Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take my dog out to use the bathroom and all she does is sniff around. She is 5 months old. As soon as I take her back into the hose she just pee's and poops. I am lost on what to do about that. I have the dog pads for her along with some house training drops I bought. She hates to walk on a leash and just freezes because there are big dogs that bark at her so I have to pick her up and take her around the corner. I don't want her to think i will pick her up everytime. Her past owners we not the nice to her i guess. I was told one day she wouldn't walk and he dragged her home until the pads of her feet were bleeding. I stay out side with her for atleast 1 hr. I am almost to the point that I may have to take a cooler with some alcohol, have a fully charged cell phone and just camp out. Ideas anyone?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I would take it back to basics, like she's a puppy. Constant supervision in the house, crate if you have things to do (shower, clean, etc). Take her out every hour. When she poops/pees have a big party. Say, good girl, good pee-pee! Bring some treats with you when she does go to the bathroom so she can associate good things with her eliminations.

I would get rid of the pee pads and drops (??) Consistent potty breaks every 45 mins-1 hour.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
She might be really nervous and shake at the least thing............if you raise your voice like shout during a football game my girl goes to her cage or hides in the bathroom.Going to the bathroom is training and it's just like walking and stopping together. Take your time and control her by your voice. Praise her continually..............for going outside.......Read from all the great mentors here at DT.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
House breaking 101 :
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Good suggestions. She is in the habit of going inside. Get a crate and if you can't watch her she needs to be crated. IT is much harder to retrain than do it right the first time. Good advice above.

I would find a good obedience school so that you have a trainer to consult over her shyness. If she was made to walk until her pads bled that's cruelty and no wonder she is unsure of herself. Poor puppy. No puppy should be forced to walk and certainly not until their pads bleed. Just unbelievable that anyone would do this to any dog!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would get her into a good class ASAP or find a good trainer to work on the fear/walking issues. If she won't go potty, I'd go in and unemotionally put her back in her crate for say 2 minutes. Go back out again, Repeat repeat repeat. and then PARTY when she potties outside. Get rid of all the inside pee pads, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Inside pee pads usually confuse puppies and dogs, if you were to live in Alaska or something I could see it. Jsut hang in there & good Luck takes time and being consistent.

·
T-rex
39 Posts
I had trouble getting my puppy to go potty outside when it rained and we live in Washington state! so i would take her outside and give her about ten minutes and if she wouldnt go then i would stick her back in the crate for a few minutes then take her out again. when she finally went outside i just showered her with joy and treats. she still dosent like the rain but she will go outside now. Just try to make going outside super fun and going inside not an option. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can not get her to stop peeing and pooping on our balcony. Any ideas? I can not take her out as often as every 2 hours because I work. As soon as we come inside she runs to the balcony and relieves herself! I need to break that habit ASAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts