Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to sell my puppy (1 year old) due to me not having much time being in the military and felt like my dog deserves a better home with someone who can play with him and give him more attention. We found a good home for him and the best family he could live with.

The first week they mentioned he was not eating hardly at all. I figured this is normal and he would break from it since he is in a new surrounding without his family he has grew to love. When he was with us he was ALWAYS full of energy, eating a ton, and never showed ANY signs of aggression. Well they wanted to have him stay with us for a week to see if it changes anything. The first day he was lazy (sleeping the whole day) and didn't eat anything. The following day he was eating and back to normal. When they picked him up last weekend he was healthy and excited to see them again.

Well today I got a call stating he was 'excessively sniffing butts'. I laughed to myself thinking this was normal for a dog, but the lady just thinks its perverted. LOL. Well when he was with us he didnt do this because I told him no in a firm voice and he just learned really easy. She said he doesn't listen to their commands anymore and that he is back to not eating. Not only this, but he has been keeping them up at night barking and wimpering.

I let her know we would take him back if needed, but it would be better to talk with a shelter to see what they recommend for him since I figured this is a case of separation anxiety from his owners. They are worried he won't eat and could hurt himself.

Also, when he stayed with us for that week he seemed more aggressive to people walking by (never barked much before), but now he grawls at men on the street and seems to be guarding the house. When he saw them again he seemed really excited.

Is there something I should be doing? What would help in this situation? I was told by a coworker that his dog does the same thing when they drop it off at a shelter while leaving town.

Is everything normal in the situation? They believe the dog is sick, but I KNOW he is healthy as can be. To note, this is their first dog they owned.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I don't thnk the dobe is sick, heart broken maybe.

If he didn't have SA in the fist year or growl at men before, the new owners may not be giving him the attention he deserves and their lack of experience and possible leadership can't be helping much either.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I think you should have found a reputable rescue or dobe rescue to take him in because they will assess him and find the perfect fit. Sounds like to me this new family has no idea how to handle a Doberman. I think a doberman person would know how to treat the situations that you are describing. I personally wouldn't trust a family that has never owned one before. I will be honest and say that if you get a chance to take him back I wouldfind a reputable rescue that can properly re home him.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I dont believe letting a novice family/couple a young male doberman was a smart move. Take him back ASAP and give him to a reputable doberman rescue. These people dont even know normal behavior. What happens if he starts bad behavior, like growling at strangers...nothing? Without direction he feels he has to take the leadership roll...not good, not good at all! Sounds like he is going to develope problems quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts