1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
i have a quick question..
my dobie is now 20 weeks old and we live in canada
his fur is everywhere , could it be that the weather is changing to winter?
or does this have to do with the food we give me? the vet said we can put him on pedagree PUPPY food until he is 1 year of age then change it to adult food !
he does not nibble or scratch him self and i only bath him when we go camping which we are not anymore to cold.. and i wipe him down with a damp reg everyday .
if you know anything about this please help
thank you :):)

·
Banned
7,478 Posts
Pedigree is a terrible dog food. It gets one star on this site. I would definitely improve your pup's diet. (go slowly).

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

My dobes are shedding a lot right now as well as the weather gets cooler. Judging from the soft thickness of Priscilla's coat, we are in for a rough winter again.

However, I don't brush them and should.

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
I agree, Pedigree is a very low quality food. There are lots of excellent kibbles out there. In Canada you have Orijen & Acana made there. Natures Variety Instinct, grainless, Natures Variety Prairie, w/grain, Wellness, etc. Check out the most stars for the grainless and the step below for foods w/grains. I have several sites below that can help you educate yourself on foods. Your pup is probably shedding his puppy coat. I remember Parker shed his at that age and his fur looked really thin, you could see his skin along his backbone when he was trotting away from you.

·
Banned
3,982 Posts
I belive shedding has genetic factor. My boy GIno doesn't shed at all what is unusual for Dobermans. Asha does it a bit and it's normal.

1. They both eat high quality food - Acana Grasslands and raw food.
2. They get 2 capsules of fish oil daily
3. I clean their coats with apple cidar vinegar (spay and towel down)
4. I bath them only after they get into dirt or horse poop. They swim a lot and like to play in the snow what is the best natural bath.

·
u mad?
6,502 Posts
Poor food is a factor. I've also found that fish oil helps a ton. Last, I have this mit/curry comb that I use to go over my boy once or twice a week. I do it outside and it gets rid of a lot of the loose hair and I find very little hair in the house.

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
Poor quality food is definitely a factor, but some dogs do shed more than others. Shanoa hardly sheds at all, and Simon is a fairly large shedder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.