Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if it is me, but why is it, that people see me walking Nubis and they continue to walk right towards him. Last night im walking on a very wide sidewalk and 3 teenage punks are walking towards me side by side. I refused to walk on the road. The far sided one clipped my shoulder and I bit my lip, so not to raise my blood further or say anything. Once they were 15 feet behind me, they start barking. I was pleased with Nubis as he started looking back, and I said its okay their punks and he continued trotting forward.
I guess in situations like that I should start having him sit, so I can avoid a confrontation.
Also, I guess I have an attitude with male teens cuz when I was a teen, 4 older teens tried to take my cousins dobe because they thought he was so calm but once they attempted to move forward and he heard my tone change, that calm dobe showed them a different side. I was actually surprised because I never seen that switch go off.

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
Hmm, Ilka and I seem to have the opposite reaction. Usually, people cross the street or otherwise try to avoid her. She's not even a very large dog, only 22" and about 50 to 55 pounds. I don't mind too much, though, because I live in one of the older, lower income areas of town, and we have a fair amount of crime (drugs, theft, assault and the odd murder). There are also several gangs that operate in the city, including both Crips and Bloods. I definitely feel safer with her than without her.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have had teen boys bark at my dog too. What fools. I have also had people walk past me and stroke my dog as they pass. Forest Gump said it best "Stupid is as stupid does"
Yeah some of those punks need to be castrated or neutered because they get that instant courage,booze, in their system, they usually end up in jail or hospital.
As far as someone touching my dog without my approval, that falls into the same category as touching my Harley without my permission.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the most part its teens, so my best option is having him sit or switch him to the right and let them walk straight toward me, if they want to test their testosterone.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My friend was walking Devon's brother Izzy and the guy headed right for my friend as if to take the dog.............Izzy is 90lbs and stood at attention as if to say you're not going to hurt my owner. The guy turned and left...........

Sometimes teens aren't always thinking :(

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
For the most part folk round here literally will step in front of cars to avoid walking near my Dobe. Even though he is leashed and muzzled in public, however, one day when we were out a group of Romanians were walking towards my friend and I and they suddenly split into 2 groups as if to walk either side of us. I was having none of that, I immediately signalled that they walk to the left of me (I was facing them) so that Toby was between me and them as there have been instances of gangs suddenly grabbing bags or worse the woman and assaulting her recently in our area. They started to smirk and get all cocky making comments in Romanian and then Spanish. At which point I commanded Toby to be alert which he did whilst at the same time I slipped off his muzzle.

Boy did they shift, there was a clear 6 foot gap between us as we passed each other and as we had stopped and Toby was standing to attention they had to keep on going for fear I would release him.

Now do not get me wrong, I wouldnt have done so as in this country the dog is at fault even if he is protecting the owner, but fact is, they didnt either know that or care, as the sight of a Dobe on alert is enough to make anyone think twice (if they have a brain cell) and behave themselves.

Well done Nubis and his dad however for not rising to these punks.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend was walking Devon's brother Izzy and the guy headed right for my friend as if to take the dog.............Izzy is 90lbs and stood at attention as if to say you're not going to hurt my owner. The guy turned and left...........

Sometimes teens aren't always thinking :(
People often get the wrong perception of people. I think their are some folk that believe owners get so called aggressive dogs for protection. It definitely not on my list for myself, as I am quite capable of defending myself, thanks to being abused by an alcoholic step father, street smart and my military experience. i do entrust my dobe to provide protection for my family and home, out of pure instinct.
Two weeks ago, I had a crack head looking dude follow us, and once it was evident, at an intersection, I stopped and quietly, said sit to Nubis which he did and I just stared at the guy. He turned around and walked back. It was Nubis who alerted me to him following us, cuz he kept turning his head and looking back.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the most part folk round here literally will step in front of cars to avoid walking near my Dobe. Even though he is leashed and muzzled in public, however, one day when we were out a group of Romanians were walking towards my friend and I and they suddenly split into 2 groups as if to walk either side of us. I was having none of that, I immediately signalled that they walk to the left of me (I was facing them) so that Toby was between me and them as there have been instances of gangs suddenly grabbing bags or worse the woman and assaulting her recently in our area. They started to smirk and get all cocky making comments in Romanian and then Spanish. At which point I commanded Toby to be alert which he did whilst at the same time I slipped off his muzzle.

Boy did they shift, there was a clear 6 foot gap between us as we passed each other and as we had stopped and Toby was standing to attention they had to keep on going for fear I would release him.

Now do not get me wrong, I wouldnt have done so as in this country the dog is at fault even if he is protecting the owner, but fact is, they didnt either know that or care, as the sight of a Dobe on alert is enough to make anyone think twice (if they have a brain cell) and behave themselves.

Well done Nubis and his dad however for not rising to these punks.
Good job for you guys!!!
The ones that scare me, are the ones without braincells. LOL.
in our downtown core, the seedy types will steal large breed dogs for cash/drugs.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had little kids bark at Chase, but not teenagers. Guess the ones you encountered are late bloomers :rolleyesww:
Most younger kids around here, love seeing Nubis. I think they think he is a pony. LOL

Reactions: SReed912

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When we walk our Dobes people go into the street around us 90% of the time
For the most part its the same here, except for male teens. I think it's their, I deserve everything mindset and they have all these rights. When I was growing up, you seen an adult walking, you gave them right of way on a sidewalk and respect them, not challenge them.
They are all pumped up on COD, HALO, etc...i was listening to my nephew one day, talking all tough and I couldn't help but laugh at him. I told him, closest he has been to a real fight was MMA on tv and his tshirt.
Grant it, you have to be careful of teens, as they favour weapons bcuz they do not know how to fight with their hands and bodies. Little do they realize once they loose that weapon, they are in a world of hurt.
Wait now, they might text ya some emoticons on their cellphone hahaha
Okay that's my rant for today, time to take the little boy for a briskly cold walk.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
time to get Nubis in shutzhund training.
Well, he will be enrolled in ob school, end of this week, as we need to work on distractions and focus. I have a few big places for training, but am favouring a private trainer who limits to 5 dogs and one of his specializes is large breed dog training.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Jaxon would rather give kisses than act aggressively towards a stranger....Im not sure if it's from being raised in a house with a lot of people constantly coming and going, or if he just missed out on the protective instinct gene...seriously, I have never even heard him growl or seen him bare his teeth. He's just not very intimidating even though he is rather large boy. He's a lover not a fighter and I love him for it! It's my job to protect HIM!

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
SReed912, My old dog Gin, a dobie mix, was one of the friendliest dogs I ever knew. Loved almost everyone. One day, I was walking her, and for some reason, she took exception to a guy that tried to talk to me. Didn't show her teeth, didn't raise her hackles, didn't make a sound. The only way to describe what she did was that she just GREW. She went on alert, stared at him, and took maybe one step forward. He left in a hurry. I had NEVER seen her do that before, and she NEVER did it again. If I hadn't seen her doing it, I would not have believed her capable of being that intimidating.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Good job for you guys!!!
The ones that scare me, are the ones without braincells. LOL.
in our downtown core, the seedy types will steal large breed dogs for cash/drugs.
There have been instances of dogs being stolen here too, mainly by the gangs of gypsies etc who use them either as bait dogs or for fighting so we have to be ever vigilant. My trainer friend has a pitt bull girl and one day 2 men approached her whilst we were out for a walk and got pretty insistant they wanted to buy her and when she said NO! They tried to follow us from a distance to see where she lived I guess to steal her.
They got a shock, we called a friend who came out with his shotgun and met us miles from her home and chased them off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
SReed912, My old dog Gin, a dobie mix, was one of the friendliest dogs I ever knew. Loved almost everyone. One day, I was walking her, and for some reason, she took exception to a guy that tried to talk to me. Didn't show her teeth, didn't raise her hackles, didn't make a sound. The only way to describe what she did was that she just GREW. She went on alert, stared at him, and took maybe one step forward. He left in a hurry. I had NEVER seen her do that before, and she NEVER did it again. If I hadn't seen her doing it, I would not have believed her capable of being that intimidating.
makes you wonder about that guy........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts