppy chosen for you................

:)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Is size the most important thing in what puppy you get?

If I remember the standard right, this sire is near the top of standard so it would make sense to breed a smaller dog to him. Another example - my boy's breeder has a beautiful bitch. She's got her CH but her eyes are quite light so in looking for the right stud she needs to make sure that he has dark eyes. If the breeder knows what they're doing I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is size the most important thing in what puppy you get?
Absolutely not :) I'm just trying to find a family working companion with optimal combination of factors such as health, temperament and appearance with possibility to participate in dog sports, possibly ring show - yes in that order of importance :)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well if the breeder you have chosen really knows their dogs and can evaluate puppies.........they should be able to give you a very good idea on the adult size of the puppy chosen for you................

:)
I see, that's a good advise. I was not sure if that is possible. This is a second litter for this female, so breeder should have an idea about what puppies are being produced, I guess. I will inquire about that. Thanks again.

Cheers!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
is is possible if like i said....the breeder you have chosen knows their dogs and can evaluate their pups. :)

a good indication of height of a mature dog is in the length of pastern when a puppy. :)

who is this breeder you have chosen?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts