Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gut instinct is that to even ask this question means yes, lol. Jack’s ear was getting lazy and starting to weaken last time I left him unposted for a couple days to test. So I posted him for a month straight without any testing in between. Now just two days without posts his tips look like they’re already wanting to curl back. At least to me, but it’s possible I’m being over critical.

When rescued, his tips were extremely curled back. I’m wondering if maybe they won’t ever stand totally straight.

Anyway, do you think I should throw him back in the half posts? Also, he’s about 8.5 months now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, here is a photo when he was just unposted and they definitely seem not as lazy here. To be fair, in the other photos, he was worn out and the tips seem to curl more when he’s tired.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,026 Posts
Well, they look at least passable with the tips curled back as they are--but they look REALLY good when you had just unposted him and they were absolutely straight.

I'd continue posting--it's not that uncommon to have to post longer then 8.5 months--and it's possible that another few postings will be all you need.

You might want to take pictures every day when you do start to leave them unposted so you can compare one day to the next and decide if they are getting worse or staying the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, they look at least passable with the tips curled back as they are--but they look REALLY good when you had just unposted him and they were absolutely straight.

I'd continue posting--it's not that uncommon to have to post longer then 8.5 months--and it's possible that another few postings will be all you need.

You might want to take pictures every day when you do start to leave them unposted so you can compare one day to the next and decide if they are getting worse or staying the same.
Yeah I think he definitely needs to be posted again. Honestly, I feel like the photos don’t do the curl justice when he’s sleepy. My big concern is that it doesn’t seem like the tips made any progress in the month he was just posted. It was basically the exact same situation - ears stayed standing but the tips curled in within a couple days. So I post for another month and then the tips are still curling inwards in just a couple days again. Kind of worries me.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,026 Posts
I guess at some point, if his ears keep curling, you'll have to figure out whether you should just stop posting--but it may be too early to decide that. Try to get yourself some good accurate pictures of the way his ears look now, both alert and tired. Then you can see if they truly are just as bad with no improvement the next time you decide to leave them down. They may actually have gotten better (even if only incrementally) and you don't realize it, because visual memory isn't necessarily accurate.

·
Big Lil pup
6,742 Posts
Hi Jack, you handsome devil!

Tell your folks the you want an opportunity to always hold those tips straight and to keep posting!

In all seriousness, in my opinion, whenever in doubt, and unless there is a reason not to, you should post until you are completely satisfied.
That's what I did with McCoy, and then went one step further and supported the tips with mole foam for several more weeks. My son's pup is 7+ months and they are adopting the same attitude. His ears stand quite well, but as Popeye is completely content in posts, and posting has become almost second nature, they will leave them up for a while longer and reassess a few days at a time.

One other thing that I am pretty sure you are aware of and I mentioned above.... You can generally hold the tips very straight simply with a nice form fitting strip of mole foam securely glued on. You could do that for weeks or even longer. In fact with Jacks pink ears, you would hardly even see them.

When I had McCoy's tips secured with foam, I always had a little bottle of skin glue (liquid bandage) around and if one strip started to come loose and I wasn't in the mood to replace it, I just whipped out the bottle and re-glued it.

Simple.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jack, you handsome devil!

Tell your folks the you want an opportunity to always hold those tips straight and to keep posting!

In all seriousness, in my opinion, whenever in doubt, and unless there is a reason not to, you should post until you are completely satisfied.
That's what I did with McCoy, and then went one step further and supported the tips with mole foam for several more weeks. My son's pup is 7+ months and they are adopting the same attitude. His ears stand quite well, but as Popeye is completely content in posts, and posting has become almost second nature, they will leave them up for a while longer and reassess a few days at a time.

One other thing that I am pretty sure you are aware of and I mentioned above.... You can generally hold the tips very straight simply with a nice form fitting strip of mole foam securely glued on. You could do that for weeks or even longer. In fact with Jacks pink ears, you would hardly even see them.

When I had McCoy's tips secured with foam, I always had a little bottle of skin glue (liquid bandage) around and if one strip started to come loose and I wasn't in the mood to replace it, I just whipped out the bottle and re-glued it.

Simple.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
We tried using breathe rights on him in the past, however I think they (or maybe the strips paired with the glue?) weigh his ears down over time and made them flop a bit which is when I threw him in half backer-rod posts for the month.

All that to ask… is the mole foam lighter?

·
Big Lil pup
6,742 Posts
Mole foam is more rigid and thicker, not really any lighter. But more importantly, it can be trimmed to length, width and shape. This makes mole foam much more versatile than Breathe Rite strips. I do notice that Jack has rather thick and wide tips. Still, If they remain erect for a period of time after being released from the posts, that's the way one sees ears that simply need more time. If ears flop, or in this case curl immediately after all this time posts, I might be less optimistic.

Also, Perhaps his lower ears are stronger now than they were previously. I guess you'll never know unless you try! LOL

John L.
PDX

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I wondered the same about the middle part of the ear being stronger than it was a month prior as well. I may just throw some breaths right strips on him for now and check out some videos for the mole foam method (tho I’m sure it’s pretty straightforward).

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
I'd keep posting :)

Reactions: 4x4bike ped

·
Premium Member
10,587 Posts
Here's one that'll make you cringe--I've had a couple of dogs who were posted in full posts until they were a year--the only time they were out of posts was when they were shown--I'd take the posts down just before we went into the show grounds and reposted as soon as we got out of the show grounds and one dog who had one ear that didn't want to stand for even a full day--he went around in one post until he was near 18 months.

I've had better luck with curly tips though--and I'd try John's^^ mole foam method since you've already tried the breathe rite strips. I've had mixed results with the strips--so I've used both--when the strips worked they worked almost immediately and if they didn't I tried mole foam and switched back to the strips when it looked like the tips had stopped trying to curl either in or out (I've had both). What you might do is do half posts again and when you take them down before the tips have a chance to curl at all I'd try the mole foam version--sometimes small changes in what you are doing or how will make a lot of difference.

So, good luck--when he's first out of the posts and his ears are straight they look great so I think it's worth spending a little more time working on getting that curl subdued.

dobebug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts