Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Lex, you can call me Kayla.

Yes, Schutzhund is based on three sections, Tracking, Obidence, and Protection..

A good Schutzhund trainer, will do a temperment test on your girl first, before they start doing bitework.. They wanna test her nerves to make sure she will be sound for the work.

All the temperment test is: you holding Lex on a lead, and the trainer goes back and forth with a tug or burlap sack, and he watches what she does, how she will act, etc. He MIGHT have a stick or a whip, or something like that, to make noise to see if the noise will distract her. latter down the line, they have some one pop off a blank shot up in the air, just for the gun sound noise.

http://www.germanshepherddog.com/

That'll give you alot of info about schutzhund, requirerments, and it'll help you find a club near you.

You'll be very lucky if you find a club in your area... I had to drive 2 1/2hrs for my club, because the trainers I have now, didnt advertise that they did schutzhund work...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another thing, You said that you wanted to show her too right? then maybe breeder her? I know that for german shepherds, if they are german lines, they also do Schutzhund as a requirerment for showing.. its to show that not only does the pooch have the right temperment, but is also show-material. The German Show is called Sieger. I think Boxers, Rotts, GSDs, and dobermans go..

Dont quote me, but I think only "german" dogs show at the sieger... and when I mean "german" I mean, Rotts, GSDS, Dobermans, Boxers, etc. but they can be either born in the US or Germany.

Does this make sence?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kayla,

It sounds like a lot of fun, what I mean is I love training and working with my dog, so I think I might look into this in the future, maybe with Lexy or even another dobe later on. Thank for the link and info! Thx!!!

Jess

·
Registered
73 Posts
Becareful, not all show pooches can "work", So if you decide to get another doberman try to go for wokring lines, or stay with Hoytt, who by the way, hasnt replied back... gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehehe!! Okay!
I check out the link you gave me, and Lexy just isn't a barker either.....Yeah I know I could turn her into one, but seeing how I'm Tdi with her I don't want to, I want to keep her laid back and gentle with all, I'm just going to keep her going after her tug as her after work reward. But as I said I am still interested, so I think I will take your advice and look into working lines down the road. I think I would enjoy the training and work. Good luck with the Pup search!

·
Registered
73 Posts
a side note: Schutzhund is very fun, BUT its almost like High school... theres a lot of drama.. whos dog is better... American or German... etc.. I have a Longcoat GSD, and I hear most the of **** because people dont like his coat length.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LCGSDmama said:
a side note: Schutzhund is very fun, BUT its almost like High school... theres a lot of drama.. whos dog is better... American or German... etc.. I have a Longcoat GSD, and I hear most the of **** because people dont like his coat length.

Sorry to hear that.....unfortunatley it seems that most anything competitive is that way. To bad people can't just live and let live ya know. I used to show horses and it was the same deal, if you were with a certain trainer, people from another barn didn't talk to you......if you rode a certain breed, same story, with dogs too - what breeder you used, what breed of dog you use for what, and the list goes on.... I think they all read from the same book. Any luck yet finding a working line? I checked the website of the latest one posted from denmark or something, seemed like some seriously competitive lines for working dogs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think so... JJK's Euro Dobermans.. here is her website.. http://www.jkkseurodobermans.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page2.html

I talked to her a few times, back when I was researching breeds..before I got my GSD.. but Dave wasnt feeling Dobermans... so I nixed that idea... Hoytt never returned my email, and I'm thinking it was for teh best, I'm not sure. I'm SO confused!!!!!

You showed horses? how nice.. I love horses... so pretty... so big.. so powerful... ok, time for me to go day dream about horses!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LCGSDmama said:
I think so... JJK's Euro Dobermans.. here is her website.. http://www.jkkseurodobermans.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page2.html

I talked to her a few times, back when I was researching breeds..before I got my GSD.. but Dave wasnt feeling Dobermans... so I nixed that idea... Hoytt never returned my email, and I'm thinking it was for teh best, I'm not sure. I'm SO confused!!!!!

You showed horses? how nice.. I love horses... so pretty... so big.. so powerful... ok, time for me to go day dream about horses!

Yeah, I thought about Hoytt too, and he doesn't breed the working dogs, he breeds and shows the obedience end of it. So I don't think a pup from him would have been the caliber of working dog you need. Whereas I'm into the obedience so it worked well for me.

Yeah I miss my horses, but Lexy working hard to fill the void! Course I'm not getting any thinner now that I'm not mucking stalls daily anymore!! I just need to be competitive and I'm an animal nut, so after receiving Lexy, I launched into what I can do with her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts