Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

While this is my first post, I have been lurking on the site for approximately a year now. I am looking for a reputable breeder near (500 miles or less) from Southern Indiana. I have researched extensively on the breed and my reason for seeking a reputable breeder is health. My last dog, a boxer, passed suddenly, after 9 years, from aggressive cancer.

While I understand this is life, and it's possible no matter who you buy the dog from, I would like to hedge my bets by paying more upfront for good breading with health testing. With my last dog being a rescue, and I am not interested in rescuing this time around. Boxers, as with Dobermans, have serious health issues due to over-breeding, poor breeding, and lack of health testing.

Before I'm bashed, I have used the search function of this forum and others, I am also a member of numerous Facebook groups, and I have looked at both the DPCA and UDC for recommended breeders in my area. The problem I'm running into is it seems that both are poorly updated. No-fault of the organizations, but more on the breeders for not updating their information ie; phone numbers, emails, and websites. Most of the listed breeders in my area are difficult to open a line of communication with due to dated websites and disconnected phone numbers.

The other thing I've noticed on those lists is most of the breeders have been in the business since the mid-'90s or later. While I think the knowledge of those breeders are invaluable, most seem to be lacking in the technology department. So I'm looking for breeders who are reputable, but possibly on their way to being on the DPCA or UDC lists.

I'm seeking a companion and have no interest in showing the dog. We are a very active out-door oriented family wtth room for long walks/runs and a pool and lake for swimming. I am open to filling out any questionnaires, zoom meetings/facetime meetings, and can provide photographs of my house and property. We have a 6ft privacy fenced in rear yard and our house is approximately 5,000 finished sq feet. The pup will spend at most 3-4hrs in a kennel during the day and kenneled at night in our master bedroom. Our family is dedicated to giving the pup lots of physical and mental stimulation.

We would like to have the puppy in 2021, but understand that it's possible that it might be closer to 2022.

Wow...that was long-winded...if you have any other questions or comments feel free to contact me on hear or comment below. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Big Lil pup
6,306 Posts
HI Cop. Welcome from the Pacific NW!

Being from the West coast, I can't be of any specific help with a breeder. However, I would like to commend you for adopting a reasonable time frame in the search for a pup. In the best of times, one can expect to wait months for the right puppy from a reputable breeder. And, of course... these are not the "best of times".

In any case, many good breeders do not maintain websites. And even if they do, they may be infrequently updated, if updated at all. For example: The breeder of our last 3 (and very soon to be 4th) Doberman has a great website with correct contact #'s, yet most of her current info and communication is pretty much done on Facebook. Combine that with a very busy schedule, and she can sometimes be a little bit difficult to get ahold of.

Boxers/Dobermans... I have had both, raised from puppies. And, while I really like Boxers, Dobermans have wormed their way into my heart, like no other breed.

One suggestion that I frequently see here on DT, is to attend shows where Dobes will be participating. Pick the right (un-intrusive) time and introduce yourself. This will probably be much easier than it has been over the last year, as Covid related restrictions ease.

Good luck in your search for the perfect pup!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Cop. Welcome from the Pacific NW!

Being from the West coast, I can't be of any specific help with a breeder. However, I would like to commend you for adopting a reasonable time frame in the search for pup. In the best of times, one can expect to wait months for the right puppy from a reputable breeder. And, of course... these are not the "best of times".

In any case, many good breeders do not maintain websites. And even if they do, they may be infrequently updated, if updated at all. For example: The breeder offer last 3 (and very soon to be 4th) Doberman has a great website with correct contact #'s, yet most of her current info and communication is pretty much done on Facebook. Combine that with a very busy schedule, and she can sometimes be a little bit difficult to get ahold of.

Boxers/Dobermans... I have had both, raised from puppies. And, while I really like Boxers, Dobermans have wormed their way into my heart, like no other breed.

One suggestion that I frequently see here on DT, is to attend shows where Dobes will be participating. Pick the right (un-intrusive) time and introduce yourself. This will probably be much easier than it has been over the last year, as Covid related restrictions ease.

Good luck in your search for the perfect pup!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Thank you for your response...its very much appreciated. The search continues.

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
The best advice I have is not to limit your search quite so much geographically. There just simply aren't as many good breeders in an area as you might think, so you may have to expand outward a bit. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to connect with some good people that I knew were "connected" to the Doberman community and even if they weren't currently planning a litter, were people who might help network out and help find someone who is planning a litter. Even if they aren't in your immediate search area, connecting with a great breeder would be well worth your time.

I might reach out to Old Drum in Missouri - Ali is great. There are some great folks in Illinois, too...I have a friend up in Illinois. She isn't currently breeding but might have some good leads on where to look. I could certainly drop her a message and see if she'd be willing to connect with you. If you want to message me I can try and connect the two of you. Sherluck is in Kentucky.

You might also try joining the newish Facebook group for people seeking reputably bred Doberman pups. Facebook Groups

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best advice I have is not to limit your search quite so much geographically. There just simply aren't as many good breeders in an area as you might think, so you may have to expand outward a bit. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to connect with some good people that I knew were "connected" to the Doberman community and even if they weren't currently planning a litter, were people who might help network out and help find someone who is planning a litter. Even if they aren't in your immediate search area, connecting with a great breeder would be well worth your time.

I might reach out to Old Drum in Missouri - Ali is great. There are some great folks in Illinois, too...I have a friend up in Illinois. She isn't currently breeding but might have some good leads on where to look. I could certainly drop her a message and see if she'd be willing to connect with you. If you want to message me I can try and connect the two of you. Sherluck is in Kentucky.

You might also try joining the newish Facebook group for people seeking reputably bred Doberman pups. Facebook Groups
Thank you for the Facebook group recommendation, I am a member of numerous other groups, but had never stumbled upon this one. I was accepted and hopefully will use it as a resource.

I will pm you about Sherlock here shortly after I get my kids tod bed.

Thanks you.

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
Isn't Windsong in Indiana--if you haven't talked to her I would--even if she isn't planning a litter in your time frame she could probably point you to other reputable breeders--not all breeder sign up for the breeding list in the DPCA nor the UDC.

And have you contacted the Chapter Club in Indiana. It's the DPC of Indiana and I think Evie Sullivan is the secretary--I don't know if she's actively breeding now but she a Doberman judge and another who might be able to steer you toward decent breeders .

Like John, I'm in the wrong part of the country to know about breeders in or around Indiana--I'm on the wrong coast--Pacific Northwest--Portland, the left hand one--in Oregon.

Good luck,

dobebug

·
Registered
Sherlock
32 Posts
Like dobebug mentioned, Elaine of Windsong is in Indiana and was one of the breeders I spoke to when I was looking for a pup. She was very forthcoming and helpful in my search, but our timing wasn't lined up. I'd recommend at least reaching out to her!

I'm in Chicago and my Sherlock is a ShoMe pup (St. Louis). Tami was a recommendation from MelRae in Michigan. She doesn't have a website nor is she on the DPCA Breeder Referral page. Websites you find may be outdated so I highly recommend calling the breeders you're interested in. I found it was much easier to get in contact with them via phone than email anyway.

- Desiree

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like dobebug mentioned, Elaine of Windsong is in Indiana and was one of the breeders I spoke to when I was looking for a pup. She was very forthcoming and helpful in my search, but our timing wasn't lined up. I'd recommend at least reaching out to her!

I'm in Chicago and my Sherlock is a ShoMe pup (St. Louis). Tami was a recommendation from MelRae in Michigan. She doesn't have a website nor is she on the DPCA Breeder Referral page. Websites you find may be outdated so I highly recommend calling the breeders you're interested in. I found it was much easier to get in contact with them via phone than email anyway.

- Desiree
Thank you for the Windsong recommendation. I have attempted to contact her via email and by phone. I'm hoping to hear back from her in the near future. I know most breeders are extremely busy, but I'm pretty sure I would have a better chance of getting ahold of the Pope at the rate I'm going. I've contacted numerous DPCA and UDC breeders, and so far I'm batting 0...lol. I'm hoping someone will get back with me, so I can at the very least get on a list.

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
I just saw a post on Facebook today from Jana Dupre of Promise/Olympia that she knows of a litter coming up soon in the Springfield, MO area...Jana is very nice and is a long time breeder. Might be worth reaching out to her.

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 9 of 9 Posts