Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about neutering achilles, he just turned 2 yesterday and is a great dog, only problem i have been having with him, is with other un-altered males, they tend to be youned then him, and he gets dominant and will pin them down and snip at their face, which is unexceptable, so i dont plan on breeding and wanted to wait, so is now the good time??

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most dogs mature around 7 months and If he is lifting his leg to urinate

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe the standard for most large breed dogs is 18 months, I neutered dickson at 6 months because he was very dominant and and fear aggression issues but I'm almost positive full maturity and growth is reached by 18 months.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dobermans are known for male-male aggression, so these issues you are describing are somewhat normal, especially with a sexually mature intact male. Neutering won't solve the problem, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider it sooner than later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm i feel it would help a little? for instance i was at the dog park yesterday for an hour with 20 other dogs, males and females and my boy had 0 problems, then my friend showed up with is 10 month un altered rott, and it was like immidiate he went over to dominate him

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
hmm i feel it would help a little? for instance i was at the dog park yesterday for an hour with 20 other dogs, males and females and my boy had 0 problems, then my friend showed up with is 10 month un altered rott, and it was like immidiate he went over to dominate him
You shouldn't be taking a newly 2 year old intact male Doberman to the dog park. That's asking for a problem.

You should want to neuter your dog to prevent any accidental breedings. Other than that, your male will likely exhibit some same sex aggression regardless of being neutered or not.

In regards to your original question, I say neuter now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok ya, its just a dog park behind my house where everybody knows everybodys dog, but ya anyways thanks for the opinions, im going to set up an apointment to neuter!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
This breed really isn't generally an appropriate choice for dog parks, especially males, and absolutely unaltered ones. They are prone to same sex aggression, and that really isn't something that can be trained out.

I hope your breeder told you, when you got a male, that you likely wouldn't be able to allow him around other males. It sounds like a dog park is a VERY dangerous place for him.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
ok ya, its just a dog park behind my house where everybody knows everybodys dog, but ya anyways thanks for the opinions, im going to set up an apointment to neuter!
I'd still be careful though because if something happens between your dog and someone elses, it's almost always blamed on the Doberman :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would neuter and not allow him to interact with other males. Neutered or not. Dobermans are known for same sex aggression and the fights can happen very quickly. If he is dominating other males then he will probably just get worse as he gets older if you continue to take him to a dog park.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
yes, absolutely yes. any and every dog (and cat) that would not bring improvement and benefit to the breed they would represent should be neutered, for the health and safety of the pet, peace of mind for their family, and to help control and decrease the possibility of adding to the massive over-population and heart-breaking levels of euthanasia we currently have. Thank you for caring.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Neuter! And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe your days at the dog park are officially over...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts