Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a program at church on Wednesday nights for kids. Part of the program is a 40 minute "recreation" time, where adults volunteer to lead small groups of kids in different types of recreation activities. That could include board games, crafts, basically anything that might interest kids and that someone is willing to do.

I was asked to do a session with Shanoa. It's three consecutive weeks with the same group of kids. Any ideas or suggestions? I am able to limit this to a small group of kids (probably three or four at most), and I can pretty much hand pick which kids can do this.

Right now I'm planning to teach some basics about dogs, some information about Dobermans, and then have them do some clicker training with her. We'll probably do some things like have her nose touch or paw a traffic cone, go through a hula hoop, that kind of thing, plus the basic stuff like sit, down, come.

I'd love any ideas or input you all have, especially those with therapy dogs and those who work with kids!

·
Registered
463 Posts
What about giving them some info at the beginning like you said about dobermans or dog care in general and have a mini quiz at the end. Not sure how old the kids are though?? Just generally ask questions about what you talked about and whoever raises their hands can get a prize. Go spend like 10 bucks at the dollar store or something? Kids always like free toys:)

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The kids could be anywhere from 1st through 6th grade. I'm going to have to see who is interested and then pick my group from there.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,446 Posts
I had Mysti trained for kids groups, mostly handicapped kids, and they did simple things that challenged their motor skills, they would toss a ball and she would retrieve it and drop it at their feet. I also taught them how to brush a dog, and they seemed to love that one. For some of the higher functioning kids they would try walking her at a heel around a small area, and give her some very simple commands such as "sit" "down" and "stay", and reward her when she performed correctly. They all loved playing with her and watching her do her tricks. It sounds like you have some real good ideas already, and the kids should enjoy spending time with her, and I am sure Shanoa will love spending time with them as well.

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm planning to grap some of Dr. Sophia Yin's free resources (like the "how to greet dogs" posters) for the kids as handouts. Any other stuff that's free online that you guys like?

I'm also planning to bring her to the building a couple of times ahead of time for a few hours each time to get her used to the building sounds, smells, etc. For the first class session I will have her crated while I talk to the kids first, so she can see, smell and hear them for a while before she has to interact with them. She loves her crate and it's her safe place, so I want that to be there for her.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,935 Posts
Fun!

I PMed you, but now that I've read this, I have a couple more ideas for you to add to your bag of tricks. I'll see if I can find them again....

One is an activity thing and you can do a quiz at the end and they get a little dog safety gift certificate. Do they have any way to show the kids a short video or do you have a laptop to use/borrow?

Also, exercise before you go is helpful. Rescue Remedy isn't a bad idea, either, esp. for the first day.
Can't wait to hear about it!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,935 Posts
Yay, I bookmarked stuff! In addition to the Sophia Yin info...

Someone here from DT told me about Sashi from the UK -
This could be "homework" for the kids or you could do it as a group- cute animated quiz thingy.
safeandsound

The AKC has an online video you can show, and an activity booklet to go with it. I didn't do it as we just did a 30-minute session but I think some multi media would be cool for a program like what you'll be doing. (I never watched the presentation btw, so watch for yourself first for sure!)
American Kennel Club - The Dog Listener

Interactive games, another online video, not checked out, just bookmarked for future reference.
Doggone Safe - Free Downloads

And check your PM and I'll send you my handout and notes.

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Erica, you are totally awesome!

I don't know if I'll be able to do a lot of exercise first. Hopefully she'll behave! I might be able to get a laptop to show a video, but I'm not sure about the availability. I think I'll realistically have 30 to 40 minutes, tops. But, I'll have the same kids for three weeks in a row, so that gives me some more options. I really want them to get some "hands-on" training, too.

Reactions: bean
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.