Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jordan just got his known second set of shots last Tuesday. The lady who turned him to the shelter said he had a set of shots but they were unable to confirm with the vets office so as far as we KNOW he has only had the set of shots when he was neutered and then from last week. I've been discussing with my vet whether or not to get him an extra parvo for precaution or leave it with just one more set which would make 3 rounds.

Years ago it was suggested that certain breeds get an extra parvo shot for prevention and rotties were suggested to have five shots and I remember dobermans being on that list also. Now they are coming out with new information on how over-immunizing can be detrimental and even possibly cause cancer from what I understand.

What is the recommended vaccines now? Should I leave it be with the 3 known sets of shots and possibly 4 if he was immunized before being surrrendered to the shelter or go ahead and get an extra one scheduled after this next set?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
At the hospital I worked at the vaccination schedule at 6, 8, 12, and 16 weeks (getting rabies with the last set). For the adult dogs with unknown status we gave two sets, a month apart, rabies with the first set. Of course, every place has different views on vaccination and different schedules. We also did annual rabies vaccination while others were doing 3 year schedules.

Depending on the age of your puppy, you should be fine with the 3 that are already done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
I'd think you're fine too ... and I'd rather not over vaccinate.
Just wondering too (Burns will probably be able to answer) - isn't it safer to give Rabies seperately from any other vaccines?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burns

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
I am very cautious about doing vaccines like Rabies close to any other vaccine. I know that the chances of a problem are small, but I will no longer do rabies within a month of any other vaccine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hum, I wish I'd have asked this last week. He did have his rabies last week with his combo vaccine and bordatella since the shelter did not give this when he was neutered. He has a small lump where he got his shots but it is starting to go down with no obvious discomfort or sensitivity in the area. It was the one year rabies.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
675 Posts
I just had a stray cat in for low cost spay/neuter and they gave her a distemper shot and a rabies shot at the same time. I might prefer not to do it that way in a perfect world, but I'm not in a perfect world and can't afford to wait on this stuff or pay full price for strays. She seems fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shelter did not do the distemper because they said they've noticed an inducive effect when given at the same time as neuter/spay. It was nice of them that they did give me a good discount on the adoption because he was behind on a lot of his puppy care.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
I just had a stray cat in for low cost spay/neuter and they gave her a distemper shot and a rabies shot at the same time. I might prefer not to do it that way in a perfect world, but I'm not in a perfect world and can't afford to wait on this stuff or pay full price for strays. She seems fine.
well, like I said it is a small risk, just one I won't take with my own dogs. I completely understand not being able to do it that way with strays or rescues. Sometimes, we have to take acceptable risks......... my human kids are all vaccinated also!

Once you have seen what HOD (Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy) can do to a puppy and find out that there is a good chance that they got it because of doing a 5 way and a rabies within a week of each other........... well, I will do everything in my power not to have that happen again to a puppy of mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,942 Posts
I also like to wait on rabies.
Personally I would not give this puppy anymore shots. No extra parvo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
hb... it's all just very scary when you start learning about it.... someone I know just lost a 6yr old dog from reactions to their Rabies shot... I am vaccinating on a very limited basis.... in fact just turned down "booster" shots for my 2.5 yr. old Pug, and you know what, my vet seemed to understand. We'll see what she says next time.
Velma...my kids are vaccinated too, but if I had babies today, I'd do it all differently....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,537 Posts
The 2006 core canine vaccine recommendations are:

Parvovirus, Distemper, rDistemper, Adenovirus-2 - minimum 3 doses between 6-16 wks, at 3-4 wk intervals - final dose at 14-16 wks. Booster 1 year after initial series, good for a year, then 3 years thereafter.

Rabies vaccine - given at 16 wks - first vaccine is good for 1 year, then 1 year or 3 years thereafter, depending on the product.

So based on these guidelines, if he got his last booster when he was between 14 - 16 wks old, you should be fine with the 3 rounds he's already had. I wouldn't over-vaccinate if I didn't have to, so I wouldn't recommend the extra parvo vaccine either.

From my experience, it hasn't been necessary to separate the rabies and distemper vaccines, unless the pet has had previous vaccine-related reactions or problems. Of course it never hurts, which is why some owners prefer to be safe than sorry and wait 2-3 wks between rabies and distemper vaccines.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He had his first set of shots from the shelter on the 20th at 14 weeks and then again on the 10th of this month from my vet. He's due again for his third known set on the 1st of May. So I should leave it at that until one year after his last set of shots then right? I really wish they could have found accurate records on him but without having them in hand I'd rather treat it as him never getting them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,537 Posts
You could probably go either way, but if it were my dog, I'd go ahead with that one last booster on May 1st - that way you know for sure he's fully protected. Most hospitals are recommending between 3-4 doses anyway, so even if this last booster is really his 4th dose, that still within the guidelines of most vets' recommendations.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top