Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know my 2 year old Dobe Snoop was extremely ill (if you go back and read my posts you can read the whole saga) anyway thank god he has recovered and is doing much better. The thing is that during the month long episode I was by his side every minute that I was home and I was neglecting other things in my life because I was convinced any day could be his last and I wanted comfort him and spend every minute I could with him. Also I was trying to do whatever it took to get him better. So obviously he was getting extra love and attention. As he slowly got better my life slowly returned to normal & I was able to get back to running errands and taking care of things in my home. Now when ever I leave his side he gets very upset! It's not only when I leave the room and/or house but even if I am in the same room and my attention is focused on something else, ie., reading a book, on the internet etc. He will sit there and bark and growl at me to get my attention. Also if I leave the room he cries, whimpers & paces until I return. Although endearing it could be quite annoying especially because it annoys my fiance and then I have to hear Snoop growling and or barking on top of my fiance yelling "quiet" and "lay down" every 2 seconds. Which on a side note he doesn't understand repeating the same words over and over again doesn't work on the dog. He doesn't realize he probably sounds like the equivilent of Charlie Browns teacher to him! Lol!
So my question is does anyone know why he is doing this (the dog not my fiance lol, he needs a trainer too) ? More importantly what I can do to stop it. I admit I usually give in to it to shut him....well them up! I know though at the end of the day by me giving in and giving him the attention I am basically making him think its ok to act like that. I figure I have a better shot of teaching the dog to change his ways, rather then my fiance! Men are stubborn! Ignoring it doesn't quite help either because my fiance then is the one giving him the attention. I told him even though you are yelling and repremanding him you are still giving him attention which again is giving in to what he wants and making him think he's going about getting it in the right way!
If there's anyone who has dealt with attention deprived Dobes and has successfully helped them deal with it please give some advice!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes!!! I have been thru this many times with Parker. It is just me and him, so I tend to give him a lot of attention on my own and on demand. He is not so bad now, but when he was...say around 6 months thru 2 1/2, 3 yrs, if I would pet him everytime he demanded, easy to absently do when he would come up to me, get in my face. Then when I would put him outside for his morning two hours, he would either sit or stand by the gate barking, yipping, whining, howling or be jumpinp up at the kitchen window for 3/4 of the two hours. I would have to put him in boot camp of no petting...NONE... when he asked or demanded. He only got attention when I decided to give it. Hard to do, but I would have to ignore him or even put him in his crate till gradually he would stop asking or demanding. Be prepared for those "not understanding" and "hurt" stares. Just remember, you did this to him and that helps you to correct it. He doesnt really enjoy being so needy either, if you think of what a state he gets in. ...Continued...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sorry, on phone and it is selfish with msg space. Any way, it will take a good two weeks, at least it did for Parker, for this to work and it will work. Your bf will just have to suck it up and grow up about you knowing best how to train your dog and quit passive aggressively sabotaging your efforts. He needs to support and help you. That is why most people want a relationship...for love and support. I mean, the world beats you up enough, you dont need to come home to more of it. Excuse me, I digress...I did miss your boy being ill and I can see how easily this happened. You have to watch to keep this behavior at bay and find how much attention is enough without waking up the neediness. You will get it right in time. I had to go thru it about 3, 4 or 5 times before Parker and I got it right. I think eventually maturity helped, too. Good luck, hope I helped. Maybe let your bf read this after more suggestions come in. Give you boy a kiss from me right before you start bootcamp. You have the right idea!!!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Oh yeah, you probably know this, but no greetings or saying goodbye when you come and go, either. Ignore him and dont make those times special. Also, after he is quiet in the crate for a while,time determined by you, you can let him out. Try to reward his good behavior as best you can, given the what youre trying to correct.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for answering. I am willing to try any suggestions! It has been becoming a bother in recent weeks. He did it before he was sick too but it subsided as he matured. We have a little chew hole in the arm of our couch due to one of his anxiety episodes. In the past he would rip up his bed or just simply grab something that didn't belong to him like a hat or glove and move it! I find it funny that he would pick certain items all the time like when my fiance left the room he would take the pillow he uses off of the couch and drop it on the floor somewhere! I guess he does need a boot camp of sorts and giving in to his behavior isn't helping. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I was hoping someone would followup cause there is more to it. I found this site for you. Put, separation anxiety in dogs Stacy's Wag'N'Train. She suggests a book by Patricia McConnell, get it. Maybe if your bf sees this stuff in a book, he will realize you know what you are talking about. Have you discussed how you two are going to raise your babies? Might ought to. Something to think about. :) I'm so advicey... Good luck with your boy and dont forget my kiss to him.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
What the hell, I posted a site and book information and now it's gone!!!

AGAIN...This site has loads of information. Just exactly what you need.
Separation Anxiety in Dogs

She suggests a book by Patricia McConnell, might be a good idea to get it. I'll Be Home Soon Welcome to Dogwise.com
Amazon has it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts