Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I feel like I am posting every day because I'm an obsessive first time mom.

I know it's the season and it's normal for our little dobie to be shedding right now, but due to my inexperience, how much is too much? When he sits upright, I noticed today that the fur on his chest looked kind of bare.

We feed our 5 month old Duke FROMM and switched from whitefish and potatoes (which the breeder said does wonders for his coat) to the grain-free beef frittata veg flavor, and has been on the beef flavor for over a month now.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a few pimples on his head and his chest and immediately made a vet appointment. I also threw out his bed that same day and purchased a new Kong bed which I vacuum every day. His pimples started to disappear within 1 - 2 days, so I cancelled his vet appointment thinking that it was perhaps allergy related.

I don't know if everything is normal and I'm just being this overly paranoid mother, or is there something going on where I need to schedule time to visit our vet? Our breeder texted me that I should just give him vitamin E to help with his skin, since Dobermans are more sensitive. If it's something as simple as vitamin E, do I need to get doggy-friendly vitamins, or are human vitmains okay also? What dosage should I get, and how often should I give him these vitamins? I've read fish oils being mentioned in previous threads, but don't know if that's one and the same? I just want to make sure I am buying the right thing before I go and stare at the vitamin aisle with a lost look on my face.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
If you are feeding a good dog food (I'm not familiary with Fromm's but it looks decent) you should not need to add vitamins and some human ones can be very toxic to dogs,(Vitamin D overdose) so I would always recommend checking with your vet with regards to supplementation.

On the other hand, Fish Oil and Vitamin E are a common supplement for dogs and could help.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I'll just visit PetSmart and find a bottle for him there instead of chancing anything that I already have in our medicine cabinet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jaeger has been on fish oil since I got him. He takes one in the morning and I have to say his skin does not shed as much, has a nice shine and not as sensitive. I also give him 2 vit c tabs and 1 glucosamine tab with his food without any problems. All the vitamins I give him are human grade. It is imporant to get high quality vitamins. I get them from the Vitamin Shoppe

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey llin, thanks for the detailed info, it's what I was looking for.

Which brand and units per pill did you buy? I'll go pick some up after work today. I emailed Pam this morning about his shedding and pimples. It's just bothers me when I walk him and the sunshine makes his coat look so thin. :(

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Both of my dogs are on vitamin E about three times a week, and fish oil daily. I buy whatever brand is cheap - usually Costco. Vitamin E is 400 IUs and I just make sure that I give enough fish oil that they each get at least 1000 EPA per day. You don't need dog specific stuff for either of those supplements.

Just curious, is there a reason you didn't keep him on the food the breeder was feeding? If he was doing well on it I would probably just switch him back to it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, is there a reason you didn't keep him on the food the breeder was feeding? If he was doing well on it I would probably just switch him back to it.
Because FROMM is a brand is that hard to find, the breeder offered to sell me the bags whenever I needed them. Long story short, she played a little distraction game with me by bringing Duke's littermate while her assistant loaded a lesser quality of FROMM and flavor into my trunk. I assumed that I was buying TWO bags of the same quality and flavor that she had sold me in previous times.

I discovered that not only did I pay her more money for a lesser quality of food, it gave Duke the runs so badly I had to take him to the vet!

Anyway, I donated the extra un-opened bag and found a retailer to purchase FROMM and got his bowel movements back to normal (poor guy). Since I've read so many articles about how important it is to feed your dog grain-free, and the whitefish and potatoes bag said it was geared towards overweight dogs, I switched Duke to the beef grain-free flavor.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Because FROMM is a brand is that hard to find, the breeder offered to sell me the bags whenever I needed them. Long story short, she played a little distraction game with me by bringing Duke's littermate while her assistant loaded a lesser quality of FROMM and flavor into my trunk. I assumed that I was buying TWO bags of the same quality and flavor that she had sold me in previous times.

I discovered that not only did I pay her more money for a lesser quality of food, it gave Duke the runs so badly I had to take him to the vet!

Anyway, I donated the extra un-opened bag and found a retailer to purchase FROMM and got his bowel movements back to normal (poor guy). Since I've read so many articles about how important it is to feed your dog grain-free, and the whitefish and potatoes bag said it was geared towards overweight dogs, I switched Duke to the beef grain-free flavor.
Not to derail your thread, but if you are having trouble finding Fromm, I order a lot of pet food from MrChewy.com. Free shipping over $50 and really good prices. Fetch fromm - Free Shipping at MrChewy.com

Reactions: Instant Noodle

·
Registered
45 Posts
The last bottles I bought were from NatureMade. Fish oil with DHA and omega-3 500mg once daily. Jaeger doesn't like the taste at first so I get about four of his Bil-Jac treats and mush them up in my hand and he just gups it down without knowing it's in there. I also do this with his vit c tabs. I give him two 500mg tabs daily. The glucosamine is 2000mg. One daily and I put this in his wet food and he doesn't know it's there. So far so good. I think the Vit c and the glucosamine are helping with his ears. I stopped posting last week since he really having a problem with messing with the postings. They stand 80% of the time and I'm ok with that but he is standing them up himself. Also when the bugs are out I have noticed some little bumps from the gnats so I have been using Avon Skin so soft bug spray and this helps when he is out towards dusk. Hope this helps. We need to make a play date soon.

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
Ive been giving apollo fish oil for his coat because he use to have really dry skin and bad dandruff when I first got him. I changed his food to blue and ever so often mix blue's fish based soft dog food in with his hard food which he loves. Ive been feeding him this since ive had him and his coat looks great really shiney, doesnt shed very much and no more dandruff. Fish oil is def the way to go I think not sure on vitamins havent started to give him any.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the advise. Here's a little update on Duke's progress:

I started to give Duke a fish oil tablet (500mg) every day now. I think I'm already starting to notice a difference in his shedding issue.

I spoke to the breeder who kept his littermate, and she said that Duke's brother is also breaking out with what looks to be like hives. But it sounds like Lincoln (Duke's littermate) has it much, much worse than Duke does. She said that both parents were clear of any thyroid issues, but suggested that it wouldn't be a bad idea to get Duke tested anyway just to be sure.

Spoke to Pam (co-owner), and she said that bathing Duke once a week is too often and to change his shampoo to Pantene human shampoo. And if the bumps come back, to make a solution of half Listerine and half water. And if food is the issue, she feeds her dogs Pure Vita.

Shampoo, changed. Listerine, ready to spray. Food...not changed yet.

Waiting to see if I continue to see further improvements this week.

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
Thats great your already noticing the difference in his coat. Those bumps really suck I hope they both get better soon keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We give human Vit's Fish Oil and Vit E. For Skin & Coat. We give 2400mg of Nature's Bounty Fish Oil a day (start out with 1200mg first for a week to get his system used to it. Also read the lable and make sure there is no Soy or Soy Oil in the Other Ingredients). Sometimes we switch off with canned Sardines in water. 400iu of Vit E, Raw Organic Egg, Organic Coconut Oil. Olive Oil is also good. Also Plain Yogurt.
When you do give baths find an Organic Shampoo Conditioner with Lavender, Oatmeal, Chamomile. Too many baths are not good for skin and coat.
We also use a product called Earthbath Grooming Wiipes to get dander off.
Food wise Fromm is a good food. We feed Acana and Natures Variety Raw 2x a week. Just remember no Corn, Corn Gluten, Wheat or Soy for starters. Also there are Grain Free foods. There are a lot of great Hi end foods out there. But the best one is the one that will agree with your dog.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a vet visit this afternoon, going to use the opportunity to ask about the bumps and his shedding issue. Maybe do a thyroid test?

I've heard a lot of you mention in previous posts how there are many types of thyroid tests, some more detailed than others. Do I need to get down to the nitty gritty even if both Duke's birth parents and littermates are clear of any thyroid issues?

I think I'm going to get Duke on vitamin C as well. Another poster on another thread had mentioned that it helps boost their immune system to help battle some of these minor skin allergies from being outside.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Ask for the Full Panel test.
A Six Panel Thyroid Test examines your dogs Thyroid feedback system.
It measures T4, T3, Free T4, Free T3, T4 anti-bodies and T3 anti-
bodies.

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
Don't want to hijack your thread but have been wondering about this myself as an obsessive first time dobermom. . .

At what age can we start with the Fish Oil and Vit E supplements? My girl is 8 weeks, should I wait until she's older before starting her or can we start right away?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Don't want to hijack your thread but have been wondering about this myself as an obsessive first time dobermom. . .

At what age can we start with the Fish Oil and Vit E supplements? My girl is 8 weeks, should I wait until she's older before starting her or can we start right away?
That I can't tell you. We started supplements around 1 yr old.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The vet told me that you can start at any age, there is no harm with fish oils because it's a natural product. However, what you'd have to watch out for is the number of units you give your little girl.

You'd have to start off with a small amount (500mg or less) and build yourself up as not to upset her stomach.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts