Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Big Lil pup
8,417 Posts
Hi KBG. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

So the donut.... I am assuming your pup was just cropped. The general consensus, here on DT is to refrain from using a cone whenever possible. In fact, many of us here suggest no cone and no donut, unless totally necessary. Generally, when the ears are newly cropped, they may still a bit painful, but they mainly itch. Usually the after a few attempts to scratch the ears are successful, the pup realizes that trying to satisfy the itch actually hurts. And they usually give it up rather quickly.

If that doesn't work for you and you still need to provide some protection for a few days, I would still advise you to steer clear of an Elizabethan collar (The Cone of Shame. LOL) and stick with an inflatable collar. Over the years, it has become clear to many folks very familiar with post crop aftercare, that... While the E collars are excellent tools for many medical issues, with respect to ear cropping, the problems that they can cause outweigh any potential advantage that they may provide.

That being said: All inflatable donut collars are not created equal in fit size or quality. If you look around you may find one that affords better protection.

If your girl was my pup,, I would simply lose the collar altogether and for the first few days, be pretty vigilant about her leaving the ears alone. You may be surprised how quickly she begins to ignore the ears completely. Often folks report that ditching the collar was what took away the desire to scratch at the ears.

Also.... I am going to include a link to an excellent discussion by member greenkouki about cropped ears. Since your girls ears are already cropped just skip to the pertinent parts about aftercare. And make sure to take a look at the linked threads provided about actually posting ears. It is highly recommend here on DT for the owner to post their own pup's ears. And, you are in the right place to learn how and get advice and support. One of the primary reasons Doberman Talk exists is to provide support to folks less familiar with this breed

Ear Cropping and Aftercare: Do's and Don'ts
When looking at the included links, pay special attention to the tremendous visual tutorial, also by greenkouki, on how to post show cropped ears using backer rod.

Well, that's all I've got. Except I would love to know the name of your new girl. And we all would enjoy some more pictures. One of the nice things about frequenting this forum, is the ability to watch all the pups grow up!

John L
Portland OR

Edit to say: The important thing is to return with any and all questions. There will always be someone here who can eventually address any issues, questions or concerns that you may have.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,177 Posts
Just a little addendum to 4X4's excellent post--the reason the Elizabethan cone/collar doesn't work that well in newly cropped puppies is that it tends to rub on the ears, pushing them forward and irritating the cut edges of the ears. That makes the pup scratch and mess with his ears even more. It may actually slow down the healing process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi KBG. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

So the donut.... I am assuming your pup was just cropped. The general consensus, here on DT is to refrain from using a cone whenever possible. In fact, many of us here suggest no cone and no donut, unless totally necessary. Generally, when the ears are newly cropped, the may still a bit painful, but they mainly itch. Usually the after a few attempts to scratch the ears are successful, the pup realizes that trying to satisfy the itch actually hurts. And they usually give it up rather quickly.

If that doesn't work for you and you still need to provide some protection for a few days, I would still advise you to steer clear of an Elizabethan collar (The Cone of Shame. LOL) and stick with an inflatable collar. Over the years, it has become clear to many folks very familiar with post crop aftercare, that... While the E collars are excellent tools for many medical issues, with respect to ear cropping, the problems that they can cause outweigh any potential advantage that they may provide.

That being said: All inflatable donut collars are not created equal in fit size or quality. If you look around you may find one that affords better protection.

If your girl was my pup,, I would simply lose the collar altogether and for the first few days, be pretty vigilant about her leaving the ears alone. You may be surprised how quickly she begins to ignore the ears completely. Often folks report that ditching the collar was what took away the desire to scratch at the ears.

Also.... I am going to include a link to an excellent discussion by member greenkouki about cropped rears. Since your girls ears are already cropped just skip to the pertinent parts about aftercare. And make sure to take a look at the linked threads provided about actually posting ears. It is highly recommend here on DT for the owner to post their own pups ears. And, you are in the right place to learn how and get advice and support. One of the primary reasons Doberman Talk exists is to provide support to folks less familiar with this breed

Ear Cropping and Aftercare: Do's and Don'ts
When looking at the included links, pay special attention to the tremendous visual tutorial, also by greenkouki, on how to post show cropped ears using backer rod.

Well, that's all I've got. Except I would love to know the name of your new girl. And we all would enjoy some more pictures. One of the nice things about frequenting this forum, is the ability to watch all the pups grow up!

John L
Portland OR

The important thing is to return with any and all questions. There will always be someone here who can eventually address any issues, questions or concerns that you may have.
Thank you so much for that! I’ll will try and see how she reacts without the donut for sure! Was just scared she’d hurt herself ! And my baby girls name is Katana ! Like from mortal Kombat :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
By the time I got him, Gibbs the German Pinscher had stitches out and was no longer in a collar, so I have no experience with these. This was a pic his breeder sent me, though. These ... discs ... look pretty effective to me, without the problem of rubbing on ears.

+
Dog Dog supply Vertebrate Carnivore Comfort
+

My reservation would be if the tubes it's made of are filled with air and all are continuous. My only experience with a donut was that it failed because it went flat, whether that was because it was defective or caused by a dog scratching I don't know, but it put me off the things.

I think the above is on Amazon here, but I don't know if it's the same one Gibbs' breeder used.

https://www.amazon.com/Alfie-Pet-Petoga-Couture-Waterproof/dp/B07B8XGGD8

·
Registered
98 Posts
Although I am new to ear crop aftercare, I thought I would share my experience. Our Doberman ears were recently cropped and in the beginning, we had a bunch of questions. Although we thought that the Elizabeth cone/donut would benefit our puppy, we quickly found out that it was actually doing more harm than good. We kept the Elizabeth collar on for the first night and then switched over to the donut the next day. The donut was on for 1 full day and by the next day, we noticed gooey liquid building up at the base. When we saw that, we took the donut off completely and just let it air out. After that experience, we just left the ears alone and did not put any kind of protection collar on. The ears healed just fine!

Your case seems very similar to ours. Our puppy would try to scratch his ears non stop when the donut was on and we were hesitant to take off the donut due to scratching. But after taking it off, he didn't try to scratch it as much. Maybe once an hour or so. From my own experience, I can say that the donut causes the puppy to notice its ears more and encourage more scratching which causes more irritation. Try to take off the donut for an hour and observe and see if you're comfortable with it off.

You can check out my thread about it too. I've been posting daily updates from the time he got his ears cropped to when it's completely healed.

Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts