Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugh, fun already. Our boxer and Wonder were playing wonderfully, zoomies and all this morning. Brought him home from PetSmart and he wanted to play. She'd act shy, then play bow, then tuck tail and run in a circle, play bow, then Wonder would try to play harder and WAM, crazy loud ruckus and lots of flashing teeth.

The boxer had him pinned and I think he caught a tooth in her eyelid. Just a tiny scrape, but it was bleeding a little. This is the second time today the loudness happened, and it wasn't just an older dog telling off a puppy. She told him off, then chased him, pinned him and continued harassing him. I was dumb and pulled her off, but she wasn't aggressive towards me. Everyone got a time out.

She's not being dominant or submissive reliably, this morning she was okay, now she isn't. He is being a pain, biting her around the neck, but no mounting or any dominant behavior, and she was okay with this previously. It did happen in the house though, maybe she needs more room to get away from him being a jerk?

I'm going to call Sharon and ask, but what the devil do I do?

EDIT: Sharon recommends letting him run around with a lead in the house and stomping on it if he's harassing her too badly. Makes me feel better. :) How do I go about introducing them more slowly? Going to go hit the books.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
All sounds pretty normal to me. Welcome to puppyhood ;)

And rememember, a tired (i.e. exhausted puppy) is a good puppy. Lots of training lots of exercise. Then more training and more exercise.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, no one warned me about crazy boxers. :p He's been the perfect gentleman. He ate breakfast, then we took a walk and he played with Harley (boxer) for an hour or so. They were very good. Then we took a short nap and went out to petsmart to grab some toys, a pizzle (which he loves) and a good Cuz. He was PERFECT. When I went to engrave his tag, he laid down and just watched the world. We went to Kroger for groceries after that and Wonder and I camped out by the entrance. Met some nice people and some kids, then he laid down and hung out. Got back in the car, got home and fed him lunch. After his tiff with Harley (which didn't phase him at all) he's now taking a nap. :)

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Sounds normal to me too! Doberman puppies play very rough and hard.....and often! Your Boxer will only take so much and then she will let him know it. Just as Julie said...a tired Doberman is a Good Doberman! The two of them will work it out with a bit of help from you. Petey often gets too crazy and plays way too rough with some of the dogs in his play group, so when it happens, he is removed....and we leave. When he plays too rough with my sons and their friends, he is given a two minute time out in the crate, sometimes this is repeated several times, if nothing works...game over. When he was younger he would also have a period in the evening that he would turn into the Devil....usually when we wanted to go to sleep! That all changed over the last few months.

Let the party begin!!! I can tell you the early months with the Petster were exhausting....but then again I am older, I am loving 7.5 months....he is soooo much easier!

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I remember the crazy puppy time as if it were yesterday. Cole was in puppy kindergarten at 6 months. Did it twice and got his CGC at 8 months. I did alot of walking and hiking with that boy. We would go out at 5, be on the trail at 5:30 and get home at 10:30. Not only did we walk and hike, but stopped to do a little obedience while we were out. We ran and played, he is an only Dobe, I was/am the surrogate Dobe-buddy, and boy was he pooped when we got home.

Unfortunately that worked only for the morning and afternoon. Right after dinner, we went out to the high school for a short hour long walk. That boy had an incredible amount of energy.

Well, he still gets alot of exercise. Not that he needs it to calm down, we just like to hang out. But, I tell you, he is like a puppy on the full moon nights. Good grief. We can tell around 7 pm that the moon is going to be full or near full by his crazy antics. He is one moon crazy Dobe!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is Harley is NEVER tired, and even when she is, she doesn't understand personal space. He doesn't either, man, how do people survive with two puppies!? I don't have enough hours in my day to tire them both out, and no one else wants to help.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hopefully you will get him all sorted out and they can become good friends.

Orson STILL at age 1, harrasses Phoebe. No fight has ever broken out, but that is because Phoebe is a very tolerant girl. When she has had enough she starts in with the growl snorts. If Orson won't take the hint, we MAKE him come with us and leave her alone. :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I promise you it will get better. When I brought Bumpy home Callie, my pit/pointer loved him and they played and still do like maniacs. But my 14 yr old Bo, was not having it. It took quite a few bites from Bo and blood curdling (highly dramatic Dobie) yelps for Bumpy to get that he needs to back off a bit - and he did. I think the leash idea is great, that way you have control before the situation gets out of control. Aren't you glad you got some rest last week? LOL

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wish she'd give some warning instead of going straight to kill mode. Golly! Maybe i'm being a sissy, but I don't like her "yelling" on top of him to go on for too long, he yells right back! Definitely not a submissive boy. :)

PS - I feel like I just lost all the good dog sense I've ever had. Does this happen when you have kids, too? :p

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
PS - I feel like I just lost all the good dog sense I've ever had. Does this happen when you have kids, too? :p
Sometimes.....:sunglasse

I am mom to count them....4 teenage sons....19. 18. 16 & 13....lots of that stuff called testosterone floating around! I am lucky....my boys have never been real physical with each other....but there have been days....

The dogs will sort it out....just will take time!

oxc

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Keep in mind this is new to both of them. Having a new puppy to play with is alot different to having one come and live with them. It takes time for the adjustment. I still have mandatory down time throughout the day, when I have to crate or ex-pen the puppy to give my older girl her time of quiet. Puppy overload is very easily with having a puppy continuely wanting to play, jump on or biting the older one. Older dogs will only take so much until they had enough and then they will correct the puppy. I would be concerned if the correction goes to far. They should be able to correct the puppy and take it as far as its needed and then stop on their own. Usually a deep growl and a quick snap in the air is enough to send my puppy away and she gets the point.

I also made it a point to keep my personal time with my older one intact or have increased it. Its easily to get up with showering the new one with attention because they always seem to want it and the older one might get alittle perturbed by this. So additional one on one time with the boxer should be considered. I have done alot more with my older one just to keep "our time" special. Remember the boxer was there first and the puppy should be blended into that.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Jess, It can be tough. We had the hardest time with Summer and Cleo at first. For years we were on pins and needles and I never trusted them without supervision (mainly Summer). The trick is to find the fine line. The oldest dog needs to know they are still the alpha at the same time realizing that the puppy now belongs there too. It is important not to constantly correct the puppy or protect the older dog from the puppy because in the long run the older dog will realize that when the puppy bothers me mommy will take him away and the puppy really doesn't belong there. Both the older dog and the puppy will (with supervision and some intervention if needed) sort it out on their own.

Jordan has been here for 3 months now and Summer has just now started to really correct him harshly. I believe that up until now she has had a maternal instinct that I didn't know she had. She would bark, growl, snap very gingerly and then basically just give him the bone (or whatever she was protecting). Now, she'll really give him a good snapping and feels bad about it so she'll follow him around the house giving him sweet kisses on the side of the mouth. Luckely, unlike with Cleo, Summer has had very little problems with adjustment.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yay! Much better today! Any hints of mouthing from either dog gets them both sent outside to rough house. They're starting to figure out that it's hot and if they just keep their mouths closed inside, they can both hang out in the AC. :) Wonder occasionally needs a leash correction, but he gets praised a bunch when he stops. I'm also working some light obedience with both of them to get them refocused or listening to me. Good dogs! No issues outside and they hung out for an hour inside together today with no problems. Two puppies is killing me, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Yay! Much better today! Any hints of mouthing from either dog gets them both sent outside to rough house. They're starting to figure out that it's hot and if they just keep their mouths closed inside, they can both hang out in the AC. :) Wonder occasionally needs a leash correction, but he gets praised a bunch when he stops. I'm also working some light obedience with both of them to get them refocused or listening to me. Good dogs! No issues outside and they hung out for an hour inside together today with no problems. Two puppies is killing me, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Ha ha ha.....there are a few crazy people on here with more then one puppy at a time....I don't know how they do it! We don't see them on as often anymore....guess they are VERY BUSY! :biggrin55 Petey is like 3 puppies! He is so demanding and his size and strength....YIKES! When I first got him I thought that I'd be getting another dog soon after, as I had just come from owning two dogs...well no more crazy thoughts like that, he will be an only Doberkid!!!!! Enjoy the fun!

Carol ox

1 - 20 of 20 Posts