Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious, how many people here have dogs with sensitive stomachs?

I know that many of you have mentioned it (here and on other boardS) - and others have mentioned their dog getting some people food and giving them really bad upset stomachs.

I am just curious as to who has sensitive stomach dogs, and if so, what sets them off?

For me personally, I have had three dobermans, and every one of them has been fairly good with 99% of foods - each of them has had incidental bouts of diarrhea here and there (rah's most recently from all the crap he eats OUTSIDE!), bowie couldnt eat fish, etc.

however, all of them eat people food - they lick my plates, they get snacks here and there. If I don't have anything thawed (they eat raw), I often just raid the fridge for some fairly healthy food in there for them. But they rarely eat the same thing twice in a row.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Cole seems to have a stomach of steel. It is rare that anything upsets his tummy and he is a professional trash stealer.

He did have diareaha (sp?) on sunday but I'm not sure if that is from the chemo or I took him to Petco and bought him some new treats.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I don't have too many issues here with it. The biggest issue is when we visit and they steal dog food. Not all kinds. Nutro Natural does not agree with them and they will hack it up the next day. So the dog food gets put up so they do not get into it.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I've never had a dog with a sensitive stomach, except maybe Thea when she got old, couldn't tolerate grease. By that I mean pure grease, like poured out of a frying pan into a bowl.

I used to think it was because all my Dobermans were related and they inherited their iron digestions from the matriarch of their family. But my GSD who was obviously not related to them could tolerate as much as they could, and then I got the IGs, who being a toy breed, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had had "delicate" digestions, but they didn't.

What I think now is that because my dogs get a variety of foods right from the start their digestions are adapted to it. I can switch brands of dog food without mixing it with the old and no one ever misses a beat. I explained this theory to my vet the other day and she disagreed with it, she said I had just been lucky and I shouldn't give the dogs such a range of food, but I disagree with her.

A couple of weeks ago I accidentally gave the IGs canned cat food, Feline Evo, because I picked the can up out of the refrigerator instead of the can of prescription dog food. They had already eaten it by the time I realized what I'd done,yet neither of them had any adverse reactions from it, even Hayley who has a chronic liver disorder.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java will throw up bile on rare occasion first thing in the morning before her first meal if she's really hunger (growth spurt). Other than that, she seems to tolerate almost everything. I try and feed her a diet that I'd feed my family - lean meat (always cooked), bright-colored veggies, some fish (canned salmon or tuna drained packed in water, rinsed), plain yogurt,hard-boiled or scrambled eggs, brown rice and a bit of good-quality kibble.

·
Banned
675 Posts
The throwing up of bile means her stomach is empty. Does she get an evening and a morning meal? If she does, and is still throwing up the bile, maybe a late night or early morning biscuit would help.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bruno rarely gets table scraps. I mean, he gets a bite of what we're eating each nite after we are finished. But when he's fed table scraps in large quanities. THat's the end of his poor stomach. He has bad diarrhea right now because my dad fed him hamburger patties while we were camping. Bruno is so not use to that. The poor guy was basically peeing out his behind :( I felt so bad for him. He seems to be better now tho.

But I do think he has a sensitive stomach. Being that he's not use to having table scraps or "people" food.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Princess had a sensitive stomach when she was younger (up to 1 year old), now she can handle everything.

Naveen

·
Registered
606 Posts
If I alter Jazz's diet she gets the runs

Emma on the other hand could eat a tin can and be fine

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Java will throw up bile on rare occasion first thing in the morning before her first meal if she's really hunger (growth spurt).
Do you happen to feed Nutro dog food?

The reason I ask is because many Doberman owners, me included had the same results with Nutro.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Winston has an extremely sensitive stomach. Nutro Natural Choice (chicken meal, rice, & oatmeal formula) is the only food he can eat without getting sick. We've tried other foods of higher quality and even some of the other Nutro formulas (Lamb & Rice being one, and he did pretty well on it, but he started throwing up bile mid day because his stomach was apparently empty.). He's been eating this current food for about 5 months and has only thrown up once and that time was caused by heat and stress.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Do you happen to feed Nutro dog food?

The reason I ask is because many Doberman owners, me included had the same results with Nutro.
Throw up bile on rare occasion first thing in the morning before her first meal if she's really hunger
-These were the effects that the Nutro Natural has on mine if they eat too much of it. A few bites pieces is fine, but 2-3 mouth fulls and they are puking the next day. They don't have to be real hungary either. I used to feed the Nutro max with out any problems. Different formulas I guess.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been fortunate with Mako as she can anything and it never bothers her belly and never has. She has even got a hold of some really crappy food when I watched a neighbor's dog who fed his dog grocerystore kibbles and bits, acck. Panzer I believe has a delicate system as he has had diarrhea since he joined the family. It is getting MUCH better. He was fed Diamon Premiun and I feed chicken soup and raw. I cut the raw for now until she adjusts to the soup, which she is now. I will get her back to raw soon again

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
My dog has a cast iron stomach. There was only one time when the dickens stole a raw pork chop off the counter. :( was I ticked, all spiced up and ready to go on the BBQ. Then a few hours later poopy doop. Served the little devil right. Garbage whatever it may hold no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts