Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an opportunity to buy a beautiful male puppy from a breeder we trust. Anatomically he’s gorgeous but his skin is causing some concern. I understand the patches on the elbows can often be rubbed off if they lay in one position too much, but the spot above his eye is supposedly from an injury where his body went into overdrive with a scab. It also looks like you can see his skin under his fur and we were told puppies go through a phase where their bodies grow faster than their coat before the coat catches up. Would love to hear if anyone has personal experience with these issues and if they resolved. Thank you!
Dog Vertebrate Blue Mammal Carnivore
Dog Dog breed Liver Working animal Pet supply

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I'm seeing scabs on the nose, too.

I would probably pass on this puppy.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
The poor pup looks unhealthy and I would be worried about the conditions he is being kept in with scabs on his elbows. I’d pass on him and any pup from this breeder. He does have a sweet face, though.
Good luck with your decision!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,071 Posts
I'd probably pass, as well. The puppy looks very unthrifty, what with the dull, thinning hair and scabs. I would wonder about demodectic mange and/or staph infection and/or papiloma.

·
Premium Member
11,574 Posts
Hi Holly and welcome to DT !

Now this is just my thoughts , But I have always been a eye guy , the eyes are the windows to your soul , is what they say , Anyway , look at either of the pictures you , posted , to me - thoughts are sad and sick looking eyes - not the bright , bright eyes a Doberman puppy has , He could be wormy or many other things , I hate to see the scabs on the side of his leg - that sure makes me think he is being raised on concrete . The one on his nose could be from roughing it up with another pup , but the way his eyes look , I don't think so , more like maybe some kind of bacterial thing may be going on .

You stated he is from a breeder you trust , so you have to know them - ask them what is going on and If you are thinking about buying the cutie , demand a Vet check as soon as possible . He needs a good home , but to me - there is something going on with him and it may something little .

But to answer your question , If I went there to look at buying a pup , I would have to walk away , anyway till he was cleared by the Vet and had them bright eyes .

Good luck !

Doc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The poor pup looks unhealthy and I would be worried about the conditions he is being kept in with scabs on his elbows. I’d pass on him and any pup from this breeder. He does have a sweet face, though.
Good luck with your decision!

Now this is just my thoughts , But I have always been a eye guy , the eyes are the windows to your soul , is what they say , Anyway , look at either of the pictures you , posted , to me - thoughts are sad and sick looking eyes - not the bright , bright eyes a Doberman puppy has , He could be wormy or many other things , I hate to see the scabs on the side of his leg - that sure makes me think he is being raised on concrete . The one on his nose could be from roughing it up with another pup , but the way his eyes look , I don't think so , more like maybe some kind of bacterial thing may be going on .

You stated he is from a breeder you trust , so you have to know them - ask them what is going on and If you are thinking about buying the cutie , demand a Vet check as soon as possible . He needs a good home , but to me - there is something going on with him and it may something little .

But to answer your question , If I went there to look at buying a pup , I would have to walk away , anyway till he was cleared by the Vet and had them bright eyes .

Good luck !

Doc

Good luck !

Doc
yeah, it’s kind of an interesting situation. She helps out another breeder in the area and this puppy actually came from them. She knows the dam and sire, and we have met them as well. She has just gained possession of this puppy. The puppies in her care all look much different and healthier. She has put him on an antibiotic to clear up his scabs. That is why we are even entertaining the idea because otherwise no way. But I appreciate your insight. Good point about the eyes. We were there for a couple of hours and he seemed to act fine but I have adopted a cat whose personality completely changed once we got him home and discovered he was sick. Once he was healed he was a different animal. LOL so maybe we aren’t seeing the correct personality.

·
Premium Member
11,574 Posts
Thanks for the reply Hollie - Here is what really bothers me - giving a pup meds and no knowing what you are really treating for , That can be just as bad - This pup needs medical - Professional Medical help asap . There are so many different kinds of bacterial things and there is a med for different kinds , just giving a Antibody is a shot in the dark .

Good luck

Doc

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
What about the breeder makes you feel they are trust worthy? This does not look like a healthy puppy - and should probably not be offered for sale till he is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Hollie - Here is what really bothers me - giving a pup meds and no knowing what you are really treating for , That can be just as bad - This pup needs medical - Professional Medical help asap . There are so many different kinds of bacterial things and there is a med for different kinds , just giving a Antibody is a shot in the dark .

Good luck

Doc
Got it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the breeder makes you feel they are trust worthy? This does not look like a healthy puppy - and should probably not be offered for sale till he is.
She was a vet tech for years before breeding and after visiting her and her dogs several times over the past several months, we feel comfortable she knows what she’s doing. And all her personal dogs look great and have desirable temperaments and longevity. That’s the visual testimony for us. But I agree, he didn’t look healthy although he acted fine and seemed very confident.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
I agree with Fitzmar--that puppy doesn't look healthy to me. The skin kind of looks like he's already got some kind of a staph infection and his coat is dull and I agree with ECIN that his elbows look like he was raised on cement with no bedding and frankly scabs don't "go into overdrive"--it looks like some sort of a growth which may be easily removed and benign.

All in all I'd pass--she may have been a vet tech for years and I know some vet techs that I'd trust further than a few vets that I've done business with (but briefly) but you say she recently acquired the puppy--why, how and what does it have to do with her breeding?

dobebug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She has opened up her home and access/inspection to her dogs like no one else. What we have seen of the dogs she cares for and has raised has been extraordinary (this is a dog that was initially raised elsewhere but she is now raising). We have some experience with breeders, Dobermans and other breeds, and hers seem to be some of the happiest, healthiest and well mannered dogs we have ever seen (she has several breeds). She raises the puppies in her home, not a separate kennel and is a behaviorist as well as former vet tech. We have also met a Doberman she rehabilitated from an abusive situation that we would take in a heartbeat and has rescued several other dogs with the intent to give a better life. We have seen her training techniques and they are all reward based, no punishment. We truly believe she has her dog’s best interest at heart including who they wind up with and she is very aware we will return it to her if there are chronic skin issues. All that to say, we believe in HER.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
She has opened up her home and access/inspection to her dogs like no one else. What we have seen of the dogs she cares for and has raised has been extraordinary (this is a dog that was initially raised elsewhere but she is now raising). We have some experience with breeders, Dobermans and other breeds, and hers seem to be some of the happiest, healthiest and well mannered dogs we have ever seen (she has several breeds). She raises the puppies in her home, not a separate kennel and is a behaviorist as well as former vet tech. We have also met a Doberman she rehabilitated from an abusive situation that we would take in a heartbeat and has rescued several other dogs with the intent to give a better life. We have seen her training techniques and they are all reward based, no punishment. We truly believe she has her dog’s best interest at heart including who they wind up with and she is very aware we will return it to her if there are chronic skin issues. All that to say, we believe in HER.
Is she doing the health testing recommended by the breed club? Appearances can be deceiving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts