Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common to shave the inside of the ears? Tank is 6 months old today and has very hairy inner ears. If i can do it should i take him to a groomer, or is it something i can do myself?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I know some dobes get "trimmed" for shows - whiskers and the edge of the ears, for example.

However, I can't imagine a reason for shaving the inside of the ears for any other reason. I cannot imagine a dog being happy about that, lol. Then again, Dreizehn's ears aren't all that hairy on the inside and neither are the insides of the ears of other dobes I know... picture :D?

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I trim Jonesy's ear fur when I do his whiskers, outer edge, near the base, and inside...

Is it common, I am going to say no...
Do people do it... Yes

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The only time I shave the ears on my dogs is if they're being shown or we have a scheduled photo shoot.

The hair on their ears isnt going to cause any problems, because it doesn't grow inside the ear canal. So I don't believe there's any benefit to clipping it, it's done for aesthetics only. There actually may be benefit to leaving it, I'm sure it does provide some protection against dirt and foreign objects.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very easy, I bought a mustache trimmer from Walmart for $20. I trim my girl up all the time, makes her look super sharp ! Trim the hair in the ears, edges, whiskers.. etc etc

No need to pay a groomer a boat load of money for a 2 min job. Just do what makes you happy and makes your baby more pleasing to your eye. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought the same trimmer from Walmart. I do her ears about once a month.
I do not like all that hair sticking out all over the place. She does not mind at all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
LOL In fact my girl LOVES IT ! If I get out the trimmer and turn it on she flat out RUNS right up to me, sits on her bum and lifts her nose in the air so I can get all her whiskers underneath and her ears. I tell her turn around and she gives me her butt. If I say Other side, she turns sideways. :D

When I am done, she does the whole ZOOMIE run thru the house until she is panting ;) " like a dog " lol

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
LOL In fact my girl LOVES IT ! If I get out the trimmer and turn it on she flat out RUNS right up to me, sits on her bum and lifts her nose in the air so I can get all her whiskers underneath and her ears. I tell her turn around and she gives me her butt. If I say Other side, she turns sideways. :D " lol
Ok.. now I'm just curious.. I know that they often trim ears for shows etc.. but why on earth do you need to trim her butt??

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lmao, I clean up the line on her tail separating the black and rust. also down the back of her back legs sometimes she gets a slight.. feathering.. and I just lightly trim that to make all her edges nice and crisp and clean. I usually dont bother with the tail and the legs unless I plan on taking pictures.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i shave inside of the ears when they are pups and ears are being posted.
As adults, i regularly trim the cropped edge of the ears and some of the hair inside the ear..(specially before the shows)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have shaved the hair on the inside of the ear to make the tattoo easier to see. I just took a regular human razor and shaved the hair off. It's not something I do on a regular basis though.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
I regularly trim all of my dogs - they don't have much hair on the inside of their ears, but I do trim it when I trim the cut edge... about once a month for my dogs that no longer show and before every show weekend for those that are showing. I also trim up along the tail, back of the legs and neck. I use rechargeable clippers with an adjustable blade.

Once a show dog, always a show dog - they wait in line for their trim :)

·
Premium Member
10,150 Posts
Ok.. now I'm just curious.. I know that they often trim ears for shows etc.. but why on earth do you need to trim her butt??
LOL! You can make a whole project out of trimming even a Dobe. The idea is to have a crisp, clean outline for the entire dog. And some Dobes are just plain hairier than others. The breeder of my first dog taught me to "trim anything that was sticking out". So while a dog is showing in conformation I shave the inside of their ears, the outside edge, stray hair at the base which often sticks out--all of the feathering on the neck, their belly, tail (and some Dobes have hair on their tail that will actually make a little curl at the end if not trimmed), skirt--in short--anything that sticks out. I trim whiskers with scissors.

If the dog is not being shown in conformation I trim virtually nothing. And I promise all of them that they never have to have their whiskers trimmed again.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
LOL! You can make a whole project out of trimming even a Dobe. The idea is to have a crisp, clean outline for the entire dog. And some Dobes are just plain hairier than others. The breeder of my first dog taught me to "trim anything that was sticking out". So while a dog is showing in conformation I shave the inside of their ears, the outside edge, stray hair at the base which often sticks out--all of the feathering on the neck, their belly, tail (and some Dobes have hair on their tail that will actually make a little curl at the end if not trimmed), skirt--in short--anything that sticks out. I trim whiskers with scissors.

If the dog is not being shown in conformation I trim virtually nothing. And I promise all of them that they never have to have their whiskers trimmed again.
Hehe, I used to prep both Bassets and 13" Beagles for shows--pet folks would be amazed at all the clipping, blending, hair removal that goes into short hair breeds.

Horses, too, even in sleek summer coat--it can take an hour or more, for even a pro, to neaten everything up prior to a show.

I have a couple Dobermans who come into the shop whose owners actually knew to request a bit of neatening up, and they look really nice all "spa'd" up, when they leave.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
I remember the first time someone told me my show girl had fuzzy ears.

I said...What?

then I learned about ALL the trimming, etc. that goes on with show dogs.

just another reason to like the natural ear. :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I wish someone would make a tutorial with pictures on how to groom a dog for show, nobody over here really does any grooming apart from getting rid of the whiskers and a wipe over with a baby wipe! :p I know starlaine wrote a really good walk through on what dobes generally have clipped.

I've been wanting to get rid of the ridge of fur along the side of Ruperts neck, but all the local groomers look at me in horror when I talk about clipping it off :confused:

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I wish someone would make a tutorial with pictures on how to groom a dog for show, nobody over here really does any grooming apart from getting rid of the whiskers and a wipe over with a baby wipe! :p I know starlaine wrote a really good walk through on what dobes generally have clipped.

I've been wanting to get rid of the ridge of fur along the side of Ruperts neck, but all the local groomers look at me in horror when I talk about clipping it off :confused:

If you're going to start trying to elminate the ridge on a dog's neck, I'd strongly recommend you practice when the dog doesn't have shows in the near future until you get it right. You can make a HUGE mess of it very easily. This is the one area where a mishap with clippers is really noticeable.

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
Gilette pro glide styler. You can buy it at Walmart. Has guards on it if you'd like to leave longer hair. Using the styler with no guard will shave the hair on a man's face down to a days growth. Also it doesn't pull hair out, or doesn't when it's new. Boyfriend has this for his face and it works very well. His hair is very thick and corse. If he can use it without it ripping out hair then it should be fine for fur.

p.s. Not saying to use the shave gel as well. It was just in the picture :)
(it's a mini-electric shaver. The razor blade head is an attachment)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts