Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to call the vet in the morning to ask but I thought I'd run it past y'all...
Took Chi in today for her 2nd set of shots. (26.8 pounds btw at 14 wks) The tech asked if I knew that she needed 2 more distemper shots, " I told him I didn't. I thought they only needed 2 or 3 " didn't think too much of it because it has been a long time and my memory isn't that good :) At any rate while checking out the receptionist told me that she needed 4 distemper shots because she's a black and tan (ARGGG, she's not a hound, I wanted to scream). There was a huge line and a Schnauzer trying to eat Chi so I didn't stick around and ask why but why? Are black and tans :) more prone to contract the disease? Is this maybe something that is just done here in Japan? Do all of you with blacks have 4 distemper shots? Just curious...

~Tracy

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
WHAT A D*MBASS!!! Actually Tracy, I can't believe she told you that, the reason she needs more distemper shots is REALLY because she doesn't have cropped ears, DUH. Your "black and tan" needs more vaccine to protect the ears...... I can't believe she didn't know that???

All kidding aside, I have never heard of that? I do know that the shots go up to a certain age, I want to say 4 months, but it's been so long since this stuff was common knowledge to me. So if they are started at the right age, they should only need 3, however like in Lexy's case, her breeder starts them a little earlier, so she need 4 shots to hit four months.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK see I can understand that but I got her at 6.5 wks and she had a shot that evening at an off base Japanese vet. A month later I brought her to the clinic on base (couldn't get her in for a well puppy originally so I went off base) and they said then that the original was given too young and therefore she would need to start the series again, I assumed then they meant 3 more shots... But now she's had 3 total, at 6.5wks and 10 and now at 14wks, I would imagine one more at 17 or 18 wks would do it, right?? Maybe I misunderstood her but I did hear the crazy Schnauzer owner say something like "that's discrimination" or something like that, so I can only assume that he heard the same thing I did...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'd think the 14 week one should have been her last as it is close to 16 weeks, but at the VERY most one at 18 weeks tops!! (being a month after her last shot) Did she say you'd need another after that one, too!?

I'd call and ask to speak directly to a tech, if not the vet himself and get to the root of this. Maybe this "receptionist" isn't really a knowledgeable as she thinks she is (big surprise there!! black and tan.. geez) or she's just misreading Chi's history all together.

·
Registered
460 Posts
During Ava's puppyhood the vet recommended a series of four distemper vaccines. He said Dobermans, Rottweilers and I *think* Pit Bulls should have four because supposively they are more prone to contracting parvo than other breeds. Maybe this is why they suggested four? I'm with Jessie in that you should definetly call and speak with a vet or tech and get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
During Ava's puppyhood the vet recommended a series of four distemper vaccines. He said Dobermans, Rottweilers and I *think* Pit Bulls should have four because supposively they are more prone to contracting parvo than other breeds. Maybe this is why they suggested four? I'm with Jessie in that you should definetly call and speak with a vet or tech and get to the bottom of it.
My vet has also said extra distemper because Dobermans and Rotts are more prone to it.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hummm, that's news to me, but definetaly anything to keep our kids safe and healthy! That would explain why Lexy's breeder did as many distemper shots as he did. I though it was overboard, but like I said it's been years and years since I was a tech, and things definetly get discovered and change all the time. And he had a lot more experience with dobes than me. So the one at 18 months will be the 4th right?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
yes, its the extra vaccination because its "black and tan" - as in, rotties and dobes (and yes, pitties) tend to need an extra parvo vaccination to be adequately covered said the research.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for the info guys... I won't make an ass out of myself now and call and ask about it... I do however want to call and explain that a Black and Tan is a breed of hound and in no way describes the color of my Dobergirl LOL
But is it just the black Dobes that are more prone? What about reds and fawns?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Are you talking about a Coonhound? I don't think she meant to insinuate that is what you have. I think she was just saying bl/tan because they probably see mainly bl in Dobes and or course Rotts are bl/tan also. I could be wrong, but that is the way I take it.
And yes, the other colors of Dobermans are also more prone.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Are you talking about a Coonhound? I don't think she meant to insinuate that is what you have. I think she was just saying bl/tan because they probably see mainly bl in Dobes and or course Rotts are bl/tan also. I could be wrong, but that is the way I take it.
And yes, the other colors of Dobermans are also more prone.
I was joking, hence the LOL after the sentence. I'm sure she wasn't insinuating that Chi was a Coonhound and you are right that she was lumping them all together as "black and tan". Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
TracyJo said:
Wow, thanks for the info guys... I won't make an ass out of myself now and call and ask about it... I do however want to call and explain that a Black and Tan is a breed of hound and in no way describes the color of my Dobergirl LOL
But is it just the black Dobes that are more prone? What about reds and fawns?

ALL dobes are included - but the most common color is b/t, so it fits better with the saying :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts