Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello New Guy here,
I have a 7 Month old Female pup (I Have had the pup since 5.5months old). I must Admit I am new to posting but I asked my vet he showed me how to post so I continue to keep ears taped.

First Problem.
The tape (medical cloth type) keeps causeing sores. I have to remove tape after a few days treat the ears let them dry out and scab over before I re-tape.

Second Problem.
I have been very diligent about this I am a truck driver So my pup is with me 24/7 I keep her distracted from scratching and removing tape. However the ears continue to flop over. I don't know if I am just wasting time at this point however I am going to seek ya'lls advice.

Third Problem.
The breeder told me the crop was done late (12 or 13 weeks I think) is that my real problem?

Your advice and council will be appreciated.
Jon

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Breeders tend to have the crop performed around 7 weeks of age, so the ears have time to heal and get their first posting before going home to their new owners. Cropping can be done successfully at 12 weeks, but the older the puppy gets after 7-8 weeks, the less chance the have of standing. It all depends on the quality of the ear leather and also the quality of the crop.

Members here have been known to continue posting well into the dog's 2nd year of life, sometimes as long as 18 months. Keep the faith, keep on posting!

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

This is probably one of the best photo tutorials out there for posting methods. I think Zonas tape is the best that you can get for the job. I wish you the best of luck in getting those ears to stand! Be patient!!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Your main problem are the sores. You cant tape over sores or scabs. You have to wait till they are completely healed or, if possible, tape around them. Stop at a Farmers Co-Op or a horse supply store and get some Horsemans Dream. It is an excellent cream for sores. What taping method are you using? There are good instructions above in the stickys. Try a lite powdering of the fur side of ears w/BFI or Gold Bond Medicated powder, dust off excess and tape. Stops fur being pulled out. She shouldnt be scratching as posting shouldnt bother her beyond 5/10 mins after taping. You could use masking tape instead of cloth as it doesnt pull fur out making sores. Be sure to tape loosely and srunch w/hands to make tape stick to ears and itself. Seven months is too early to give up and her ears should stand even w/cropping that late. How about pics before and after taping.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi,

I had a male who I posted until well past a year.

I'd recommend if you can find a breeder/handler in your area who can show you how to post, to do that. Even a dane breeder/handler. I would not give up.

Where are the irritated spots on your puppy's ears? Can you post photos? Depending on the irritation you may be able to cut corks in half lengthwise and glue to the inside of the ear.

There are super experienced owners on here who will chime in with advice.

KC/Linda

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
my pup had sores the first posting, the breeder said it might have been our weather. The second posting after the sores were healed went great, no sores. The weather changed so maybe it was maybe it wasn't. So maybe post the ear where you tape the posts sticky side out and then put them in the ear and then tape the base of the ear with a strip of tape, the middle and the top so that the ears can breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts