Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Saturday I went to watch what they euphemistically called an International Dog Show. In total there were, wait for it, wait for it. Four Dobes in the whole show. Bear in mind we had to travel 4 hours down the motorway/freeway, and when I managed to talk to the owners of said Dobes I discovered they had travelled as far if not further to get there. There were 3 Black and Tans, and 1 Brown, whom I believed was the best of the lot, however, the Judge picked a rather poor Black and Tan as the winner, he actually threw out his front legs as he ran. Anyhow, my friend turned to me and said my boy beat them hands down. It got me thinking.

Now I have no real interest in breeding, in fact I am opposed to the idea as I think there are too many puppies in the world, hence why I had my boy castrated. However, can I not show for showings sake, I am under the impression that because my boy is castrated he cannot be entered into a show? Why? Surely he is either a good specimen or not?

I would appreciate your thinking on this.

By the way, I was told I couldnt take photos without the owners permission so sorry guys, no photos to share with you, but in 2 weeks we are off to another show and I hope to get some to share with you.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Do you and your friend know the Dobe standard "in and out"? Can you recite it, see it and feel it? Asking, not judging :)

Your boy may very well be better than those that showed up but remember to judge against the standard, not just what we might think is pretty. My husband often comes to me with shows and doesn't "get the standard." And he'll say X dog should of won and when I ask he says, "HE liked it better." And yes we can ALL have opinions that dosen't mean they are bad or wong. But the winner at a dog show SHOULD meet the standard the best.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you and your friend know the Dobe standard "in and out"? Can you recite it, see it and feel it? Asking, not judging :)

Your boy may very well be better than those that showed up but remember to judge against the standard, not just what we might think is pretty. My husband often comes to me with shows and doesn't "get the standard." And he'll say X dog should of won and when I ask he says, "HE liked it better." And yes we can ALL have opinions that dosen't mean they are bad or wong. But the winner at a dog show SHOULD meet the standard the best.
What is the Dobe standard? Surely not a dog who throws out his front legs as if he is waddling like a duck. I appreciate what you are saying and I don't know if my boy would be any good, but I just thought it might be nice to have a go. But he is castrated, so there is no chance of his ever breeding, but then again, I do not want to breed. I used to show horses and all my males were gelded however, this did not stop me being able to enter them. Would it stop me showing my Dobe?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
What is the Dobe standard? Surely not a dog who throws out his front legs as if he is waddling like a duck. I appreciate what you are saying and I don't know if my boy would be any good, but I just thought it might be nice to have a go. But he is castrated, so there is no chance of his ever breeding, but then again, I do not want to breed. I used to show horses and all my males were gelded however, this did not stop me being able to enter them. Would it stop me showing my Dobe?
Movement is one piece of the package. We typically "fault judge" which is picking a fault out. Judges should not be fault judging but looking at the overall good qualities. I may not have described that well.

The Dobe standard is the blueprint for the ideal Doberman.

And I'm not saying the dobe who won wasn't bad, but unless we know the standard, we can't judge against the standard.

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Dogs are shown and judged for their quality in becoming the producers of the next generation of the breed. You need your dog intact to create the next generation, so if they have been altered, no matter how nice they are, they can't contribute to the next generation.

Altered dogs can be shown in North America as veterans in AKC shows or in the altered classes in the UKC shows. I'm not sure where you live if they have these options.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dogs are shown and judged for their quality in becoming the producers of the next generation of the breed. You need your dog intact to create the next generation, so if they have been altered, no matter how nice they are, they can't contribute to the next generation.

Altered dogs can be shown in North America as veterans in AKC shows or in the altered classes in the UKC shows. I'm not sure where you live if they have these options.
I'm not sure either.

I actually checked out the breed standards, found the US and UK info without a problem, but nothing for Spain, so I guess I will have to keep looking.

With regards dogs being shown and judged with breeding in mind in all honesty if they are the best these guys could produce, the 2 breeders that we have in Spain here were represented, I reckon our Dobes are in trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts