Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Brandy is a little over 4 months, and she is a little angel... Except for cratetime!! I feed her supper in her crate, she will start to gobble it up while I leave, and she hasn't noticed I left. As soon as she sees that the door is closed, she yelps bloody murder for about a half hour. Then she will discover her food again, silence for a minute, then another whining for a half hour.

I heard that they do get over it eventually, but how long?? We have had her over a month and it seems to be the same, maybe even worse because she is much louder now. I tried crate games, but she yowls like I am cutting off her leg as soon as the door closes, and/or she can't see me.

At bedtime, she yowls for a good hour, which is rather annoying because her room is next to mine. I mean I can wear headphones, but it is embarrassing when guests are over because it looks like I either can't control my dog, or that I am torturing her or something...

I don't punish her in the crate, I ignore her if she yowls (which is getting hard cause she is only getting louder), I always say "crate" when I put her in, then when she FINALLY goes in, she gets a treat,I only let her out when she is quiet and sitting/laying down, and she is ALWAYS empty when put in her crate, and we always have a nice romp around before so she is a little more tired. Also, when i take her out, I never talk to her, except to say "go pee" and then she rings the bell and goes, and then it's a party when she goes outside.

It isn't too small, and it has a giant comfy blankie in there. I put my shirt in there one night, and it didn't do anything, she didn't really notice it at all.

What am I doing wrong? Help would be very much appreciated you Doberexperts!! Thanks in advance!!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I am not a fan of food in the crate.
Dinner times are meant to be wth family.
Can you put her crate in your bedroom?
You might want to check out kwhite30 thread on crate issues as there are suggestions there.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I heard that they do get over it eventually, but how long??
^^^^ my dobes never did

More reading here:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/64496-baby-gate-substitute-crate.html
Yeah Beaumont67 but you spoiled your sweet Amy right from the getgo and got spectalur results. Plus some of us males, love spoiling females. I know I did with my female, Lady. Now, if I gave Nubis no boundaries and no structure, I'd have no rewards to work with to get results, hahaha. My other male was the same way, out the gate and ready to tear up the world. I swear my males have been like taming wild horses and Nubis has love grunts in the morning, just like one, LOL.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I started a whole thread called baby gate as a substitution crate cause we are having the same exact issue I got a lot of good advice so maybe check that out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had to simply ignore my dober's crys. Not matter how bad he cried, I just simply would not respond. It took about three times before he figured it out.

There are pros and cons to crate training, but there just are time when you need your dog to be secure.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not a fan of food in the crate.
Dinner times are meant to be wth family.
Can you put her crate in your bedroom?
You might want to check out kwhite30 thread on crate issues as there are suggestions there.
Sorry, I'll go to the other threads in a sec, but I'll just ask here again, so do you feed yours in the kitchen when you are eating? Doesn't she bother you guys while you are eating? Cause it is harder to push her off of the table when you are eating. I could try putting the crate in my bedroom, I had her in there at first when we first got her, but she yowled all night and I didn't sleep. However now she doesn't yap as much when she can see me, so maybe I can get some this time! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I used to feed diesel in his crate but gave up since that wasn't working so he eats in the kitchen and he has learned when we eat that he is to go lay down. I'd start teaching her that when you eat she needs to be laying down either in a designated area or just somewhere away from you. Diesel also gets a bully stick while we eat so he can have something too and not bug me for food :)

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh! Okay this makes sense! Okay I will try this! My mother will not be a fan, but who cares as long as I take care of it? :D

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Ahh! Okay this makes sense! Okay I will try this! My mother will not be a fan, but who cares as long as I take care of it? :D
Try feeding her at the same time you eat then she's distracted anyway but I really would teach her to go lay down somewhere it will help in a lot of situations not just eating. Who knows maybe your mom will see how good she can be and come around :)

Also definitely check out my thread about the whole crate thing. I got a TON of info and help cause Diesel is a nightmare in his crate and hopefully it can help you too.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Sorry, I'll go to the other threads in a sec, but I'll just ask here again, so do you feed yours in the kitchen when you are eating? Doesn't she bother you guys while you are eating? Cause it is harder to push her off of the table when you are eating. I could try putting the crate in my bedroom, I had her in there at first when we first got her, but she yowled all night and I didn't sleep. However now she doesn't yap as much when she can see me, so maybe I can get some this time! Thanks! :D
For the most part, depending on our schedule, Nubis eats in the kitchen after us. While we are eating , we give him his bone, and or toys, and tell him to lay down plus we have a baby gate to keep him in the kitchen. When I was a kid, my mother said, your here to eat, so keep your mouth shut. (I talked alot when I was a kid,hehehe). So now, when I eat , I eat and don't like being messed with lol. Nubis is uncanny and I swear senses it, as when he was a younger pup, I told him im eating and he picked up on my vibe. I think there is more going on , why he senses it. He will investigate near Nubis'sMom but she ignores him, and he lays back down. He just really knows when we are at the table, not to mess with us. I don't believe in giving anything from the table, so it stays sacred.lol

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just creeped your thread big time!! Wow it sounds like we literally have the same problem! Brandy knows wait and stay! I think that will help!! The difference is wait makes her sit and freeze so she can balance something on her nose like a nice piece of wiener without moving an inch, and stay is in her down position just kind of chilling out, although she can move her head and look around. I think the down one is better though, although "wait" is soo cute to watch. She looks at me with these huge eyes like "HURRY UP I WANT THE WIENER"! As soon as I say "Okay!!" She jumps and the wiener goes flying!!

Reactions: kwhite30
1 - 12 of 12 Posts