Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
From what I read it's all about the conformation interfering with normal life in the brachosephalic(sp?) breeds. It's a shame but at the same time about time. I've always been confused about how a dog is really true to it's original standard if it needs surgery to breathe or even birth it's puppies, Surely the original dog didn't have those problems or we wouldn't have the breed.

The Pekingese to me was a little unnecessary, they all breathe like that even normally, they're just panty little dogs. (we had a peke/pug mix)

The bulldog didn't look over snub nosed either but according to the article it seems like it was all to make a statement to others of like breeds.....

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,316 Posts
I didn't really see that the bulldog was "struggling to breathe" either.

I'm waiting til they expel dobermans because of their exploding brains. LOL

Though the article did send a chill down my spine when it mentioned some breeds where 40% die before 8 years old due to cancer--I thought of dobes abysmal DCM record.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
From what I've heard, the peke and the bulldog were DQ'd for old eye injuries-things that had nothing to do with genetics. Both dogs passed recent eye evaluations given by opthamalogists.

It's a freaking witch hunt.
Exactly, I mean I get the point that many of the breeds are getting ridiculous (bulldogs who need planned c-sections, pugs with no nose etc...) but there has to be a steady gradual change in the judging program to pick and point out that that is not the kind of dog that is "the standard" or "ideal" example of the breed, you can't just up and dq people to basically make a statement as valid as it may be.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,316 Posts
It seems to me that if they are only checking the best of breed winner, they are not necessarily striving to eliminate from the breeding pool any dog that is "unhealthy"--they are just trying to make a statement. The Clumber interview was disconcerting, to say the least--evidence was reported by the vet of conjunctivitis, so the dog was DQ'd--I am not a vet, but there didn't seem to be any obvious redness in the dog's eyes to me.

And did I read it right--it is only the listed breeds that will be checked this way? No other breeds might be lame or have an eye problem or a skin problem (of course, none of them should have that kind of problem and win BOB, but I'm idealistic)? If the BOB winner is withdrawn, there is no replacement dog to show in the group? It does sound a bit witch-hunty.

That said, when I look at the condition of the German Shepherd, for one, it does seem like "fads" within a particular breed do need to be reined in.

But I'm not at all a show person; I just hate the influence of the PETA type on dog breeding and would fight it if it shows up overtly.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
idk...at the moment, I'm on the fence about this. While I don't want to see the show world rocked by PETA witch-hunts, I do think it will make some breeders step up their game as far as health issues.

I also thought about the GSD and what it's become. Still reading more info about all this...

News >Dog World >Dog World Home >Dogworld

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It seems to me that if they are only checking the best of breed winner, they are not necessarily striving to eliminate from the breeding pool any dog that is "unhealthy"--they are just trying to make a statement. The Clumber interview was disconcerting, to say the least--evidence was reported by the vet of conjunctivitis, so the dog was DQ'd--I am not a vet, but there didn't seem to be any obvious redness in the dog's eyes to me.

And did I read it right--it is only the listed breeds that will be checked this way? No other breeds might be lame or have an eye problem or a skin problem (of course, none of them should have that kind of problem and win BOB, but I'm idealistic)? If the BOB winner is withdrawn, there is no replacement dog to show in the group? It does sound a bit witch-hunty.

That said, when I look at the condition of the German Shepherd, for one, it does seem like "fads" within a particular breed do need to be reined in.

But I'm not at all a show person; I just hate the influence of the PETA type on dog breeding and would fight it if it shows up overtly.
It is indeed only the 15 most popular breeds, which is bs alone, if your going to do it it should be done equally to all breeds, and yes if they fail the check there is no shepherd, bulldog, or etc... in group and it's a shame.

The vet check is only "visual" so if your dog has an eye booger or happens to be a hot heavy coated pekingnese that's panting you might as well go home, your rosette and breed win are going to be taken from you. Especially since besides the chinese crested those 15 breeds are all either snub nosed, large breed, heavy coated, very wrinkly, and heavy eyed dogs which ultimately sets you up for failure somehow in the eye discharge, or breathing issues area when they are more than likely all tired, hot, and have normal eye goop or nothing there at all.

If they really want to make an impact on the top 15 about health then why keep the vet check results secret? If it is a serious health issue you want to showcase that breed being able to get then why not publish that the clumber had so an so eye problem as they can or the peke and bulldog having issues breathing for so and so reason.

idk...at the moment, I'm on the fence about this. While I don't want to see the show world rocked by PETA witch-hunts, I do think it will make some breeders step up their game as far as health issues.

I also thought about the GSD and what it's become. Still reading more info about all this...

News >Dog World >Dog World Home >Dogworld

I somewhat agree, I understand the point they want to make and it is valid, bulldogs should be able to birth naturally, pugs should have a nose that sticks out at least a little from the face, and shepherds shouldn't run on their knees, but starting a witch hunt to very likely purposefully find a problem with each of those top 15 and dq them to make a statement is only going to hurt their entries and reputation in the long run.

Exerpt from their website kennelclub.uk

"Q. This procedure could lead to a considerable loss of entries by exhibitors who do not want their dog to undergo a Veterinary check. Shouldn’t the Kennel Club look for a different approach?
A. This is part of an overall approach and it is the Kennel Club’s view that if exhibitors are not prepared to accept a Veterinary inspection; this has to be their decision. Feedback so far from the high profile breeds has not indicated this to be a problem since exhibitors believe their dogs to be healthy. The focus should at all times be on the health and welfare of the dogs."

They think their entries are fine this year and nobody is unhappy about the vet checks...ok but nobody whent into this year expecting the checks to be a witch hunt, talk to me next year about your entries.......

The whole thing just stinks of ulterior motives

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Had to add:

They say this:

"The purpose of the Veterinary check is for the Vet to look for visible conditions causing pain or discomfort under the headings; externally visible eye disease, lameness, dermatological / skin disorders and respiratory / breathing difficulty.
The clinical signs include:

Lameness – including ‘hopping’
Inappropriate temperament whether this is excessive timidity or aggression
A discharge from one or both eyes or any signs of discomfort in either eye especially if associated with poor eyelid conformation
Obvious breathing difficulty
Obvious skin or ear irritation or inflammation"

Now did that clumber who supposedly had conjunctivitis look uncomfortable or in pain as everyone rubbed all over his face and eyes during most of the interview?

It just seems like the vets/crufts are looking for a reason to kick each one of the 15 out regardless of if it's really there.

Getting off the soap box now lol :ranting2::soapbox: and I feel better

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Here's a statement from AKC president, Dennis Sprung. While I can find a lot to criticize the powers that be at the AKC about, for once they've got their head screwed on right:

Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 08:44 AM
To: Robin Stansell; Sheila Goffe; Margaret Poindexter; John Lyons
Cc: Gina DiNardo
Subject: Re: Any advice for Bulldog Club of America (BCA) and the other targeted breeds??

We should prepare a statement after all facts are in. However you can assure and share with everyone that AKC will NEVER allow any such practice to occur. Our Parent Clubs own their respective standard and we support them 100 percent. Furthermore a Judges' decision is final and we respect that as well. The situation is a very disappointing one here from the point of view of breeders, exhibitors and judges and fanciers from around the world. In summary while our PCs have a right to be upset and concerned I will never allow this wrongful practice in America. Never!!! Dennis

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's strange that they would not allow the winning Clumber, for example, to be shown in the group, but they do not offer an alternative. If they were serious about recognizing the best example of that breed, why wouldn't they at least "recommend" a different Clumber? I get that the rules probably prohibit another dog other than the best of breed to be shown in the group. It just seems like they are trying very hard to make a statement, that has little to do with the individual dogs that they DQd. It's sad that the Clumbers, and Pekes and all didn't have a representative in their respective groups.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's strange that they would not allow the winning Clumber, for example, to be shown in the group, but they do not offer an alternative. If they were serious about recognizing the best example of that breed, why wouldn't they at least "recommend" a different Clumber? I get that the rules probably prohibit another dog other than the best of breed to be shown in the group. It just seems like they are trying very hard to make a statement, that has little to do with the individual dogs that they DQd. It's sad that the Clumbers, and Pekes and all didn't have a representative in their respective groups.
Yeah I don't understand this. If the winner is disqualified they don't have a 2nd place to take its place? or 3rd etc

Thats why it would make more sense if they did the vet checks before they even show the breeds.

Seems like they didnt think it all out very well

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Yeah I don't understand this. If the winner is disqualified they don't have a 2nd place to take its place? or 3rd etc

Thats why it would make more sense if they did the vet checks before they even show the breeds.

Seems like they didnt think it all out very well
There is no reserve BOB, so there's no way to determine which dog should go forward to the groups if the BOB winner is dq'd.

I don't see how they could do vet checks on all the dogs prior to being shown just from a logistics standpoint. The entry this year was something like 28,000-dogs from all over the world.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There is no reserve BOB, so there's no way to determine which dog should go forward to the groups if the BOB winner is dq'd.

I don't see how they could do vet checks on all the dogs prior to being shown just from a logistics standpoint. The entry this year was something like 28,000-dogs from all over the world.
So is this something they are going to start doing at every dog show? or just at Crufts? If they did it at every show then dogs that have health issues shouldnt even make it to Crufts.
But I dont see that happening either.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
So is this something they are going to start doing at every dog show? or just at Crufts? If they did it at every show then dogs that have health issues shouldnt even make it to Crufts.
But I dont see that happening either.
I gather it's something they're going to be doing at every championship show in England; I don't know if it will be done throughout the UK. But dogs come to Crufts from all over the world, and there is no "rule" like this at other shows in other countries. As I posted yesterday, the president of the AKC has stated there is NO chance of something like this ever being done in the USA. So I think a lot of dogs would be getting there without having had any kind of examination like this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts