Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our six week old doberman started foaming at the mouth yesterday. The people who sold us our puppy told us he must have gotten into something and to give him some peroxide so that he would vomit and get whatever out of his system. He stays inside with us and the only possible thing he might have gotten into was the grass beside our house which was sprayed a week ago by our local pest control agency. Some people at my work last night told me he might be thirsty causing him to do this. Others said it was some kind of exposure to a poison. I'm taking him tomorrow to get his 6 week shots and I'll ask the vet as to why this is happening but if anyone knows or has experienced this before please reply because it has us worried about his health.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BackInBlack said:
At 6 weeks, get him to the vet NOW!
I'm trying to get him in today. He's done it for only a minute but he has done it three times in 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Is his mouth open and his tounge haning out? If so he is just panting it sounds like to me. Did you try to give him some water? What was he doing before this happened? Was he playing a lot or was he just relaxing? If he was just relaxing he needs to go in and see a vet ASAP.

·
Registered
602 Posts
At least call the vet and let them know what is going on. They can direct you in the best possible direction for the time being. He is too young to be able to just go through the day without any serious problems (that's if he has ingested poison).

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Naveen

·
Registered
421 Posts
Get him top the vet. The pup should still be with its mom for a couple more weeks and its not going to fight anything off being stressed at this young age.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I agree that I would take him to the vet. Especially if there is a possibility of pesticides. I keep all spraying to a mininum around my yard unless pet friendly. My dogs love to graze on the yard. Specific types of grass for some reason. Anyone know why? Every dog I know loves this patch. lol. That would be the first thing that I would have thought of. Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I hope you have spoken to your vet. You never want to give an emetic such as hydogen peroxide unless you know for sure what your dog has ingested. Somethings can cause more problems coming up.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Please take that baby to the vt. he is too young to be away from his mother and like a human infant, things can change VERY quickly. better safe than sorry.
Is the pup urinating? diareahha (SP?)vomiting? actic sick? those are all signs of poisoning. I would be very hesitant to give the dog H2O2 at 6 weeks of age. keep us posted

cc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kilo's fine(foaming dobe)

Hey, took kilo to the vet and he said it seemed like an infection of somekind and put him on antibiotics for a week. We took him back on saturday morning for a next day visit(followup) and the vet said he should be just fine. Thanks for all your concerns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts