Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good, I hope this goes thru. I wonder why the breeder of Golden Retrievers mentioned in the article is against it. All the "ethical breeders" say that the puppy mills are bad but always seem to fight laws like this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I want it to go through too. A lot of people are upset with the akc for backing it though and are switching over to crap regesteries and calling them good. Amish country here is puppymill country so it might help.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is that this bill would allow even the rescues (or at least that is what is feared) to only adopt out 25 dogs each year. It's kind of a catch-22. The bill will surely - in time - reduce the amount of dogs that end up in rescues but that will take years to happen. But even if the bill passes, I don't think it will make a huge difference. Look at all the counties and countries that have enforced BSL rules: Not all out bans but the "if you are going to have this dog, these are the rules you're going to follow..." The people that have normal, well adjusted dogs generally follow those rules but the nefarious few that were the cause of the BSL in the first place just go on about their business like nothing has ever happened. I can see the same thing happening here. Normal responsible breeders and rescue organizations will comply with the rules and the schmucks who breed for profit will find loop-holes at every turn.
It's neat to hear what other people think about this. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue....

·
Registered
133 Posts
TracyJo said:
The problem is that this bill would allow even the rescues (or at least that is what is feared) to only adopt out 25 dogs each year. It's kind of a catch-22. The bill will surely - in time - reduce the amount of dogs that end up in rescues but that will take years to happen. But even if the bill passes, I don't think it will make a huge difference. Look at all the counties and countries that have enforced BSL rules: Not all out bans but the "if you are going to have this dog, these are the rules you're going to follow..." The people that have normal, well adjusted dogs generally follow those rules but the nefarious few that were the cause of the BSL in the first place just go on about their business like nothing has ever happened. I can see the same thing happening here. Normal responsible breeders and rescue organizations will comply with the rules and the schmucks who breed for profit will find loop-holes at every turn.
It's neat to hear what other people think about this. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue....
Just wondering...If BSL passes in a certain state as a complete ban on certain breeds, what happens to the dogs that were already owned before the ban?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IloveMyDobie31 said:
Just wondering...If BSL passes in a certain state as a complete ban on certain breeds, what happens to the dogs that were already owned before the ban?
It depends on the state. Some have "grandfathered" in the existing pitbulls but with mandated rules and simply do not allow anymore to be bred or sold. Others, as in Colorado most recently, set a date and all dogs must be rehomed out ot the city, state or county that has passed the law or be impounded and euthanized.

·
Registered
133 Posts
TracyJo said:
Others, as in Colorado most recently, set a date and all dogs must be rehomed out ot the city, state or county that has passed the law or be impounded and euthanized.
That's horrible :( I'll never understand BSL and why people have actually gone along with the idea that BREEDS are dangerous. Any dog in the wrong hands could be dangerous...we should be more concerned with the irresponsible owners than the dogs themselves...Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think the thought is that the druggies and punks that typically own these animals will move out of town.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Molari said:
I think the thought is that the druggies and punks that typically own these animals will move out of town.
Lol, yeah...Having an unhealthy obsession with tattoos myself, I'm probably not helping the image much :-/ The sad part is that I'm actually just a big nerd...shhhh, don't tell anyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts