Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to use the DT tutorial ear posting method. I've twisted, pushed, held the post down, pulled the ear up high to adhere it to the post and no matter how hard I try my6 mo pup can shake the base of the post out of her ears within seconds. Is is possible that depending on the nature of the cropping that there isn't enough ear left down low to hold the darn post in? Is she just a talented shaker? Any suggestions on keeping the post anchored in the ear?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi Grace,

Where are you located? I'm in the Lee's Summit area and can help you with her posts.

KC/Linda

Reactions: Sage and Beaumont67

·
Registered
142 Posts
Follow the tutorial that you were. I made a few changes or additions to help with that issue. You can try using a thinner type post. I used 1/2 backer until my pup was about 13 wks. Now I use the 5/8. Also when you begin to tape... start at the base first. Go as low as you can to the pups ear, starting the tape on the post. Wrap loosely towards the pups eye that is closest to his ear.. if that makes sense. Make sure to keep the pups natural fold in his ear that he has at the base. Otherwise this will be very uncomfortable and it will naturally want to fold back causing irritation. Another huge difference was creating a bridge. I wasnt using it to keep his ears from tilting in or out or creating pockets, it was to keep his posts a little more stable when he shook his head. I just used the same tape and went around the base of his ears once while leaving his ears no more than the 10 and 2 oclock position. These things seemed to help me with posts coming out, I hope they help you!!! Check out my pics in my gallery and you can see the bridge im talking about.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner was horrible about shaking out his posts. No matter what I did, within minutes of posting his ears, he could get the posts out. The ONLY thing that works for us is to use skin glue to glue the posts into his ears. I get skin glue from a medical supply store and apply a thin layer to the post and to the inside of his ear. Since starting this about a month ago, he hasn't been able to shake the posts free at all. It's messy, but it works when nothing else does.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions and offer of assistance.

We are not close to Lee Summit so I'm afraid that isn't an option. And, we did try the skin bond on her ears in a previous attempt, but she popped the post with that on too. Maybe I applied too much and it didn't set or maybe I should hold her head still for a minute until the skin bond has more time to set. We will try taping low first, taped brace and the skin bond again.

Perhaps one of the problems we had was caused by our previous placement of the bumpers. We tried to place the bumpers in a corrective way with an interior location at the ear where a pocket might form rather than in the bell. I wonder if that was causing too much bulk and aiding in the post popping out...

If anyone thinks of any other suggestions I'm all "ears"...:)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Are you making the post double sticky?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions and offer of assistance.

We are not close to Lee Summit so I'm afraid that isn't an option. And, we did try the skin bond on her ears in a previous attempt, but she popped the post with that on too. Maybe I applied too much and it didn't set or maybe I should hold her head still for a minute until the skin bond has more time to set. We will try taping low first, taped brace and the skin bond again.

Perhaps one of the problems we had was caused by our previous placement of the bumpers. We tried to place the bumpers in a corrective way with an interior location at the ear where a pocket might form rather than in the bell. I wonder if that was causing too much bulk and aiding in the post popping out...

If anyone thinks of any other suggestions I'm all "ears"...:)
Yes, it's important to let the glue set before letting them go free to shake and play. I also apply the glue to the posts for a few seconds before actually placing them in the ear. If you let it sit a minute, it gets more sticky. I then do a secure taping job and hold the dog still for a few minutes to make sure it's set and firmly in place. Since using the glue, he hasn't been able to shake a single post free...before, I was having to repost at least 2-3 times a day.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I agree I use a bridge just a stability not to hold them up alice developed pocket when i did this but if you just do a figure 8 around the ears without it being to tight so that they are still at 10 and 2 it works great and try using a smaller post maybe it will fit farther in there

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, we are sticky side out on the tape and I did let the bond set a bit on both the post and ear before applying. I also moved the bumper to the bell which I think helped too. The post was wedged deeply into the ear and the ear was simultaneously pulled up and slightly outward. The base was securely taped starting at the post and wrapped low and in a manner to maintain the natural fold. The tip was pulled up on the posted and the tape was gently wrapped around it. All tape was squeezed. Man it looked great and secure and we made progress, of sorts...it was a full hour before she finally got the first one out.

I think because she has been posted using another method for so long, almost five months now, this one just feels too wrong to her and she will continue fighting and shaking these posts until she pops them out no matter what I do. She is strong and tenacious. I really do thank you all for your suggestions; I'm afraid though I'm going to cry Uncle on using this for her. Maybe on the next puppy though...:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts