Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i see pics of you lot with your dogs in the ring i notice that normally the ladies are in skirt suits which is of course very smart looking.

Next month i am off to our "Dobermann Classic" which is sort of like our top 20 type event, dogs have to qualify for it by winning a CC or RCC (CC - challenge certificate, 3 makes up a CH)

One of my boys qualified for it by winning a RCC last month which is fab.. but like a true girl.. i have nothing to wear!!

Its sort of smart/ black tie so i was thinking of showing in a dress of some sort but really have no idea, what sort of length is appropriate? Hes a black male so i dont want to wear black along side him.

Suggestions and pictures if you would!

:D

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
I always wear something to the knee...no one wants to see your bits when you bend over to fix a foot placement.

I like to wear contrasting colors with my black bitch, normally a light grey.

·
Registered
702 Posts
What an honor! :)

I'm envisioning a pewter or champagne colored dress, just below the knee, with a jacket that has some very subtle embroidered details in it. Nothing brash or alarming, just a really elegant subdued, winter look, in colors that will really make your black and rust dog stand out. Dress it up with some unique shoes and jewelry that make YOU feel beautiful and confident... that feeling will go down the lead to your dog.

Have a great show, good luck!

Reactions: hjgrl

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Wow, you get dressed up to go to a show, you really should see this lot, jeans and teeshirt seems to be the norm, although the professional handlers wear chinos and shirts with something similar for the ladies. Saying that I saw someone in a suit the last show we went to, but he looked so out of place next to everyone else I think it went against him. (his dog, a Bulldog was absolutely stunning).

Good luck by the way.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Wow, you get dressed up to go to a show, you really should see this lot, jeans and teeshirt seems to be the norm, although the professional handlers wear chinos and shirts with something similar for the ladies. Saying that I saw someone in a suit the last show we went to, but he looked so out of place next to everyone else I think it went against him. (his dog, a Bulldog was absolutely stunning).

Good luck by the way.

That sounds how UKC shows used to be here in the US. They were very casual and fun. Seems now they're trying to be more like AKC, rules changing, people getting more competitive, dressing up instead of just going and enjoying the dogs. My breed isn't fully AKC recognized yet so we're still showing UKC lots. :)

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
black dobes look great with a red background! nothing long, you still need to be able to move, nothing that flaps when you run, and as someone said, not so short that things show when you bend over. I like to find something with pockets too, that is a real challenge.
look forward to seeing pictures.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
black dobes look great with a red background! nothing long, you still need to be able to move, nothing that flaps when you run, and as someone said, not so short that things show when you bend over. I like to find something with pockets too, that is a real challenge.
look forward to seeing pictures.
Though not appropriate for showing, my senior prom dress had pockets. I was delighted when I discovered that!

Black dobie + red is my favorite combination ;) Looking forward to hearing/seeing what you come up with. I've heard it said that the handler is expected to contrast, but not be too terribly flashy. Also, careful of your shoes!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dansko makes some great shoes that are sensible for dog showing!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ha!

well.. i was thinking red but i am not so sure i can pull it off. I have a fair complexion!

In the ring normally i wear a skirt suit, in my breed there is only one other person who wears a skirt, everyone else in trousers. I have been converted to skirts i have to say.. and this is a shocker considering I am tom-boy-esq in every other way!

For me.. and my frame, the most flattering cuts are empire or halter (ample boobs!) i'll have a friend of mine make up a bait bag to match the dress for the day though.

I am lucky as my boy free stands most of the time but every so often i will have to adjust his feet which i do from above.. so cant have anything too low cut as other wise i could be suffering from a wardrobe malfunction!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
That sounds how UKC shows used to be here in the US. They were very casual and fun. Seems now they're trying to be more like AKC, rules changing, people getting more competitive, dressing up instead of just going and enjoying the dogs. My breed isn't fully AKC recognized yet so we're still showing UKC lots. :)
What breed are they? They look adorable.

·
Registered
702 Posts
What breed are they? They look adorable.
Rat Terriers, an American breed. :)

Georgie,

I was just looking at some pictures and saw a lovely woman showing a B&T Dobe in an old Can top 20 photo, she was wearing a beautiful pewter colored halter style gown. Very pretty. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rat Terriers, an American breed. :)

Georgie,

I was just looking at some pictures and saw a lovely woman showing a B&T Dobe in an old Can top 20 photo, she was wearing a beautiful pewter colored halter style gown. Very pretty. :)
I think i am going to hunt you down for a hug.. never thought of that colour. found some simply stunning dress on the bay of E... now to "loose" £150 to hide buying it from the hubby!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts