Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking advice/ direction please (Puppy)

Hey guys,

I just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself.. I love the doberman breed and have my entire life.. I got my first (and only) dobie at 14; she lived 11 years and I've beed without a companion for 5 years... Closing on a house in 2 weeks and would love to get a puppy in late Spring/ early Summer. I live in the Hudson Valley portion of NY.. I wish I had the info/ remembered the first breeder since my girls disposition and appearance was perfect IMO. I love the way her ears were done (length wise); I got her from Mississippi and named her Missy.... I was 14 at the time! :)

I figured I would include some pics of my girl just to give an idea of what I prefer to hopefully get some direction as to what breeders may be a good fit for me but can't figure out to to post using the URL. If this post is in the wrong section I apologize, just please let me know. I want to get a red male this time around an will drive if possible-- if not will figure other arrangements. I don't need a "show" dog but want a dog with good bloodlines, healthy genetic breeding/ testing, and a great family companion. This dog will be a family dog and exercised with running, hiking, and other outdoor activity so I prefer a larger build with good muscular structure.

Thank you very much... Will keep an eye on this thread and look forward to getting lots of information and direction to help my pursuit!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys,

I just joined the site and wanted to share a brief background. I got my first Dobie when I was 14 and she lived a wonderful 11 years; I've been without her for a long 5 years... I was really hoping to get a puppy from a good reputable dealer in the Tri-state area and am willing to drive 7 hours any direction which opens up NJ, PA, NJ, RI, MA, VT, and CT. I'm hoping to get one in late Spring/ early Summer 2018 and am looking for a red male. Any help would be sincerely appreciated! I'm looking for a dog with good bloodlines for dispotion, health, and physical stature; he will be a family dog and not used for show. I have pictures of my last girl and would really like a dog of her caliber-- she was gorgeous and I loved how her ears were done. I understand the breed well and really look forward to having the opportunity to get another!

Thanks for any help; I can provide more details if need be.

Best regards,

Loughlin family

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
As I understand it, Sharon Marinelli/Sharjet has a breeding planned for a bitch co-owned with a friend of mine. I would contact her. If she doesn't think one of her puppies will fit your needs, she'll know folks in NJ/PA/etc. who will.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Welcome! And, good luck in your search. There are lots of good people here with
invaluable experience to offer help. Keep us updated on what you find.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Welcome from ??? from -- Oh dang it - I forgot which State I'm from - anyway -

Oh ! I remember - I think it's Indiana :grin2::grin2:

..Ken

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Have you checked the DPCA breeder list? DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral It's not perfect, but it's a good place to start.

Another thing you can do is go to some shows, buy a catalog, and make a note of the breeders of any dog that you like. You can look for AKC shows here https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/event...b_row=3&active_tab_col=2&fixed_tab=2&mobile=N Just enter the event type and time frame from the drop down menus, then select the state(s) you want, and click the search button.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
In your area I would contact Susan James at Raindance dobermans and talk to her. She may be planning a litter around that time or may know of someone.

We just did a breeding of one of my girls, if it takes its probably earlier than your timeline.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome from Washington. Hope you find your perfect pup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the warm replies guys!!! I spoke to Raindance today and I work very close to where she lives but think her pups might be a little out of my price range... I'm sure costs have gone up since I got my last daub 15 years ago but $3,000 is too high for me for a family pet. I get the health testing is expensive but wanted to give the cost to $2,000... Before doing some homework I was planning on spending between $1,500- $2,000 on a puppy from a good breeder. Thanks again for everyones help!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sent Sharon a PM via FB... Any help is appreciated. What do the average costs tend to be? I want a healthy dog but a pet, not a show dog. What's a realistic expectation? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I don't think you will find a well bred puppy in this area for $1500 and even 2K is hard to find here now. Cost of living and vet care here is higher than other parts of the country and the price of ear crops alone has increased a lot over the last 5 years.

·
Big Lil pup
6,226 Posts
I sent Sharon a PM via FB... Any help is appreciated. What do the average costs tend to be? I want a healthy dog but a pet, not a show dog. What's a realistic expectation? Thanks!!
3 years ago.. McCoy was $2500.He was purchased on an AKC limited registration. Beautiful crop. Fabulous litter. His litter mates went on to Champion and Grand Champion at very young ages. He was meant to be a healthy pet. Still is.... Worth every penny!

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
I would be very surprised to hear from her that way. Best to call her.

Reactions: UPSTATERAM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Talked to her on the phone-- super nice woman. Do people ever sell pups for a lesser amount with plans of having them male me a stud to one of their future litters?

I want a male and plan to neuter him at 18-24 months. I was hoping my budget of $2,000 would be enough to get me a good family pet. Health if very important to me but I'm not looking to show him, just have a friend companion and family pet. Hopefully the right situation will present itself... Praying for it to!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts