Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with Shal Mar Dobermans in Stockton, California?

I can't seem to get a strong opinion from anyone. I am new to this website but I really want some advise on Shal Mar as I am getting a puppy from that breeder.

· _______
5,125 Posts
I don't know anything about them but I would want to know what health testing has been done(with hard copies of results) & what health issues and longevity is around the dogs used.
This isn't a healthy breed so be leary of any breeder than doesn't offer up some sort of experience with one of the Cs= cardio, CVI, CAH or cancer. I wouldn't want a dog loaded up with any of that particularly early age dcm.

You can try to enter registered names of sire & dam here: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Handy links in my signature below as well.

I see their kennel name on dobequest but not a whole lot after that.

Caveat emptor and all that good stuff.

· Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,454 Posts
The only information I could come up with on a quick search was an out-of-date website. The last update was in 2009. Looks like they have Dobes, Miniature Pinschers, and Manchester Terriers.

I'd second making sure that the parents are titled and health tested.

· Registered
9,469 Posts
I would go elsewhere. I am in Sacramento and am aware of the breeder.

· Registered
5 Posts

I can't seem to get a strong opinion from anyone. I am new to this website but I really want some advise on Shal Mar as I am getting a puppy from that breeder.
. Yes wonderful dogs. Great temperments, great confirmation. They are health tested. Had my Shal-Mar bitch for 15 years, when she passed, went back to get another companion. I have no doubt you would be happy. Blood lines are solid. Shal-Mar will replace the dog if there does become an issue. Always available to answer your questions. Puppies raised within the home and are well socialized before they go home.

· Registered
5 Posts

I would go elsewhere. I am in Sacramento and am aware of the breeder.
Some just form opinions on hear say. I know them quite well. Spent 40 years as a breeder and they are quite compiten. And guarantees quality and health. Fair, and will answer all questions, and will replace the animal if issues come up.

· Registered
5 Posts
The only information I could come up with on a quick search was an out-of-date website. The last update was in 2009. Looks like they have Dobes, Miniature Pinschers, and Manchester Terriers.

I'd second making sure that the parents are titled and health tested.
Shal-Mar has many champions on the ground, many people have started showing and breeding using their bloodlines. Shal-Mar has been around for over 40 years.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have known and worked with and handled Shal-Mar Dobermans for years. Owner over 70 now and has been a top breeder for many years. Contrary to what some say, they have top quality temperaments, raisedwithin the home, not outside. Very well ssocialized before pups go home. Most are crate trained and leashed trained before they leave. Has many people return to get another done' just to have companions for current pet/show dog, or they come to get when theirs pass on. Longevity is 10-15 years, some longer. If you are not satisfied, then she will replace the animal or return deposits. AKC recognizes them as having quality animals.

· Premium Member
14,931 Posts
I have known and worked with and handled Shal-Mar Dobermans for years. Owner over 70 now and has been a top breeder for many years. Contrary to what some say, they have top quality temperaments, raisedwithin the home, not outside. Very well ssocialized before pups go home. Most are crate trained and leashed trained before they leave. Has many people return to get another done' just to have companions for current pet/show dog, or they come to get when theirs pass on. Longevity is 10-15 years, some longer. If you are not satisfied, then she will replace the animal or return deposits. AKC recognizes them as having quality animals.
Shal-Mar has bred Dobes for many years. The Min Pins and Manchesters are relatively new.

I'd be hard pressed to call her a "top breeder". The kennel has, over the years, produced some champions and a number of nice pets.

If you could think of a way to identify ALL of the puppies produced over the years I doubt that you'd find that longevity is 10 to 15 years.

I'd absolutely want to see hard copies of health testing but even with that I can't imagine that I would be considering a Shal-Mar dog for myself.

I think that she's bred too much over the years without enough consideration about the dogs used in breeding and hasn't done enough health testing.

· Registered
9,469 Posts
I am in the area. I have only been in Dobes since 1997. I believe they have "improved" at least conformationallly over the years and have had a few more champions. It is not a kennel I would purchase a Doberman from myself. This is nothing personal as I do not know the breeder(s).

My opinion is NOT based on hearsay. I live in her area. I have met and seen her dogs. I know of one person who bought a puppy years ago and promptly returned it. It's not what I am looking for in a Doberman.

· Banned
102 Posts
this should be the least important thing when selecting a breeder.
Says you. I think it's very important. Cropped ear dogs look meaner and immediately put strangers on the defensive. I don't like this.

I do however like docked tails. Doberman with long tails just look weird to me.

Breeders that offer choices are high on my list.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.