Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone ,

This is my first dog so i'm not really a pro on anything and looking for some advice .
1. My 8 week old puppy is so shy when he goes outside with me and my friends and around other dog he just sits there and looks at you , i playing catch and running at him to make him run but he's more interested in the leaves on the ground. But when he gets home he's like a tornado .

2. Everyday he gets what looks like hick-ups at least once a day is this normal.

3. he always bitting feet and ripping up stuff is there anything i can do to stop him training wise or is he just being a puppy

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
He's a baby. Please don't "run at him" to make him run. You are scaring him.

Start checking into puppy classes, where are you in Alberta so that we can recommend some.

There are many, many threads on here about dobersharks. Yes, he is being a puppy. Re-direct your pup to a toy and praise, for starters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well When i run at him he jumps up and starts chasing me then stops . He's not much of an active dog more like a lazy dobbie that sleeps lol. Im in edmonton :p

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Pups that are lazy could have something wrong. It is just not normal.

Has he had a complete vet check?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He lazy when he's outside with people he don't know. He usually takes 3 naps a day for like 30 mins each time other then that he's up in my house running around . It like right when he leaves the vicinity of my house he become really shy .

No I just got him a less then a week ago , first shots and dewormed .

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I hope you are very careful where you are taking him since he has only had one set of shots. Did your breeder give you a schedule for vaccinations?

Parvo is rampant in Alberta.

Puppy kindergarten can help you out, but I am not familiar with trainers in Edmonton. Perhaps someone from there can give you some guidance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i have schedule for all the up coming vaccinations . its due on may 19 , Can i get them before the time there due ?

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Hi! I am from Alberta too! I am from Calgary though, not Edmonton. Puppy kindergarten is really helpful and fun, as EmilyB said. If you search up on the search bar: "Nipping", or "Biting", there are some really good threads on there, that people with problems similar to yours already asked! Puppies shouldn't be really shy, but they do sleep a lot! Anyway, perhaps checking out that search bar would help you! Good luck with the Dobershark!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about the hick-ups at least once a day . is that normal ?
usually after drinking alot of water or eating to fast

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Puppies grow when they sleep old wives tale seriously puppies do need there rest.Everything is new to your pup google periods in puppies very normal best way to handle anything the pup is scared of just ignore the behavior let him/her check it out on there own.Do not baby your pup if scared of storms or loud noises just act normal no big deal.Your pup will take some cues from you read up on obedience maybe work with your pup 10 minutes in the morning and evening make stuff fun for your pup no harsh training.Positive training works best throw in some tricks so obedience will not be boring.Good Luck with your pup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im clicker training him for ten minute in the morning and ten at night , I'm going to take him to a socialization class as so as i can . i want him to be a confident and social dog as well as protective .:)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
1. My 8 week old puppy is so shy when he goes outside with me and my friends and around other dog he just sits there and looks at you , i playing catch and running at him to make him run but he's more interested in the leaves on the ground. But when he gets home he's like a tornado .

If hes unsure about strange places just get him to walk around/be comfortable before you start with the chasing/playing. LOTS of treats and LOTS of praise. Too much will cause them to shut down. So you need to figure out when its too much and get right before that point.

2. Everyday he gets what looks like hick-ups at least once a day is this normal.
Puppy hiccups are normal. I always feel bad for them when they are trying to sleep with the hiccups.

3. he always bitting feet and ripping up stuff is there anything i can do to stop him training wise or is he just being a puppy.
Give him toys to chew. Redirect biting to the toys. Never leave him unsupervised in the house. Start crate training now. If you are at home and not watching him, get an xpen for him to be in with toys and his crate. If you are with him always on a leash, never free roaming in the house.

Protection will come with time. Just work on socializing/training now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts