Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Do your dogs wear collars/tags at all times?

• Yes, my dog(s) always wear collars/tags

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • No, my dog(s) are sometimes or always naked

Votes: 127 58.3%
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot decide what frightens me more - the chance of an accident where a collar causes strangulation, or the chance of my dogs getting loose and not having tags. They are microchipped, but that isn't necessarily foolproof, especially if they are picked up by an average person who isn't going to have access to a scanner.

So...do your dogs wear collars/tags at all times, or do they stay naked at home?

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Collared and tagged at all times. When I have them on a leash, I use a seperate collar to attach the leash to. Training sessions and in the ring are the only exception to the collar rule. Years ago, Lucky got lost for 6 hours in Anaheim, CA without his collar. He wasn't chipped at the time, because I couldn't afford to get his shots and the chip both. Luckily, he lived up to his name, and was found. He's been chipped since then.

Actually, all my cats, with the exception of Trouble, wear collars and tags, also. They are also all chipped except for Fiesty and Trouble. I wasn't planning on keeping Fiesty, so I didn't get one for him. When they go in for their annual rabies shots, I'll have them chipped, also.

ETA When I took Leontine to the vet, we both forgot to check her for a chip. I had to take her back a couple of days later to be scanned. She doesn't appear to have a chip. So, it just goes to show that even people who should KNOW to check for a chip can forget.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
Mine are naked at home and in their little potty yard. If I am expecting company, or a repairman, or an installation guy, I usually put them in a little nylon collar (no tags) just so I can control where they go (NOT to the plumber to sniff his...well, you know, or to the painter to check out the paint, or to help the installation guy check the wires, etc--I'd rather not have to worry about their behavior when the house atmosphere is disturbed.)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Yes - my dogs live with a nylon collar on...the one I have linked below:
- and it includes a permanent ID tag, with my name, address, phone #, reward given and NO dogs name
(had the same tag for 30 years)
Spectra® Nylon Adjustable Collars (3/4" wide) with Metal Buckles:
Spectra® Nylon Adjustable Collars with Metal Buckles: ThePetStoreOnline.com

During the period we OB train, dobe also has a choke chain on, with the nylon collar.
- as the dog gets older, the choke chain is put away

My dogs have never been micro chipped, just a puppy tattoo...that isn't readable.
I use scrap 14 gauge cooper wire to affix the ID tag permantly to the "D" ring of the collar...twist the wire tight, with electrical plyers.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I cannot decide what frightens me more - the chance of an accident where a collar causes strangulation, or the chance of my dogs getting loose and not having tags. They are microchipped, but that isn't necessarily foolproof, especially if they are picked up by an average person who isn't going to have access to a scanner.

So...do your dogs wear collars/tags at all times, or do they stay naked at home?
I had this same internal debate and decided that the scarier thing for me was him getting lose with no identification.

Dreizehn is supervised while in the yard and he's never shown signs of jumping the fence but it's only 4ft chain link and, if for any reason something caught his attention, he could clear it in a second. Yes, Dreizehn's tag holder/clip could get caught in his crate but with the slightest bit of pulling it would break and free him. I don't trust anybody in this town to be dog savvy enough to take Dreizehn to get scanned for his chip... so I"d rather he always have tags on.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'm torn on this. Currently my dogs generally go naked in the house and have for quite a few years (at least five). They play a lot together on the yard and I worry they'll get caught in a collar or something (especially if I'm not the one supervising if I'm at work). But at the same time, should they ever get loose for whatever reason, I'd prefer they be wearing ID tags. Dance is chipped and tattooed, and the Dobes have tattoos, but I still worry. Visible collars with tags seem to be a better way of getting a dog back home.

Reactions: Lady Kate

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Naked at night. Collar goes on before breakfast.
If hes home alone he's in his plastic kennel so I'm not worried about strangulation, more worried about my house burning down.

Hank only wore a collar when we left the house or it rubbed all his fur off.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Koa has his collar and tags on 99% of the time. Once in a while he won't have it on while in the house, but I always put it on him before he goes outside. He could also jump my fence if he wanted to, and he can be aloof around strangers (esp men) so I'd like to make it as easy as possible to get him home if the situation would arise. That being said, he's no longer crated at home either. When I crated him I took the collar of when he went in the crate and put it back on when he came out.

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
I'm torn on this. Currently my dogs generally go naked in the house and have for quite a few years (at least five). They play a lot together on the yard and I worry they'll get caught in a collar or something (especially if I'm not the one supervising if I'm at work). But at the same time, should they ever get loose for whatever reason, I'd prefer they be wearing ID tags. Dance is chipped and tattooed, and the Dobes have tattoos, but I still worry. Visible collars with tags seem to be a better way of getting a dog back home.
I think the chances of your dog getting loose are much greater than him accidentally strangling himself by his collar, and that's why my dog always has a collar on. I would not leave a collar on a dog who's crated though.

I'll be honest, if I see a dog running loose without a collar I usually don't stop to see if it belongs to someone. You can bet most non "dog people" are the same way too.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Mine wear clothes :) lol, thin paracord buckle at home, fancier ones away from home

·
Registered
775 Posts
Torque is naked unless he is leaving the property. But I am very strict about him having a collar if he leaves the property. He's such a momma's boy that unless someone actually grabbed him, he would come home. Also, I need to get him microchipped (I've been slacking and I do hate myself for it), but if he was picked up by Animal Control or turned over to them, I'm lucky because he's identifiable. The Doberman with the natural ears that is missing the tip of the right one...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Naked while on my property and in my truck. But anytime I think she needs out of the vehicle she gets a collar and a leash. She is microchipped as well. I also have photos of distinguishing marks so if for any reason someone says, NO thats MY dog, I have photo proof of all stages of life and anything remotely identifiable.

As Charlton Heston said about guns ~~~ Only from my cold dead hands ! ( will someone get my dog )

* she is very aloof with strangers, so I would usually never worry about someone loading her up in a vehicle *

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Elsie wears a collar when we go for walks/training - naked at home. She is microchipped, but I do worry about her getting out with no visual ID sometimes...

Lottie & Libby wear their collars with tags 24/7 - only removed for baths.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I think the chances of your dog getting loose are much greater than him accidentally strangling himself by his collar, and that's why my dog always has a collar on. I would not leave a collar on a dog who's crated though.
Yes, except for the fact that not one of my dogs has ever gotten loose and all have impeccable door and fence manners so I don't worry about them bolting. Not saying it could never happen - it's always a possibility. But I have three dogs who all play together every single day, and so I feel that the risk of them getting stuck on another dog's collar might be more of a risk than any of them ever getting out. It would be different if I had one dog. Like I said, I am torn. And to be honest, before I joined online dog boards, my dogs wore collars 24/7. But I've heard an awful lot of strangulation horror stories now that worry me living in a multi dog home.

I do put collars on them when we have company, as then I feel there is a bigger chance somebody might leave a door open or something. But every day, with just us, they're usually without collars. and when we leave the house, they always wear a collar and tags.

Reactions: bean and Lady Kate

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
rah and berlin are almost always naked except for when they go in the car. they rarely if ever have tags, unless we are traveling (then they have a collar with tags attached).
they are never left together with collars.

cherry wears a collar almost all the time but mostly for her own protection really - i need to be able to grab her if shes doing something that can trigger rah and i need a way to lead her through the house.

chill wears a collar rarely - he also gets led throughout the house but he has hair to help with that and honestly the dog has no desire to ever leave my side (unlike doberman bitches). i have a leash with his collar attached and i take it on and off, because it ruins his ruff.

i try to never really leave my dogs in crates with collars on.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
My girls are naked in the house and in the yard, unless someone comes to the house. Then they wear collars so I can easily get ahold of them if needed. They also always wear collars when we leave the house and they have some form of ID. Some of their collars have their names and my cell number stitched on them and they have tags for the collars that don't have the stitched info.

Both girls are also microchipped but I don't really feel that's super reliable without some other more noticeable form of ID. In this area, lots of people will assume a dog without easily visible ID is no one's dog, or not cared about by anyone and they have no problems ignoring the dog, keeping it, or calling animal control.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts