Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, you pesky people, you win - "Uncle, uncle!" I give in...

Welcome to the 2011 Annual Secret Santa and DT Rescue Elves gift exchange and rescue care package drive. Here are the rules. EVERYONE needs to follow them, because if just 1 person doesn't, it affects a whole lot of others, OK? We saw that last year, and it was kind of ugly for a while. (PS - if you don't have a sense of humor, please don't participate, as the folks who join this merry, crazy adventure tend to be very playful and impish, and if you take things "personally", this isn't for you!)

The Rules:
- DO NOT SIGN UP UNLESS YOU INTEND TO PARTICIPATE!!! READ ALL THE RULES, because if you don't, and you ask questions that are answered here, you'll be referred right back here for the answers!

If you sign up but then do not send your Dober-partner or rescue a package, your name will be posted, and everyone thinking you are a poop-face will be the least of your punishments! You will be egged, and publicly shamed.

- Monetary limits - please be prepared to spend a minimum of 20 dollars on your gifts. No maximum is set, but use your best judgment - more than 30 dollars or so should not be necessary, though based on last year’s packages, we have a lot of very generous and indulgent members! Gifts should be dog focused, and include at least 1 or 2 items from their ‘wish list’ - you can get human small gifts if you would like, but please make sure gifts for the dogs are primary! The gift amount does NOT include postage or insurance/tracking costs!

- If you know of great toy or gift sites or sales, please do share.

- People not in the US and Canada are encouraged to participate, so when everyone signs up, PLEASE mention in your PM if you are willing to ship overseas or out of your country - if so, I will try to match you with someone that is far away!!

- Deadline to sign up is 12 noon Pacific time, November 9th, 2011 - you will receive the info on your partner on November 15th.

- Deadline to ship out all gifts will be Dec 15th (December 10th for overseas packages). Please be prepared to have all your gifts shipped by then. Some people wait until the last minute, which is very stressful, wondering if packages will arrive before Christmas. It is also worthwhile and inexpensive to include delivery confirmation on all gifts shipped!

The “How’s”:
If you want to participate, you need to PM me the following information, with the subject "SECRET SANTA":

-Name (your full name, gender and your username)
-A full mailing address! -Your dogs’ names, genders and ages – For the purposes of this exchange, PLEASE only include your Dobermans – we have many people with multiple breeds and species, but that could get very dicey, so let’s limit it to our mutual breed.
-Your dog’s likes and dislikes
-Any food or other allergies your dog(s) have!!!!
-A wish list of what your dogs might want, enjoy or need.
-Also, please note if you want to limit (or not limit) the number of dogs you would be buying for – if you have 1 or 2 dogs, and you don’t want to buy gifts for 6, say so.
-Lastly, please indicate the following:
a) If you are willing to ship a package to a distant member. If not, please say so – it’s perfectly OK – but I need to know.
b) If you will participate in the Rescue Elves portion of the exchange - we send care packages of toys, blankies, collars, towels, snacks, gift certificate, or whatever, to some of our most active and deserving Doberman Rescue organizations. It's truly a wonderful part of this activity.

I will confirm that I have your information (please note, if you do not get this from me, send your info again!)

After sign-up is closed, I’ll get all the names together, divide them by groups as far as who is willing to ship far away, and who has preferences for buying for families of 1 vs multiple Doberkids, etc. (FYI - if you have 6 Dobermans, I will NOT give you a 1-Dobe household). Then I’ll stick the names in a pillowcase, and let Willie and Annie reach in and pick at random, and will PM each person their lucky member’s info.

The Process:

Please – if you want to participate, sign up before the deadline. That's what a deadline is for!

You can post vague hints, teases, etc. You can talk about your shopping trip, if your dog went with you, etc. Post when you have mailed your package, post when you have received your package – and as Christmas approaches, post if you have NOT received a package yet, and I’ll try to research your Santa’s situation. If you send your pal a holiday card, don’t spoil it by signing your name – keep it mysterious. (I send notes to friends in far-off places, with my envelopes inside, and they mail them for me - confuses the heck out of the victims!!

The deadline to ship the packages is December 15th, (December 10th for overseas packages) but you can ship anytime AFTER December 1st. You can put your name on the return address if you like, or just “Secret Santa”, but you will be “exposed” after Christmas, if your recipient hasn’t already figured it out. You need to put your return address, though, just in case the package gets lost or damaged... For the Rescue Elves packages, those may be sent at any time after you receive your victims' info, as rescues need "holiday" packages 365 days a year, and every package or donation is a celebration. These packages are separate from the SS gifts - last year, we had about 30% participation in both portions - maybe this year, we can bring that up to 50%.

On about December 10th (Chanukah is kind of late this year)), I will start a thread for photos of pups and their packages (since some people and dogs just can’t wait till Christmas Day anyway!!). It may be a bit early, but at least it will be there for people to use if they just were too giddy to wait, and got their packages early! Everyone MUST post at least 1 photo of their dog/dogs with their gifts - this is part of the fun, Santas want to see their victims' Dober-smiley faces, and it's one of the rules for participating.

On 12/26/09, I will post the list of who was whose Secret Santa and victim.

OOH!! I shortened the essay a lot this year! YAY! lois

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,602 Posts
I'm in, will be sending a PM. Thanks Lolo, it was so much fun last year! :)

Reactions: lolonurse

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Thanks so much for taking this on again Lois !

I would like to add for the rescue elves if a note from the donor could be added if they would like a receipt for tax purposes and include their name and address if so, or a note that it is not necessary.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I'd really like to do this, but I'm worried that I might not get the info on time to get a package out since baby is due early/mid december. Is it OK if I sent my package immediately after getting my name? I know they'd get it early, and probably know who it is right off the bat..but I've LOVED doing this the last 2 years.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
This sounds like alot of fun, I hope I am able to participate!

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Yay! Thank you very much Lois for coordinating this again this year. Zeus and I had a blast last year. A PM will be sent shortly for the SS and Rescue Elves. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I think I'm going to join this year! I've missed out the last couple of years as I always seemed to notice the sign-up thread a few days too late. :)

1 - 20 of 197 Posts