Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately since my mom has had her summer classes...I have been taking Duchess to her obedience class the past 3 or 4 weeks. Our trainer wanted my mom to show Duchess in obedience and says "Don't you want to show off your dog!" Duchess is real good...she heals off leash...never breaks her stays...stands on command...etc...my mom just didnt want to compete...but today our trainer said that Im real good with Duchess and that I would be able to show her!!! I said I would love to! I have wanted to actually get into doing something with Duchess and this sounds perfect for her! I don't know why we havent gotten her CGC yet...our trainer said she would have no problem at all with that...so that will probably be the first step. :)
I know our trainer could point us in the right direction. But I wanted to find out as much as I can about it on my own and (with the help of you guys :)) so I can start reading as much about getting started...where to go...and other readings about showing in obedience.
Any advice? recommendations? articles? Books? magazines? websites? that you know of that I can start reading up on would be great!
Im so excited! Yet another hobby for me!!! lol :)
Im going to start working with her in the back yard and on walks everyday for a little bit for now on instead of just once a week. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow!! What an honor. I know you are excited. I am thrilled for you. I just hope you take lots of pics and videos to share with us. Go Duchess!! You rock girlie girl!

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
I would suggest ordering a copy of the AKC obedience rules or check the AKC website to see if they are available there. There are a lot of intracacies to handling in obedience that often get overlooked by those that don't read and understand the rules. The dog might be doing a great job - you don't want to lose points for handler errors.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I know some things. Our trainer will mention and points out stuff they you lose points for...and stuff that they look for. Today I learned that they look for making contact with the dog when you make a left turn...little stuff like that...and I read the getting started in Obedience training at the AKC site real quick...but it wasnt the rules...so Ill have to look that up too:)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
That would be great LD!!! You guys would be great at it!! You should look into Rally too, VERY FUN!!!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. A private lesson, like an actual run thru of what they would be having you do in an obedience trial, is very helpful. That way you can walk thru the real thing and they can score you and give you feedback.
There are things called show-n-go's which do the exact the same thing, might be helpful too (also they are cheaper than a private lesson).

There are rulebooks, check with your obedience club. I know our club actually hands them out to people for free when they take a class. Those are helpful as well.

Going to an obedience trial would be good just to help you get a feel for what it is like.

Good luck, I have a feeling you guys will do great and get a title in no time. And please do take pics =)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to an obedience trial would be good just to help you get a feel for what it is like.
yes once I actually go to an obedience trial and see exactly what its like...I will also feel more comfortable and have a place to get some information.
where do you go to get CGC testing? Cause I should get that out of the way.

Thanks BIB and DobesandDragons! I will look online at AKC to see if I can just request one. I sent you a PM back DobesandDragons, first let me see about requesting one at AKC website if since its free and then Ill let you know if I still need one :)

(I still need to find out how Im suppose to perform as a handler, but My trainer said that Duchess would be Novice easily...and I read what Novice does...and I agree...the next step up with the fetching will need work. lol

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You can check the AKC for evaluators for the CGC or your local OB clubs to see who is testing and when.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay so I got a copy of the rules and regulations from our trainer. Now that I know what they expect exactly I can concentrate on perfecting stuff. Duchess is always good at watching us...but sometimes she can get distracted so I am trying to perfect her watch by not moving or not give her the command until her eyes are on me to see it...usually if she isnt watching at the time she still listens.
I also bought a pretty good book on obedience that discusses training for obedience based on what they look for and expect in the ring. However that isnt the MAIN focus in the book...it still plays a big part on how to teach things right, right from the beginning....and to avoid confusing the dog with unneeded commands...and chatter...
If anyone is interested the book is called
"Beyond Basic Obedience" by Diane L. Bauman.
I had a coupon for 30% off at Borders...so I picked that one out...normally $30 bucks...I got it for $21 bucks...although they would probably have it on amazon for either the same or cheaper.
has anyone read or heard of the book? I like it alot. My mom also pulled out some old obedience books she had from when we got our old dog years and years ago...so I probably will read those eventually as well.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
obedience trial

http://www.akc.org/events/search/index.cfm?action=plan&event_number=2006603501

So I did the search for trials I can go to around my area...This link above is one I found that I plan on going to. Im a little confused on if the $25 dollars and $10 is only for the dogs that enter into the competition and are competing...
Will there be an admission fee just to get in a watch the trial? also is it allowed and a normal thing to bring your dog to watch if you want? Its my first time going to one and just don't know what to expect :) Thanks guys.
If im still unsure whether there is an admission fee...Ill give them a call...

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
The show entries for that show are closed, meaning no one can enter now (because it's past June 21).

Apparently they were charging $25 for a first entry and $10 for a second entry.

Dogs who are not entered in a show/trial are not allowed on the show grounds at any show/trial.

There may be an admission fee to get into the building to watch. It's not common practice, IME, to list that in the premium list. Expect to pay a few bucks for admission and then if you don't have to - bonus!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
okay thats cool. I figured the $25 dollars and stuff was just for people entering. That is fine about no dogs allowed just wanted to make sure. that would be a cool bonus if there is no charge...ill bring like 20 bucks on me...maybe ill find some cool dog stuff for sale:) Thanks...oh another question...Do they allow you to take flash photography:)

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
Flash photography -- I don't know, that's a little rude. It's probably "allowed" but I would think some might be really annoyed about it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay thats fine. I didn't know if its a common thing...and that the dogs just learn to ignore as a distraction...lol at class someone wanted to take a picture of the two rotts, duchess, and the am staff that are in her class while doing their long sit stays. lol she brought out the camera and Duchess is so use to getting her picture taken she stayed in her sit but just posed for the camera looking at it with her ears up lol.
lol I wont bring my camera though:)

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
Some dogs can be very flash sensitive. My GSP hates the flashbulb on a camera and she'll take off whenever it comes out. Although dogs in obedience trials should be proofed to whatever comes about, if you did happen to be the cause of a dog breaking whatever it was doing, it sure wouldn't go over big with the handler. Remember that they did a lot of work to come that far. They don't want anything messing it up, if possible.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HAHA!! OH my gosh I was just thinking about that today!!! and realized I forgot ALL about it!!!! I was so excited to go too!!! Ill have to find another one! I usually would never forget something like that!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts