Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
The 2006 core canine vaccine recommendations are:

Parvovirus, Distemper, rDistemper, Adenovirus-2 - minimum 3 doses between 6-16 wks, at 3-4 wk intervals - final dose at 14-16 wks. Booster 1 year after initial series, good for a year, then 3 years thereafter.

Rabies vaccine - given at 16 wks - first vaccine is good for 1 year, then 1 year or 3 years thereafter, depending on the product.

So based on these guidelines, if he got his last booster when he was between 14 - 16 wks old, you should be fine with the 3 rounds he's already had. I wouldn't over-vaccinate if I didn't have to, so I wouldn't recommend the extra parvo vaccine either.

From my experience, it hasn't been necessary to separate the rabies and distemper vaccines, unless the pet has had previous vaccine-related reactions or problems. Of course it never hurts, which is why some owners prefer to be safe than sorry and wait 2-3 wks between rabies and distemper vaccines.

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
You could probably go either way, but if it were my dog, I'd go ahead with that one last booster on May 1st - that way you know for sure he's fully protected. Most hospitals are recommending between 3-4 doses anyway, so even if this last booster is really his 4th dose, that still within the guidelines of most vets' recommendations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.