Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a doberman in the future and have done some research on the breed but I am still on the edge about getting one because of my limited experience with dogs and the size and strength of a Doberman. As much as the type of dog is appealing to me, i fear that if it goes wrong things become more dangerous than if i had gone with a smaller dog. I have had a mini australian shepherd in the past who was quiet, and gave me no issues at all. How similar will it be to train and own a Doberman? Another concern i have is that i will successfully bond with the dog, train him, and it becomes a loving member of the family, but doesn't do well with guests and strangers. As much as i want a dog i dont want him to interfere to much with visitors and i've heard this can be an issue with dobermans because they are protective. Lastly, can this dog be one that is a family dog rather than a working dog or guard dog and can dobermans be good with children? Any advice helps, thank you.

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Bluesif - With all the negative doberman questions asked...please list your breed attraction reasons for:

Re. I am thinking about getting a doberman in the future...

Your research is very-very Limited, if one does not know that a well loved & trained Dobe.
- the kids, mom & dad are Golden / become a family pack for Dobe, & they tend to protect, loved ones from any harm

However, there is differences in Temperament, some Dobes more clingy like a black lab / others more independent
- will bark with much fierce, when the front door bell is rang
- or strangers, just can't walk onto your property, with dobe nearby
- without an adult outside, to supervise interaction

Prey drive in pups, can turn into adults of either Low-Med-High Drive...what you want ?

Also, how old are your kids ?
- but they still have to be respectful & loving, around any dog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if it sounded condescending towards dobermans and im aware of how great they can be, that is why im considering one. But i'd like to know some things such as how big an issue visitors would be, how much time id need to take introducing the dog to a child or strangers, and if they need more frequent/longer training.

·
Super Moderator
21,257 Posts
I would strongly recommend that you get out to some dog shows and meet Dobermans and their owners/breeders. A well bred Doberman who is properly socialized and trained should not have an issue with your family and guests. They may be aloof towards strangers (as in, they may not be overly affectionate towards people they don't know well), but not aggressive. That would be a temperament flaw, and undesirable. You would see that in Dobermans with poor genetics, poor training and socialization, etc. The only time a Doberman should be aggressive towards a stranger is if they are threatening you. THAT SAID, you *can* see Dobermans with poor temperaments exhibit this trait, which is why it's so important to find a quality breeder, both so that you get a puppy with a good, stable temperament, and also to get the support of a good breeder who will help answer your questions as you raise your puppy. It's also important that you get your puppy into a puppy class, to properly socialize your puppy so they are exposed to many different people and things, and to keep your pup in obedience classes throughout their young life into adolescence and early adulthood so they become well behaved canine citizens.

I don't think this is unique to Dobermans...all dogs should have socialization and training.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm with MeadowCat (this is a Doberman page not a Cat page. LOL I have been holding that one for a while) Get to know a few Dobermans of good breedings. Mine have no problems. I totally agree with a good quality will also be good temperament. That is some of the things that a good breeder looks at. Call some breeders that are heavy into showing and see if you can come out and take a look at their dogs. Serious caution. be prepared to fall in love and be hooked on a breed for the rest of your life to such a degree that everything else will seem like cut rate.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,066 Posts
And just a little comment--we’re all saying "call some breeders who show their dogs”--and lots of folks say “Show dogs? I just want a normal family dog, not a dog to be prettified to shine in the show ring."

But the fact is that a breeder who is breeding to improve the breed and showing their dog in some venue to get an outside opinion about the quality of their breeding, is one that will be doing the proper health testing on the parents, making sure that their dogs have the correct temperament and who is socializing their puppies well so they will be dogs that will be able to adapt to lots of different situations.

And there are pet quality puppies in every litter--maybe with just a little cosmetic flaw--something that would make the dog not quite perfect for the show ring. But still a great family pet and still gorgeous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, will do. Thanks for the help. I've read and found that Dobermans are on average about $1,000 to $1,500 dollars but how much would I be looking at on average for a quality Doberman? I ask this just for reference, price isn't too much an issue but its nice to have a comparison point.

·
Super Moderator
21,257 Posts
Ok, will do. Thanks for the help. I've read and found that Dobermans are on average about $1,000 to $1,500 dollars but how much would I be looking at on average for a quality Doberman? I ask this just for reference, price isn't too much an issue but its nice to have a comparison point.
I think those estimates are a bit low...I would expect to pay at least $2000-2500 in most of the country for a well bred Doberman. Do keep in mind that price alone isn't a good indicator of quality. Some of the worst breeders charge as much, OR MORE, than good breeders.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I live in the PNW, I find the prices are higher in my region, but most Dobermans from reputable breeders were around $2500. My Great Dane was similar, part of the cost is the expense of cropping though.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
I live in the PNW, I find the prices are higher in my region, but most Dobermans from reputable breeders were around $2500. My Great Dane was similar, part of the cost is the expense of cropping though.
I agree that on average most of the puppies at this time from a reputable breeder both here in the Pacific Northwest and anyplace else in the US are around $2500. But this includes a cropped, docked and dewclaw removed puppy who has usually at 10 or 12 weeks had at least two sets of routine vaccines and several wormings (which actually should be down about four times to make sure that eggs which hatch and turn into worms also get dealt with.

I regularly go and look at sites posted by BYB's and occasionally at the two or three actual puppy mills. The BYB's rarely include cropping which can run as high as $500 to $800 for a single puppy and many of the vets who crop aren't very good at it and also charge for each posting--often as much as $25 per posing. The puppy mills sometimes quote prices that make me gasp--$3500 to $4000--from crap lines with virtually no health testing.

Makes the $2500 look like a deal when you are talking to a reputable breeder.

The puppies that are price at $800 or $1200 are usually uncropped and if you get below $800 they are nearly always the "leftover" puppies who didn't sell at 8 weeks or 12 weeks and got to be 4 or 5 months and weren't so cute any more and cost more to feed and were more trouble and work to keep.

Going for bargains rarely turns out to be a good idea.

·
Registered
529 Posts
with everything being said is true some very reputable breeders are now in the 3000 to 3500 range for top show prospects and some of these breeders sell pet pups for very close or the same as their show prospects. But you have to remember to get a their dogs into the top 20 takes some serious money. A lot of money in health testing, showing and even in the breeding itself. while believe it or not there usually isn't profit in it for them unless they breed several litters a year which most don't.

·
Premium Member
13,102 Posts
This is where I am compelled to jump in!

Please don't forget about rescues. They are out there!

I want a puppy sOOOO bad. Can't have it right now.

I am holding out for a rescue that will fit perfectly in my household. I am going for a teenager.

Been without my puppy, Axel, since I joined this site.

Best wishes and I am jealous.

:2surprise:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a Doberman rescue in your area? Maybe consider volunteering and get more of a feel for the breed. Also you might consider fostering. Way to have a trial run if you will without long term commitment. Never enough fosters. A good rescue just like a good breeder will select a Doberman best suited to your circumstances. Something to consider rather than jumping all the way in and deciding not your cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,102 Posts
Already filled out an adoption application with a rescue group. Fostered two rescues and have owned two Dobes in my Dobe Love infested life. I am on top of it. Preaching to the choir, Cal.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I am thinking about getting a doberman in the future and have done some research on the breed but I am still on the edge about getting one because of my limited experience with dogs and the size and strength of a Doberman. As much as the type of dog is appealing to me, i fear that if it goes wrong things become more dangerous than if i had gone with a smaller dog. I have had a mini australian shepherd in the past who was quiet, and gave me no issues at all. How similar will it be to train and own a Doberman? Another concern i have is that i will successfully bond with the dog, train him, and it becomes a loving member of the family, but doesn't do well with guests and strangers. As much as i want a dog i dont want him to interfere to much with visitors and i've heard this can be an issue with dobermans because they are protective. Lastly, can this dog be one that is a family dog rather than a working dog or guard dog and can dobermans be good with children? Any advice helps, thank you.

I had limited experience too before I got my doberman. I received a dog breed book as a child for Christmas and I loved to lie in my bed and look at the dogs and read about them- always would go to the doberman pinscher and think Wow..... one day I want one of those! Well, now I have one. He loves everyone that comes over, including mailman, FedEx, ups, culligan, terminex.... U name it, moose loves them and they love moose. I also was able to spend A LOT of time with him the first few months introducing him to our daily routine and the people who are a part of it. I took Him to the office and car wash. I would take his posts out right before we went to the beach so he could have fun then would repost. That's another thing..... MAKE SURE u understand the ear commitment- it is long and you have to be religious about it if you want them to look good and stand. find a breeder who crops the ears so you don't have to- Find a trainer before you get the puppy and start early- it's not like they can hold their focus for more than a few min at 12 weeks old (at least moose couldn't) but it was fun for M to be around other puppies in a class. I had friends who were nice enough to invite us over so Moose could socialize. We went to dog parks everyday for a few months but do not go anymore and I wouldn't recommend them unless yours is super clean. That's an entirely diff post so don't want to get off subject . I have 10 and 12 yr old stepdaughters. The youngest one loves him and the oldest one just wants to be on her phone with headphones on. Lol. I don't see why you would have a problem bonding with the dog. It's hard not to. You won't regret getting a doberman. I'm excited for you hope you find one! also, you came to the right place to ask questions bc these people have a lot of experience. I'm learning as I go but thankful for DT. Often times when I'm having what I think is a crisis, instead of posting a new thread, I will google "dobermantalk + ear posting methods" or "dobermantalk + orijen" whatever you want to search do that so it takes you to the old threads... 9 out of 10 times you won't need to post a new thread bc the answers are already on here . If you get a doberman, Post a pic when you get your new puppy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love Dobermans. I love all dogs but to me, this is the only breed I will always want. Dobermans are very smart, loyal and affectionate. If you don't want a dog which will insist on always clinging to you, including relaxing in bed with you under the covers you are doing yourself and the dog a disservice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bluesif - Have you considered volunteering in your local Doberman specific rescue? Would be an excellent way to get hands on experience to assist with your decision. Also have you considered fostering? Never enough foster homes. It would be a way to test drive a Dober without having to make long term commitment. Best of all youd be giving a Doberman safe refuge who is in dire straits thru no fault of their own. A good reputable DSR would take the time to hand pick just the right match for your given circumstance. Just as a reputable breeder would make every effort for best match. Sure many in rescue are train wrecks but there are plenty of lovely Dobers that arent their just cast offs. Folks go onto another hobby. Having a baby. Elders die. People get divorced. Being a rescue doesnt necessarily always mean undesireable. There are all sorts. Anyway think on volunteering and or fostering. Be well
bryanne

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think those estimates are a bit low...I would expect to pay at least $2000-2500 in most of the country for a well bred Doberman. Do keep in mind that price alone isn't a good indicator of quality. Some of the worst breeders charge as much, OR MORE, than good breeders.
Bluesif its also important to understand that our breed is expensive to maintain. There are are health issues with the Dober to the degree that it is presently in crisis. DCM strikes EVERY line its a matter of when. The Euros are in the same dire situation. DCM does not discriminate seemingly all it cares about is that the dog be all Doberman. Combine that with depleted gene pool and the scene is grim. It's a heartache. Our Dobers dropping dead younger and younger with more frequency. You must enter into this eyes wide open. The expenses for holtering testing etc are considerable. I know this must seem overwhelming...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts