Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be an odd question, but as I'm still searching for a puppy I was wondering if a show crop is let's say required for showing or is a shorter crop acceptable? I guess I'm saying I like medium crops and was wondering if a non show crop would negatively affect any results. I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My boy's breeder crops all the puppies similarly (about the same length but done to fit each individual puppy's head) and he has a crop that is on the longer side of medium.

If you're looking to show, and I"m sure you'll be looking at reputable breeders, the breeder is going to have the puppies cropped to their preference. Cropping is usually done at 7 weeks and picking/placing puppies, to my understanding, is usually done at 8-10 weeks so it's quite rare for a breeder to do a specific crop on a specific puppy for a specific person.

·
Super Moderator
15,549 Posts
I agree, if you're purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder who shows their dogs in conformation you probably won't really be making this decision; it will be up to the breeder. Good luck on your breeder/puppy search!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Your puppy should come to you already cropped by a respected DOBERMAN ear cropper. I only have 2 crops cropped done on my puppies and it is hard to tell between the 2. IF you go to my website. Heiress had a show crop for the time when she was shown. Her daughter Zora now as that crop as a pet crop. I think they look very nice and alike. But the show crop is what the other girls have now. A longer crop. Very pretty. I prefer the long crop. It is a personal preference some do and some do not like it. But I can say all my show pups are cropped show and pet are cropped pet. Not much of a difference in the crop its self just length. Unless you know what your looking for when you have your pups done by a RESPECT and REPUTABLE DOBERMAN ear cropper

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I guess I should have been clearer. I'm not looking to buy a show quality dog. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can if I decide in the future to buy a show quality dog. I guess I was just asking if you get points off for different crops, I wasnt planning on taking a pet quality dog into the show ring. I was just asking out of curiosity. But thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well, my thought is if you have the option for what kind of crop you can have, chances are high that you are not buying a dog that could be competitive.

Great point KenivK. I make me crazy when they say ear cropping extra. And then they send them home with a new owner freshly cropped.

Not reputable by any means.

Reactions: gatehouse

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. I guess I should have been clearer. I'm not looking to buy a show quality dog. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can if I decide in the future to buy a show quality dog. I guess I was just asking if you get points off for different crops, I wasnt planning on taking a pet quality dog into the show ring. I was just asking out of curiosity. But thanks for the answers.
You won't really get "points off" for different crops, unless it's a really horrible crop. But cropping can make or break a dogs head. If the crop is bad or doesn't compliment the dog, the judge can think the dog has a horrible head piece.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
You won't really get "points off" for different crops, unless it's a really horrible crop. But cropping can make or break a dogs head. If the crop is bad or doesn't compliment the dog, the judge can think the dog has a horrible head piece.
True. Also true that a longer crop can go a long ways towards masking a variety of head faults.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's almost unheard of for an ethical breeder to give the owners a choice in the crop, almost as unheard of as a breeder who isn't ethical to be producing puppies who would be competitive in the show ring,

It may seem very strange that ethical breeders sort of automatically all crop, but really just works out that way. Those ethical breeders also crop ALL of their puppies, so whether you go with a show prospect or not, an ethical breeder will send you a beautifully cropped puppy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts