Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Housebreaking seems to be going well - when we're home. Lucan is only left alone for a few hours at a time, but every time we leave we come home to a mess. He manages to hold it from 11 til 6 during the night and never messes in his crate but if left alone during the day for even an hour he will poop in his crate (never pee). I know he must be upset when we leave but we can't stay home 24/7!
He likes to drag everything into his bed so today I left the underwear he dragged in with him - I know, gross. When I came home he had not made a mess! Does he just miss me?

·
Super Moderator
15,609 Posts
I think he is probably just in need of an energy outlet, dobie pups need just about constant mental/physical activity especially during the day. Do you have any neighbors that are home during the day? you could possibly set up a play date and get him socialized even further when you are unavailible ;)

·
Registered
696 Posts
He's so cute!

I would try to change his feeding schedule to when you would need to run arrons. As a rule they pee and poop shortly after eating and drinking. Also, I love those big crates, but if he has the room to go poop in a corner and then go lay in the opisit one...He will. It's good to just go and buy a large crate to grow with them, but for now I would take up alot of the room he has in there. You can use Stuffies, pillows, toys, whatever you want. The point is a dog usally won't soil where they have to sleep.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I thought that first picture from far away was of him having paper ripped to shreads all over the place lol...I was glad to click on the picture and see that it's snow :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Question: Does he have that whole crate to him self. Thats alot of room he has in the pictures. Its like a two room apartment, one to sleep in, one to poop in. I would consider a divider to just allow him just enough room to lay down. They hate to lay in the same place as they poop.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Underwear could be a hazard to his health. Have you tried stuffing a kong with some peanut butter in it?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would make sure he is well exercised before you have to leave him.

I would also recommend a product called Comfort Zone. It is a plug in that gives off pheromones that are suppose to mimic the pheromones the nursing dam gives off.

My last Dobeman Cole had a touch of SA. He would shred plastic bags or anything he could find if I left something out and sometimes he would pee on the floor. I used Comfort Zone for 2 years and he never once peed in the house again and very rarely shredded anything.

It doesn't work for every dog, but certainly worth trying IMO. You can get them online for almost 1/2 the price Petsmart sells them for.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Crate looks a bit big....could you block off a bit of it for the next couple of weeks? Also give him really good stuff that he only gets while in there. I give Petey his marrow bone and a kong with Peanut Butter. He goes right in the crate so he can chew them. I was very lucky....Petey had only one accident in his crate...the first night we got him. From then on he slept with us, and is only in the crate two days a week for about 6 hours.

It will all get better really soon. We already can leave Petey gated in the kitchen for a short time while we run an errand. He sleeps.

oxc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like the others have said, exercise is the remedy! I have to run her for miles and she is such an angel, tired, passed out, stretched out, and done for the evening!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Also....I do exersize Petey a lot! Almost every day we go for a 1.5 hour hike and then some days meet up with a pack of dogs for another 45 minutes.

Carol

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I really think that dividing the crate will help him with this. We were borrowing a friends smaller crate while their dane used Cleo's old crate and the crate we were using didn't have a floor and we didn't have a divider to fit. We came home to a mess every single time we left, even for just an hour.

Finally I couldn't take it anymore and we broke down and bought a new crate, his adult size and the divider. No accidents in the crate since then and he doesn't rip up his bed anymore in it. He still hates going in it and my senior dog uses it while we're home but he doesn't seem to mind it as much at all while we're gone.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That crate is really large. I would at least borrow a smaller one. He should just be able to stretch out and turn around comfortably. If larger, he will find a nice spot in the back to 'dump' at.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Your crate looks way to big. My male is the first dog I've ever crated. We gave him the entire crate when we brought him home because we felt guilty just giving him enough room to lay down. When I finally broke down and took everyone's advice it worked like a charm. He was housebroken in no time and always had a clean crate. Letting him keep underwear, socks, etc. isn't a good idea. They can swallow them in seconds and then you are looking at a very expensive obstruction. Try Kongs or Nylabones. Also, exercise, exercise, exercise. Then more exercise. A tired Dobe is a good Dobe.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't any advice to give different to everybody else's but just had to say that your pup is a cutie pie. I just want to give him a big cuddle!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
:confused2 Petey peed in his crate today! First time he went in the crate...in 3 months. I guess he had a bigger drink then I knew about!

Carol

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today he was fine in his crate, no messes. I think blocking part of it off helped - thanks for all your tips. I know this sounds strange but he is so laid back and calm that it's hard to get him to play for long. He likes his Kong ball and will chase it for a few minutes then go to his bed and sleep for an hour!
I know puppies sleep a lot but this guy is a couch potato! He's been really good walking on a leash and we take him around for walks 2 or 3 times a day but that's good for a 3 hour nap afterwards. He does get a good work out chasing the cat - and the cat keeps coming back for more! Is this typical for an 11 week old Dobe puppy? Do you think :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: this is just his personality? He eats well and doesn't act sick, just lazy!:sleeping:

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Today he was fine in his crate, no messes. I think blocking part of it off helped - thanks for all your tips. I know this sounds strange but he is so laid back and calm that it's hard to get him to play for long. He likes his Kong ball and will chase it for a few minutes then go to his bed and sleep for an hour!
I know puppies sleep a lot but this guy is a couch potato! He's been really good walking on a leash and we take him around for walks 2 or 3 times a day but that's good for a 3 hour nap afterwards. He does get a good work out chasing the cat - and the cat keeps coming back for more! Is this typical for an 11 week old Dobe puppy? Do you think :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: this is just his personality? He eats well and doesn't act sick, just lazy!:sleeping:

******* was the same, very laid back and slept oh so much. And then she got a little older and her world got a little bigger and OMG she was a holy terror!! Enjoy it now, because it won't last for long. :)

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Yes same here....Petey would crash out alot....now it takes a very long hike and play session for him to be tired. He is up and going most of the day now...following me from room to room and seeing what trouble he can get in to.

Carol

·
Registered
321 Posts
I remember those good old days when Reese was a little puppy. It didn't matter where he was, if he got tired he laid down and nothing could wake him up. Everything he did was cute, followed all his commands, had puppy breath and then one day he turned into a demon.:devil_2: He forgot everything he had been taught, didn't listen and tried to control everyone in the house. He's starting to come out of that brat phase and is a joy to have around. You savor every moment with your little boy...they grow up so fast and soon you'll start to get tired long before he does. Be sure to post lots of pics...we love watching them grow up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts