Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was walking chase down the sidewalk, and someone with a shih zu was coming our way. So as usual I ignore the dog, walk by as if they don't exist. The shih zu came up to chase, tail wagging, I asked chase to 'leave it' and just kept going. Without warning the shih zu lunged at him and bit his leg/armpit area.chase let out a surprised yelp/bark and the shih zu was not backing down. The owner just stood there, so I took my boot and shoved ( not kicked) the shih zu out of the way so chase would not get bitten again.

I was going to leave it at that, but the shih zu left a mark, a heamatoma, and a slight limp. No skin was broken, but I took pictures anyway, and if I see the owners again, I'll be asking for their dogs license tag number so I can report them to AC. They wont be fined, or asked to wear a muzzle, but I hope this wakes them up and forces them to take better control of their dog before a smaller pet or child gets bitten.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no :( Hope Chas will be ok.

You should have called the police or AC right on the spot and reported it. I would also make them pay the vet bill. People need to learn and reporting it immediately is the only way for them to take responsibility.
I know I should have, but at the time I thought the shih zu missed. Before the owner was out of sight I checked the area to see any puncture wounds, he looked fine.

Two hours later I noticed him whining, and licking the area, so I took a look and this is what I found:

**No skin was broken** So not much I can do anyways. I washed the area, gave chase some antihistamines for swelling and Ill see how it looks tomorrow. Ill swing by the vets office tomorrow and see what he thinks, but its nothing major.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
It's ridiculous that the owner just stood there. Imagine if Chase was the one doing the biting you would have never heard the end of it.

Good for you for taking pictures. ALL dog owners BIG or small must take responsibility for their dogs actions.

Hope Chase is doing ok.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would probably still give AC a call to report it and have it on record. Did you get pics of the dog by any chance?
No picture of the dog :( but i know they are a regular around my area, so sooner or later, ill get that license number. Ill be reporting to AC during their open hours.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Yeah, I'd make sure I report it. Never know, the dog could have a rap sheet with AC already.

No picture of the dog :( but i know they are a regular around my area, so sooner or later, ill get that license number. Ill be reporting to AC during their open hours.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's ridiculous that the owner just stood there. Imagine if Chase was the one doing the biting you would have never heard the end of it.

Good for you for taking pictures. ALL dog owners BIG or small must take responsibility for their dogs actions.

Hope Chase is doing ok.

Oh, poor Chase. Now if Chase were reactive, believe me, the shih tzu would never have done that. But you can bet that the other owner would have reported Chase to AC...:mad:
Exactly. Which is why Im going to put some effort into this report, even though the bite wound is minor, I want people to realize that no matter the size or breed, you are responsible for their actions.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Exactly. Which is why Im going to put some effort into this report, even though the bite wound is minor, I want people to realize that no matter the size or breed, you are responsible for their actions.
This times a million! In my area at least, most little dog owners don't bother teaching their dogs manners or worry when they show signs of aggression. I've had several little dogs almost attack Gunner at our park, and the owners always act like it's not big deal....their little darling couldn't possibly hurt my big bad doberman :rolleyesww: They need to know that ALL dog owners are ultimately responsible for their dogs. Hope your beautiful boy heals up quickly!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update

I spoke with the AC of toronto, they said they can't report the bite because it did not break the skin. I knew they would say this, so I asked if they could just talk to the owners and tell them the laws of owner liability. She said she could do that, but that's it.

Now I just have to get the owners information, which is just a waiting game.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I wear steel toe capped workshoes, they stop even the biggest dog and as for a Min Pin, last time I kicked the little blighter for having hold of my ankle it shot clear across the road and landed by its owners feet in a heap. Now I accept that it is not big and not clever to go around kicking any animal, but when the owner just continues to talk to her mate and ignore my shouts for her to control her dog and the blooming thing actually breaks skin, I kind of see red.
You can bet if it was one of my dogs, even one of my Terriers the whole village would be marching up the hill (imagine Frankenstein and the horde beating their way to the castle in which the monster is hiding etc and you get the image I am trying to conjure) torches in hand with shouts of 'kill him.' Double grrrrrrr!

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
WHAT? Haha if someone/something had bit Brandy, I would have turned around and bit them myself!! I hope he is okay! People need to control their dogs!! I don't really like those dogs anyway.. :( Dobes rule!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Poor Chase... Personally I don't like the small dogs. They're noisy and AGGRESSIVE.
Well, maybe I'm wrong. I don't like the OWNERS of the small dogs who don't think basic training is necessary for cuite dogs. Some believe that they CAN control their small dogs by holding up when something happens. I doubt it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts