Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Andwhat!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21 month old female called Tess, everytime I take her to the shop (or anywhere) and tie her up outside, she barks and howls till I come back, I know dobermans have separation problems but it's at the point where I can't take he to the shops anymore. Is there a way I can get her to sit peacefully while I am in the shop? Any helpful hints would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would train this by starting with just tying her up and walking a bit away, returning, untying her, moving to another spot, tying her up again, walking a bit away, etc. When she can deal with this, I would begin just ducking into a shop fo a second and do that repeatedly until she can deal with that. gradually extend the time you are in the shop. You could have someone wait with her, also. You could try leaving her with a bone, also. Make sure that where she is tied is comfortable... not too hot in the sun, not to rough surface to lie down, etc. I would make sure she is well exercised before you take her. I would make sure she is comfortable with the people she will undoubtedly be among. I would stop leaving her for now if she is going to be distressed and vocalize... the more she gets to practice being upset/barking/howling, the worse that will get so I would not want her to be doing that, any more. Work up to what you want as slowly as you need to and in tiny little baby steps. Do NOT reassure her when you leave her and do not come back to her as if you are rescuing her or as if you are sooo glad to see her again... no big deal when you leave, no big deal when you return. I assume you know how folks act toward tethered dogs where you are, and that no one has been teasing or frightening her when you have been leaving her?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think you are asking for trouble. What if kids go up and Tess reacts? What if...etc etc? Especially since she will feel more vulnerable being tethered if she were in a situation where she would want to move away (from people, animals, etc).
Not worth the consequences to your dog.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I Googled the OP's location before I responded, in order to determine what the proper response would be ("Are you nuts?" or constructively addressing the question).

I suspect that where the OP lives, tethering a dog while you are in a shop is accepted and normal practice. Having lived in small towns and being as old as I am, I have left dogs outside of shops, myself. Just because the times have changed in my universe and leaving a dog tethered while I shop is no longer a reasonable action for me, does not mean it is not a reasonable action for the OP.

·
Andwhat!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do live in a small town and I like to take Tess with me everywhere I go, I'm never in a shop longer than 5 minutes it's not like I go for an hour long shop and just leave her! I don't understand why tying her up is such a bad thing? If I'm going to town with her I don't really have a choice, I could not tie her up and she wouldn't go anywhere but she will try to enter the shop to find me! I'm going to give the first response a go and see how I get on

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Is that a trick question??? I feel it's very unreasonable to not be able to tie up a dog!!
No. Maybe if you read more and more into a simple qestion or if you only read half of the sentence. And leave it alone.

Ok How is this. I would not leave any dog tied up outside anywhere alone.

·
Learner
2 Posts
hmm

Sounds to me like you don't trust your dog!!
I wish I could tie my dog up outside anywhere, even in my own backyard without him going nuts! The time lengthening trick has NOT worked for us, hopefully it will with you.
The only problem I see chaining a dog up outside is because people are sue happy these days, but if she's nice and would only react if someone tried to take her, then there's no problem with it at all. Some people treat dogs like infants, they should be obedient enough to be left unattended on occasion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts