Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a friends house to look at a puppy i pulled up in the drive way they had a red dobie adult walking around i got out of my car she stood their looked at me and backed up ran a little bit stoped looked again and ran around stareing at me i was standing beside the owner she called the dog and it wouldnt come to her b.c i was standing there i get really confused about like how a doberman should act around strangers i dont guess their suppossed to just come up to you but not really run way either..idk lol she barked maybe once or twice i guess i just figured like i would get out of the car and the dog would keep a little distance but keep its eye on me and possible follow me around or something this was my second time ever seeing a doberman in person i hope you dont think im like completly stupid but yeah one time at a car show i seen this guy with a dobe there was this little kid like running around a parked car beside him and he was like peaking around at the doberman and dobe was jumping and barking and also peaking around to find the little kid thats the instinct all doberman should have i dont guess all do though...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gracie loves everyone! Really she does. If someone new comes over, the first thing she does is walk up to them and sniff them. After that she will look at us to basicly tell us they are okay even though we let them in the house.

She has never ran from anyone at all. Gracie lives by the belief that everyone on this earth is here to pet her, play with her, feed her, and love her! That is all US humans were born to do in her eyes. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
King is EXTREMELY shy and suspicous. He has been since day one. When i first got him i took his attitude as confident, but he was actually staying away from me because he was scared. the day i chose him, when i held him he tried to wiggle his way out. i guess i should have known there that he temperment wasnt going to be great, but i fell inlove and got him anyway. But yeah, King will run up to people barking, but stay far enough away that they wont hurt him. if someone were to walk towards him, he would run. he has two barks, an agressive bark, and a scared bark. when he barks at people, it is a highpitched/scared bark. when he barks at other dogs, its a deep rumble type bark. Hopefully now that the allergy stuff is overwith for now, i can use the money i was spending on that to see a qualified professional to help him out. He just needs confidence and i dont think he would show any agression at all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Harvey has moderate shyness ..but he was abused which i feel made it abit difficult for him whne meeting new people. He was also hand shy but those days are long gone now thankfully.

In the home he will circle the person and then sniff..he is not jumping all over them unless its someone who he recognises and loves. He will then sit in the corner bolt upright watching ..after about 10 to 15 minutes he will sneak over and have a sniff and will take treats from them.
In general it will take about 10 visits from that person for him to be totally happy around them.

When we are out and sees someone ahead of us he will look alert, standing bolt upright with a wrinkled forhead just watching with full concentration.. if he was off lead he would trot forward a few paces and watch more. I say O.k harvey in a low calm voice and he relaxes.

His barking varies between frantic deep short barking when he seems to be saying 'look mum quick look here' and low long woofs when he sees someone approaching from a greater distance. when he sees other dogs its a short high pitch whiney woof as he wants to run over and play.:)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
TomAndKing said:
Hopefully now that the allergy stuff is overwith for now, i can use the money i was spending on that to see a qualified professional to help him out. He just needs confidence and i dont think he would show any agression at all.
A boy like that needs confidence? He is a beauty! :) I know what you mean but he is so cute.

Harvey can always come over here and play with Gracie. I will steal Lexus and all 3 can play together. Maybe Tracy would even send Chi my way?:dancing_b

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Harvey can always come over here and play with Gracie. I will steal Lexus and all 3 can play together. Maybe Tracy would even send Chi my way?:dancing_b
You're such a troublemaker!:dancing_b

Lexus is stand-off-ish around strangers at home. If someone comes in she is always in a sit or down stay anyway, but when given her release command she prefers to stay infront of me. She will eventually venture over and smell them, but we tell them not to acknowledge her. She doesn't want to even be petted by them for a while.

My husband wasn't thinking last week and he was given a ride home after a medical procedure (he wan't allowed to drive) and he came in the house and his friend just walked in a moment later (I was at work) He forgot to put Lexy in her stay, all her hair went up and she just howled at the guy, but didn't make a move to approach him.

When out in public it is a different story though. She is very social, but ever since she was a pup, we have adhered to a strict sit or down when meeting anyone. She loves to be petted and touched, and she has a knack for knowing if someone is admiring her, and squirm her way over to them!:)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Maybe Tracy would even send Chi my way?:dancing_b
LOL If she doesn't stop waking me up at 5 am to go outside I'll put her on the plane next week!!! :)

It's kind of refreshing to know that I don't have the only suspicious Dobe in the world. Chi is alot like Lex when people come over. She doesn't bark when someone comes to the door (unless we're outside and then she goes nutty but we're working on it :) and will even approach them to sniff and allow them to admire and pet her but when that's done she's by my side.
She had been getting quite silly on our walks and would bark and get really worked up when people approached but I have really stepped up her socialization (we go shopping or to the sea wall almost every day now) and working on keeping her attention on me, have seen a marked improvement on how she reacts to people or strange objects (yesterday she was very concerned about a motor-bike that had a tarp covering it, the tarp was flapping in the wind, I think last week she would have completely lost her mind over this but yesterday she just kind of kept one eye on it and the other on me hoping for a treat LOL). I think that she would be alot like King if she were off lead when she got worked up over an approaching stranger. It's kind of like she's a drunk in a bar fight that's being held back by his buddies, all talk since he knows someone has his back but a big baby once let loose. "Hold me back momma, this could get silly!!!"... "What, you're not holding me back? Whatever will I do???" Then she'd run behind me because she's a big bad killing machine LOL This is just what I think though and don't know for sure because she's never off-lead and I don't want to really test the theory and be wrong... Oddly enough she's only like this when just one or two people approach, but is good as gold in a very public situation...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
first, take a breath and use some periods, it makes it much easier to read :)

bowie is very social in most situations out in public with 99% of peopl e- there are rare people he does NOT like or trust, and i just trust his judgement. no one would consider him shy - hes a MOOCH when he wants something and regularly stares people in the face so he can lick them.

however, he can be VERy suspicious - he has what i consider to be a fairly good dobe temperament in that situation - he can alert, not trust, but allow someone in if i say ok or if the situation prooves to be ok, however other times he feels that theres a threat and wont back down.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gunner can detect a bad person, some ppl he kinda barks and growls at and soem he runs up to them very playful, Daisy on the other hand at our house is very shy and suspicious but in public shes quiet and shy, and just gotta checks things out

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
My one dog has great nerves was a little to agressive at first we worked through that and now great all way round. The other well nothing but problems nervous, skiddish, backs away from people. Yes this dog was socialized and went to classes......... In class the dogs body was shaking the whole time everytime and growling at the other dogs. Body posture was of a hunchback. He said I might be able to adjust some things, but the genes that this dog pulled from mama and papa's bloodlines were the not so favorable ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts