Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question for anyone that wants to answer. My Sheba HATES taking a bath. She needs one so bad!!!! How can I get her to like a bath?I have been wiping her down and using a quick bath spary. She tightens up when ever I tell her she needs a bath. Is there any easy way to give her a bath? She is six and just so you all know she never liked them even when she was a puppy. In the summer I use the hose outside - Yeah not so good - Any suggestions :thanx:

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I have never run into the problem, as my Mysti was such a water dog she didnt mind, when she was younger she got the back yard bath, it was more play than bath. In the winter we took her to a do it yourself groomer where I could bather her myself, however if we needed the groomer there would do it. That may be an option for you, the walk up tubs are much kinder than a bath tub in your house. for some reason Mysti was never comfortable in the small enclosed space. She would walk up to the big tub and get in and stand for her bath with no issues. Also try small steps, first get her to walk up, and praise and treat, second step try a little water, praise and treat, etc until she is able to tolerate the whole bath. I know it will be a process and hopefully the groomer can work with you getting her to adjust. After a few visits she should be more than ready for the actual bath. And one key thing, TALK to her while you are bathing her, it seems to calm and soothe them.
I am fortunate my two havent needed more than wipedowns so far.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,493 Posts
I have an over-sized shower stall with one of those hand-held shower sprays to use. It is easier to get the dog into (no lifting, just pushing); getting into the bath is the piece of the process which seems to bother mine the most.
I can get into the shower with them to keep them calmer too.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I wouldn't tell her she's getting a bath if she tenses up when you say it. I would just walk her to the bathroom (without saying anything), stick her in the tub, and bathe her. When you're done, I'd give her a cookie. But I literally wouldn't say anything to her or try to 'comfort' her. Don't baby her. You're not forcing her to do something painful or ridiculous - she's a dog and she needs a bath, you're the human and you say when she needs one. Done. End of story. Not up for discussion. :)

I try to do things very matter of factly when I know one or both my girls doesn't like it. I don't allow it to be made a thing or a big deal. It's just how things work. You (dog) need a bath and I'm going to give you one. That's it. Them's the rules, doggy. Often times if you're uncomfortable or feeling sorry for them they sense that and play in to it. So just do it and she'll get over it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand what you are telling me but I think that is the problem I baby her. She cries I run. I spoiled her when she was a pup. I don't like being agressive to her. But you are right I need to be firm when it comes to a bath,

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I understand what you are telling me but I think that is the problem I baby her. She cries I run. I spoiled her when she was a pup. I don't like being agressive to her. But you are right I need to be firm when it comes to a bath,
It's really not being aggressive with her though. It's kinda like a little kid who wants to eat candy for dinner every night. Sure you don't want to upset them, but it's unhealthy to let them do it. So you have to make that decision for them. Similar situation.

I bet if you stop pitying her, she'll stop acting pitifully. ;)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Start off fresh if you can. I would use a really high value treat and work on just having her walk on her own INTo the bathroom. If she'll do that. Put a treat on the edge of the tub. Ignore her. let her get it on her own. Once she can do that readily and not dash back out, put a treat inside the tub but reachable so she doesn’t have to go in. Finally start tossing them further and further. NEVER force, let her go on her own. I would do this say over a month’s time if possible. Or at least a few weeks. Work 5 minutes at a time or less. Use the highest value treats as possible.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree with not babying her and what Adara has said. I started that with Kyrah from day one. Treats all the way in the bathroom. Treats on the side of the tub while Tippy & Cujo were having baths. She doesnt run to take a bath. But she knows she is going and I dont pull or drag. I may walk her by using my body to direct her that way. I also have a walk in shower with hand held shower handle and its great! I can barely bathe her outside b/c she wont stop trying to bite the spray of water.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,493 Posts
Cool, calm, collected and matter-of-fact is NOT the same as aggressive and pushy. Calm and cool tells her she has nothing to fear; aggressive will make her fear.

Babying her when she is already afraid tells her that you agree with her emotional state--that she is right to be afraid because (listen to your high-pitched sing-song voice) you are afraid too.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Cool, calm, collected and matter-of-fact is NOT the same as aggressive and pushy. Calm and cool tells her she has nothing to fear; aggressive will make her fear.

Babying her when she is already afraid tells her that you agree with her emotional state--that she is right to be afraid because (listen to your high-pitched sing-song voice) you are afraid too.
Exactly.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Darkevs Sheba does need a bath. She doesn't smell but I like to keep her clean. With the wet weather she runs around and splashes mud all over her. She is due for one. The treat thing I will have to try that. She loves her treats!!!!

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
@ Darkevs Sheba does need a bath. She doesn't smell but I like to keep her clean. With the wet weather she runs around and splashes mud all over her. She is due for one. The treat thing I will have to try that. She loves her treats!!!!
When my girls get a little muddy I usually just spray 'em with diluted ACV and wipe them down. That does the trick to clean them up and deodorize without drying out their skin like a bath.

My girls really only get baths when they are beyond disgusting after rolling in something dead or similar. :)

Reactions: HarvestMoon

·
Registered
4 Posts
I must be the luckiest when it comes to bathing my Dobie. Firstly I can't tell her she is going for one otherwise she goes and hides in her bed. I discretely walk upstairs she follows. She comes into the bathroom with me. I put the bath mat down for her and she jumps in herself and sits and waits for me haha funniest thing ever but makes my life so easy because she is a heavy dog :)

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Vader doesn't love baths but doesn't hate them either. I think he believes it is a necessary evil and behaving will make me happy so he does it. We go into the bathroom and I tell him to get in the tub. He does and stands like a statue. He is then bathed. After he is done he gets a release word to get out. Then he gets to dry off. His favorite part aside from the zoomies that always follow bath time.

He will also get in the shower with me. He also thinks a fun game is to push aside the shower curtain and bite the water.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Our girl doesn't love getting a bath, I mean she tolerates it because its not her choice but she's not thrilled with it. But what she REALLY REALLY hates is when the others get baths. Go figure. After she gets her bath, I bathe the other three and she sits by the bathroom door the entire time and just sobs and sobs and sobs the entire time they are in the tub. It's almost as if she doesn't want anyone getting a bath but her even though shes not a fan of bathing. Funny thing is they actually enjoy their baths. If dog's could laugh I think my other three would be hysterical just watching her having her fit. Go figure!

·
Super Moderator
22,028 Posts
If it has to be done, it has to be done. Shanoa doesn't like baths, either (and is rarely bathed - maybe 4 in her 3 years of life). I would certainly try to make it more pleasant for her if you can. As Adara suggests, treats go a long way. I've done peanut butter or cream cheese smeared on the wall of the bathtub so it can be licked off while they are bathed. A friend puts carrots in the water because her dog loves them. I'd also make sure you have a non-skid mat down in the tub so she doesn't feel like she may fall.

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
Maui hates baths also. I thought throwing one of her toys in the tub would make her want to go in after it, wrong, it sat in there for 2 weeks. She would go in, look at the toy and come back out empty mouth. My husband is the one that gives her a bath. I never had a problem with any of my other dobes, they would just walk right in to the tube, almost fall asleep while I bathed them, give them a little blowdryer treatment, and they were good as gold, not Maui. She has turned out to be the complete opposite from all my other dobes, personality - EVERYTHING. But I love her all the same, and she knows it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sheba goes to the vet next wednesday the 22nd for her routine shots and heart worm test. I want to give her a bath before we go. I am planning on giving her one on saturday so hopefully it will work out. I have been trying the treat thing no such luck yet. I am determined to get her to like baths. I appreciate everyone's response and I will definitely keep all the ideas in mind. I just want a clean dog especially when I take her to the vet. :confused:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have an over-sized shower stall with one of those hand-held shower sprays to use. It is easier to get the dog into (no lifting, just pushing); getting into the bath is the piece of the process which seems to bother mine the most.
I can get into the shower with them to keep them calmer too.
That's what I do. I don't have a Dobe but my dogs dislike water and it works when I go in there with them. I talk in a fun voice too and praise them when they're calm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts