Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok to let a doberman pup at 8 weeks to let him sit/sleep on your knee? as i want him to be a disciplined and obediant dog, also what other common things are to be avioded to make the pup realise who the boss is? like making the pup walk behind/at the side and not in front etc

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
When I do yoga, or read a book on the grass, Chase will walk over, stare at me, then back his butt up onto my back or legs. I find it so funny :) I think it's the Velcro dobe thing as I hear so many dobes do it. I've also heard dobes on here back their butt up to you while your sitting for a good scratch :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
These questions about your PUPPY will get better responses if posted in the PUPPY and Food and Feeding section. I can see you have lots of questions about how to raise your puppy. You would really benefit from buying these books, The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller, The Other End of the Leash by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., and On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals, by Turid Rugaas. The first will tell you how to train your puppy where both of you will be happy and build a strong bond with each other. The second will help you understand your dog better and the third book will show you what your dog is trying to tell you. Anyone who has dogs can greatly benefit from reading these books. Amazon has them here or you could probably find or order from a bookstore there. You dont want to be concerned with "showing your dog whose boss" so much as training him kindly, with much patience and consistency. Dont spank or yell, but distract and redirect naughty behavior like biting or chewing furniture

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
is it ok to let a doberman pup at 8 weeks to let him sit/sleep on your knee? as i want him to be a disciplined and obediant dog, also what other common things are to be avioded to make the pup realise who the boss is? like making the pup walk behind/at the side and not in front etc
^^^^ Congrats Cheif - on your new addition, the next several months are some of the funnest periods, to mould your fur-baby for its forever life.
- let him sit/sleep on your knee?...Absolutely Yes, it builts, bond, respect & trust..."a happy dog, is a happy life"...he-he
(my dog doesn't even need permission to jump on the leather couch)
- anything that makes the dog happy around you, and sticks to you like glue...is so perfect / this does not make you less of a leader, just more of a fun person
(Velcro - use this to your advantage, it becomes a KSF...in early training)

I want my dog to be disciplined and obedient to...I just don't buy into the hog-wash of who should go through a door first (for example)...I puppy train with lots of freedom, and want my dog, to be a "thinker" with "cause & effect" consequences and I don't have to "drill sargent" commands to set the rules of compliance, for good manners. Its all about being in an open & fun relationship to start, building bond, respect & trust for the master is critical...through lots of loving play and daily mental stimulating games.

The proper walking directly beside you, will come in time...just not overnight.
I don't even put my dober pup on a leash till 3 months old...and initially it is just to drag the leash on the ground, for a week or 2...before we go for short walks on-leash.
- and some more interesting reading below, food for thought:

First, I puppy train in the living room nightly, before proofing under outside distractions.
If I train a mature dog, I go straight for on-off OB first...I get the dogs eye focus on me...or we keep working outside, until it happens.

Six philosophy I have, training basics:
- no treats used during lessons...all in my voice, presence and bond...I want true eye focus on me, not eye lured by treat baite...to my hand
- all potty breaks, in yard, are off leash...again the pup, learns my voice & direction...clearly from Day1
- much daily play builds quick eye focus and desire to be with me...fetch/tug/soft bite work practiced, with an early obsession...on my part
- much talking to dog, praise and fun interectation...and I constantly look in the dogs eyes / and dog comfortable, looking back directly, at me
- my voice can change in pitch ASAP, for expressing a "good or not-so-good" behavior / I am always sending feedback of clear expectations & promptly
(if negative voice used, still remain calm...dogs don't think in the past or future, only in the now...so remain there)
- timing & correction in 1 second or less, don't let bad habits foster
Dobe Amy controlled off-leash, walking city streets..wmv - YouTube

Here is another interesting read:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/67336-mentally-stimulating-ideas.html

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Mine will be 4 in September and she still sits in my lap. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Yours is a baby right now. Obedience and discipline comes with nurturing and showing them how to do things the right way.

They are very smart and want to please you. It just takes time for that.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
If you don't want your full grown Doberman to be a lapdog, don't let your puppy do it. That's my only real caution against letting a dog sit in your lap. Well. That and protect your soft bits.

Elka, at 3, is still my lapdog. :D Personally, I like it! Not everybody will.

When I do yoga, or read a book on the grass, Chase will walk over, stare at me, then back his butt up onto my back or legs. I find it so funny :) I think it's the Velcro dobe thing as I hear so many dobes do it. I've also heard dobes on here back their butt up to you while your sitting for a good scratch :)
We call this "docking" in my house!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
From day one Toby cuddled up with us, sat on our laps, snuggled down so he was nestled behind us and the sofa back.
He still loves to sit on my knee, not my husbands, not my sons, mine, he doesnt sit with them on the couch or sofa, he doesnt sleep with them on the bed, he is on my side or laid over my legs.
He still sits on my knee, he backs up for a bum scratch, he lifts his leg over mine and stands there for ages, he isn't humping, he isnt rubbing, he just stands there. He sits on my foot when he is unsure of something or when he is intent on watching something.

Regards being a dogs boss, I have seen so many dogs whose owners think that being a dogs boss is through being harsh, over bearing. This leads initially to the dog doing as it is told not through love but fear. Thing is, when the chips are down, how many of these bossed about dogs do you think would come to their owners aid in times of trouble, very, very few if any at all. Instead in my opinion they would run away, afraid the screaming and shouting was aimed at them. If you treat your pup with respect, love him, nurture him, guide him through his problem days, celebrate with him when he is triumphant your dog will love you till the last breath leaves his body and this goes for any dog, not just our Dobe babies.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have always let my dobe puppys and grown dogs sit in lap.....I love it! Its great for bonding. But after my first one grew up (she was a little large @ 85 pounds and I'm 5'1) I now also teach a "next to" command to my pups....so if they want to be close to me and I don't want a full size dog on me right then....its a good comp. for both of us. I did teach this to my first girl after she was full grown....I wish I would have done this from the start because I think it hurt hat feelings at first.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Your puppy will know, who the boss is, when you show them love and guidance.
Take it one day at a time and try not to look at the big picture, this is when problems start because you will look for the quick solution and that is not always the correct way to go.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,408 Posts
If you don't want him to sit on your knee, you can always let him stand on your lap :supergrin

I do pretty much expect my dobes to trail behind me when I go through a door, especially the outside doors--but not because I'm trying to be boss. I just want to make sure they learn that they have to wait for me to tell them to go out the door rather than dashing out wildly and getting into trouble.

I don't worry about whether I'm boss--I simply teach my dogs certain basic rules and play with them and love them a lot, and they basically learn where they fit in the hierarchy as they follownot those rules and play and love right back. Adopting a fake posture just to persuade the dogs with my body language that I control them--I think they are smarter than that.

You do have one thing right, though--if you don't want a dog to do something like jump on people, get on the furniture or sleep in your bed--start right away and be consistent with your rules.

And you will be the leader, not because you forced a bunch of somewhat arbitrary rules on your dog just to prove you can make him do whatever you want him to, but because you have built up a mutual relationship of trust, respect and love.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts