Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if its a pimple or what. Its pretty hard to the touch. I don't know if I need to take him to the vet for it or if it will go away on its own? Its gotten grown a lot in 3 days.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If your ever unsure about something, it doesn't hurt to call up the vet and ask what they think you should do. If it appeared suddenly, changes in shape, colour, or size, has a weird smell, or is hard to the touch, that does merit a trip to the vet IMO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I usually take him in but I hate taking him in for something really minor and having to pay $60 for them to tell me its normal and will go away on its own. I was hoping someone had seen this before or knew what it was or if it was something to worry about.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It looks a lot like a spot Koa had on one of his legs months and months ago - we were in the vet and she said to keep an eye on it and one day within a week or so it was just gone and hasn't returned. Still don't know exactly what it was that Koa had....

·
Forager
115 Posts
I am not an expert on veterinary matters, so please put that in perspective.

Our 6-year-old boy developed a growth that looked a lot like that. We took him to the vet the next day. The vet aspirated the growth, and found that it was a mast cell tumor. I don't mean to scare you, as statistics show that 75% of mast cell tumors are either grade 1 or 2. Our boy's tumor, unfortunately, was grade 3, and we are working to treat him.

As a precaution, we urge you not to press on the growth or palpate it any way. If it is a mast cell tumor, touching it can release histamines into the dog's system. Until we sort out our treatment program with an oncologist, we have been urged to give our dog low doses of benadryl 2/x day and Pepcid to offset the release of histamine, which is responsible for allergic reaction.

As you know, most of these things are benign, but it is prudent to be cautious.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to everyone who responded - you have convinced me to take him to the vet. I am a little worried now because I have been touching it. Hopefully its nothing. Forager - sorry to hear about your boy, hopefully he can make a quick recovery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again to all who replied. The vet said Trey has a wart and it will fall off in a few weeks. She said he likely got it at the dog park - we are only going once or twice a month now..... oh well just another reason not to go to the dog park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts