Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
^^ I would not trust them much, on first glance / info. very vague and misleading...not much to research.
- puppy cost ?
- website ?

BREEDING SINCE 2016
nicholas frisby is from Maryland and breeds Doberman Pinschers.

AKC proudly supports dedicated and responsible breeders. We encourage all prospective puppy owners to do their research and be prepared with questions to ask the breeder. Make sure you are not only choosing the right breed for you, but also that you’re getting it from the right individual.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
HARD NOPE. Don't even go look at the puppies - you do NOT want to support this breeder, and if you go, it'll be hard to avoid bringing home a puppy. Logic disappears in the face of cute, trust me.

Instead of going into a problematic situation with puppies whose temperament you cannot predict, and with questionable health, why not contact Mariann, our breeder referral? She can direct you to someone nearby(ish) who is breeding, has a litter planned, etc. The link to our website can be found in my signature...at the bottom of the website, there's a Contact Us link.

·
Big Lil pup
6,150 Posts
I want to back up what falnfenix said. She said it way better than I would have.

Beaumont also.

Dobermans are a breed apart. I have owned them for 44 years. A well bred, well trained Dobe, is IMO, is just about the perfect dog, in just about every sense of the word "perfect".

i've said it before and I will reiterate: A badly bred, poorly raised Doberman can be the dog from hell. I am referring to temperament, health issues and incompatibly with both humans and dogs.

The amount of time spent researching and, perhaps, the upfront dollars spent, combined with an understanding of what the breed requires and following through, will allow you to end up with probably the most rewarding human/pet experience of your life.

I, for one, am really glad that you reached out to a knowledgable community.

Best to you in your search for the right puppy.

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
hey DDD, if you're local to Maryland/Baltimore, why not come to the shows in Timonium the weekend of the 20th? Dobes will be showing all weekend, and our Specialty is ON Friday the 20th. We begin showing at (I believe) 9:30 in the back right corner of the Cow Palace. This is an excellent way to see a LOT of dogs, and network with owners and breeders to find the breeder you should go with.

You won't have a better opportunity until next spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for your advice and responses. I went ahead and cancelled my appointment with that breeder and messaged the local chapter (thanks to @falnfenix) to find a responsible breeder.

If any of you know a trustworthy breeder in the DC, Maryland, PA, WV area, please let me know. I have already contacted a few via www.dpca.org, but haven't received any responses (and their websites seemed to be outdated).

anyways, i will keep you updated on my search. thank you again, this was incredibly helpful!

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
@falnfenix I was just looking at it! I am definitely interested in attending, although I have never been to a dog show before. I don't know if I need to register since I am not showing a dog. also, are you a breeder yourself?
Dog shows are spectator friendly! Just get there early and if you want to talk to handlers do it after they leave the ring with their dogs. There will be plenty of knowledgeable and helpful dobe people watching who you can talk to also.

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
Dog shows are spectator friendly! Just get there early and if you want to talk to handlers do it after they leave the ring with their dogs. There will be plenty of knowledgeable and helpful dobe people watching who you can talk to also.
And buy a catalog. It will have the dog's registered names and numbers listed, as well as their sire and dam, breeder(s) and owner(s), which can be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I am not a breeder, just an enthusiast who somehow ended up the president of the local DPCA chapter club. :) If you come on Friday, ask anyone in the club (folks working at our ring) for Laura and I'll be happy to talk with you.

There is only one breeder in WV I would consider, and she breeds very, very rarely. There are a number of excellent breeders in Eastern PA and NJ. I know of just one in Maryland and one in Virginia, and I don't know of any in Delaware or DC. Mariann can help you find someone. She'll also be at the show - I'll make sure you meet her, as well. :)

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
@falnfenix Thank you so much!!! I will be sure to find you on the 20th!!
I'll have a President badge on, and MOST LIKELY some sort of Doberman-specific shirt. Unless it's cool enough for leggings, then I'll be in the Dobe leggings. Either way, someone will point you my way. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts