Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rather out of the blue, Jack is shivering and panting. I have no idea why, but I'm new to dogs.

I suppose not entirely out of the blue, as he did just get spooked by the fire alarm beep which sent him off to a corner and has happened once before...but I don't think I've ever seen this exactly. I mean, I've never seen him pant before, unless exercised...as for the shivering, one time before I noticed that, and it was for something that had scared him, can't recall what. If this is fire alarm related, I could see why it may have happened; fire alarm testing was the one odd thing he was exposed to when he was younger, crated while I was at work, which may have freaked him out at the time.

But this panting is new to me. What does this mean? Is it best to ignore this sort of perhaps fearful behaviour so as not to reward it, or does it mean something else?

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
I agree with sam&macksmom. Lily is an anxious dog. She pants when she is stressed or unsettled or anxious. Re direct focus. Do some easy training exercises and reward. Or quick change of scenery. Little walk outside. When you go back in the house. Don't let him go back to the anxious state. A few more training exercises inside and maybe a good bone ect. To keep his mind positive.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks guys. Just took him for a little walk. Less anxious so far, but still sitting behind a chair.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
The more 'normal' you are the less anxious he'll be. Happy voice, normal activity in the house....and he'll feel better. High value treats that he can see. Sit them on the coffee table in front of you. If he comes to investigate. Great. Treat him.
I also don't get too excited when Lily moves forward. Even energy, with little rewards.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah pants when she gets anxious. If you really watch it is a different pant than if it is from exercise. Glad he is feeling better. I may have to go and test my alarm and see what she does. It drives Cujo insane...believe me if for some reason you cant hear the alarm you will hear Cujo barking!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's funny cuz Jack is totally fine with fireworks, thunderstorms, other alarms, any loud sound really...this is just the one thing that I wasn't here for when he was young, so he didn't have me to look to.

I suppose he could be ill, but he seems fine to me otherwise.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
shivering and panting = pain too. Look at his eyes, are they dull? normal and clear? Is he all roachy? take his temperature. Did he eat, a normal amount? drinking okay?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Our Sarge does the same thing when the electric goes out and the smoke alarm beeps. He goes into a panic shiver and hides. We try to redirect his attention, calmly with a favorite toy.Usually takes a few min to subside.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I second those symptoms with pain... especially going off into a corner or hiding behind a chair.

When Scarlet had Giardia and wasn't feeling well... she was shivering one night and the next morning starting hiding around the house, also her eyes looked dull. Within an hour she was throwing up and we were off to the vets.

Hope everything is ok with Jack now as I know this thread is a couple days old.

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
Update on Jack?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts